Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a very complicated situation with my university degree at the moment, and finance is becoming an issue.

I started at the University of Manchester in Sept 2012 and decided to apply for transfer for my second year. I now have one offer for second year entry, but because I study English Literature the other 2 universities (St. Andrews and King's College London) offered me a place, but for 1st year entry instead.

I know that SFE offer a back up year of finance, so I can get funding for 3 years at KCL plus the year at Manchester, but with St. Andrew's it's an MA 4 year course, so what happens with the funding for that final year?

Also, my third installment of tuition fees is yet to go to Manchester. If I drop out before it does, will this mean it can be carried over to contribute to my fees for starting again next year instead? Or do I just lose this money?

Hoping this makes sense to someone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziem353)
    I'm in a very complicated situation with my university degree at the moment, and finance is becoming an issue.

I started at the University of Manchester in Sept 2012 and decided to apply for transfer for my second year. I now have one offer for second year entry, but because I study English Literature the other 2 universities (St. Andrews and King's College London) offered me a place, but for 1st year entry instead.

I know that SFE offer a back up year of finance, so I can get funding for 3 years at KCL plus the year at Manchester, but with St. Andrew's it's an MA 4 year course, so what happens with the funding for that final year?

Also, my third installment of tuition fees is yet to go to Manchester. If I drop out before it does, will this mean it can be carried over to contribute to my fees for starting again next year instead? Or do I just lose this money?

Hoping this makes sense to someone!

Tuition fee's get paid to your university in two instalments, not three. They are usually paid to the university in terms 2 and 3. If you drop out now, it's likely SFE will still pay your university the fee's, and your maintenance loan, for the remainder of the year. If they didn't pay the remainder of the fee's for this year, you just lose it.

Student finance give you the length of your course + 1 year. As you're doing a year now that is, essentially, your + 1 year. So, when you go to another university starting at year 1, you'll get the length of your course. So whether you go to Kings or St. Andrews, you'll get full funding for the length of both courses

ReputationRep:
    This is from my personal experience in similar situations.

Unfortunately, half/partial years still count as a full year from Student Finance's perspective, so your year will count towards your finance whether you complete it or not.

On the plus side, they give you "your course years + 1" - and this applies even for a 4 year course. So if you're taking a 4 year course, you get 4 years + 1 funding - ie 5 years - and this still covers the extra first year your did.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissMabey)
    This is from my personal experience in similar situations.

Unfortunately, half/partial years still count as a full year from Student Finance's perspective, so your year will count towards your finance whether you complete it or not.

On the plus side, they give you "your course years + 1" - and this applies even for a 4 year course. So if you're taking a 4 year course, you get 4 years + 1 funding - ie 5 years - and this still covers the extra first year your did.

I hope this helps.
    So does this still apply even if I've already received a year's worth of funding? I was under the impression that if I start again on a new course I've lost my +1 year.

ReputationRep:
    So does this still apply even if I've already received a year's worth of funding? I was under the impression that if I start again on a new course I've lost my +1 year.
    Well, you get 5 years funding for your 4 year course. You've already received 1 year worth of funding so you'd have 4 years left. So, you wouldn't be able to repeat a year while you were on your course and still have it funded, but the 4 years will be paid for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissMabey)
    Well, you get 5 years funding for your 4 year course. You've already received 1 year worth of funding so you'd have 4 years left. So, you wouldn't be able to repeat a year while you were on your course and still have it funded, but the 4 years will be paid for.

I'm afraid you're wrong. I rang SFE and because I'm already agreed to have 4 years of tuition fees they will only give me the 4 years. I'm a year short now, so I have to find a year's worth of tuition fees if I want to go

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid you're wrong. I rang SFE and because I'm already agreed to have 4 years of tuition fees they will only give me the 4 years. I'm a year short now, so I have to find a year's worth of tuition fees if I want to go
    If I were you I'd double check that. I changed from a 3 year course to a 4 year course after receiving a year of funding and they gave me the full 4 years for my new course (ie agreed to give me 5 years total funding). Don't want you to have to pay a lot more than you need to and I don't see why your case would be different unless you've had more than a single years funding...

