Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Can I get sacked for not working bank holiday? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm working this bank holiday but in May when we have another bank holiday I am away on a family holiday up north. However I didn't realise it fell on a bank holiday.

My point is, I can't book it off as it is in our contract we have to work plus I have used all my holiday up.

If I ring in sick can I get in trouble for it? What sort of action would my work take?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I work for this pub and I am the most unreliable, useless member of staff. I am not even working this Monday and I haven't even told them :O I can't believe I haven't been sacked yet - the amount of days I have missed!

And no, they will not sack you, but do tell them the truth and say you are busy and didn't realise they will understand, you have a life too! - just let them know asap (unlike me) and try and maybe swap shifts with someone else

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)
    I work for this pub and I am the most unreliable, useless member of staff. I am not even working this Monday and I haven't even told them :O I can't believe I haven't been sacked yet - the amount of days I have missed!

And no, they will not sack you, but do tell them the truth and say you are busy and didn't realise they will understand, you have a life too! - just let them know asap (unlike me) and try and maybe swap shifts with someone else

Hope this helps
    Eh? I'm astonished you've not been sacked yet. You can't just phone up your work and tell them you're too busy to go in! If I were your manager I'd sack you for nonsense like that. :rolleyes:

OP: If it's in your contract to work the day and you've not got any holidays left, then there's no way you can avoid working it without breaking the rules. What you're thinking of doing is pulling a "sickie". Assuming you don't do that very often, there's almost nothing your employer can do about it as they cannot prove you aren't unwell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)

Hope this helps
    How have you not been sacked :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    There is a guy in my work who is alwayss ringing in sick and not doing shifts.. ive had to cover his shifts plenty of times! He has a written warning, and my manager isn't even that strict!
    It just depends what your manager is like and how calm they are

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter if it's a bank holiday, compared to an ordinary day? Wouldn't the holidays still have applied?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.