ReputationRep:
    They're counting my first year at my current uni that I'm leaving as my +1 year unfortunately, which leaves me with only 3 years left

ReputationRep:
    They're counting my first year at my current uni that I'm leaving as my +1 year unfortunately, which leaves me with only 3 years left
    You get the length of your course +1 gift year. You said SFE are counting this as your +1... therefore, you have the length of your course left.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just question why you would be changing university. Seems a strange thing to do to me. KCL and St Andrews aren't any better than Manchester.

Anyone can get funding for four years. I know people that upgraded unis in my flat this year, i.e, they were at somewhere different last year, but with a four year degree at St Andrews plus a year at Manchester, that is five, you might not get student finance. Then again, it is different for scottish unis, so I'm not sure. Best to ring up and find out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    I'd just question why you would be changing university. Seems a strange thing to do to me. KCL and St Andrews aren't any better than Manchester.

Anyone can get funding for four years. I know people that upgraded unis in my flat this year, i.e, they were at somewhere different last year, but with a four year degree at St Andrews plus a year at Manchester, that is five, you might not get student finance. Then again, it is different for scottish unis, so I'm not sure. Best to ring up and find out!
    The rule is the length of your course plus one year.
    Is no one understanding that?

If you're on a 3 year course, you get 4 years of funding. If you, after a year, go elsewhere to do a 4 year course you STILL get the length of your course, as you've only used your +1 year. Makes no difference if you study in England, Wales or Scotland. The rules are the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    The rule is the length of your course plus one year.
    Is no one understanding that?

If you're on a 3 year course, you get 4 years of funding. If you, after a year, go elsewhere to do a 4 year course you STILL get the length of your course, as you've only used your +1 year. Makes no difference if you study in England, Wales or Scotland. The rules are the same.
    That would mean five years of funding? As she'd have done 1 year at Manchester and 4 years at St Andrews, is this allowed? But what about if you keep doing it? Can you get 5, 6, 7 years of funding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    That would mean five years of funding? As she'd have done 1 year at Manchester and 4 years at St Andrews, is this allowed? But what about if you keep doing it? Can you get 5, 6, 7 years of funding?
    Yes they'd get 5 years of funding then - it isn't restricted to 4 years of funding.

No you couldn't keep dong it each year.

OP goes to Manchester and does a 3 year degree. So they get 3 years +1 of funding.

OP goes to St Andrews doing a 4 year course. So they get 4 years + 1 year - 1 year previous study = 4 years entitled to.

OP then goes elsewhere to do a 4 year course. So they get 4 years + 1 year - 1 year for the study the did at Manchester, - another 1 year for the year at St Andrews, leaving them with just 3 years of funding left (which would be for years 2,3 and 4.)

The only exception to this rule is if you're going to study a professional course such as Nursing or Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Eboracum- Manchester is no where near as good as KCL and St. Andrews, and I'm really dissatisfied with the teaching I've received so far.

Having said that, I think you're right about the SFE thing. They're already agreed to give me 3 years funding + my 'gift year', an agreement which they won't now change. Manchester counts as my gift year, leaving me with only 3 years funding to be had. I'm assuming it's to do with what they already agreed to give me.

ReputationRep:
    Eboracum- Manchester is no where near as good as KCL and St. Andrews, and I'm really dissatisfied with the teaching I've received so far.

Having said that, I think you're right about the SFE thing. They're already agreed to give me 3 years funding + my 'gift year', an agreement which they won't now change. Manchester counts as my gift year, leaving me with only 3 years funding to be had. I'm assuming it's to do with what they already agreed to give me.
    If you go to St Andrews and do a 4 year course, student finance will pay for 4 years of funding.

The rule is "Length of course + 1 year - previous study". EVEN IF YOU START A NEW COURSE. This is because you apply for funding every year, and every year you have a new agreement / declaration to sign. Therefore you've only used your plus 1 year which leaves funding for?... The length of your course, even if you start a new, longer course.

There is no such thing that student finance "only fund 4 years" this is completely false. And if you're on a 3 year course now, they won't "only fund you for 3+1 forever, even if you change course".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    If you go to St Andrews and do a 4 year course, student finance will pay for 4 years of funding.

The rule is "Length of course + 1 year - previous study". EVEN IF YOU START A NEW COURSE. This is because you apply for funding every year, and every year you have a new agreement / declaration to sign. Therefore you've only used your plus 1 year which leaves funding for?... The length of your course, even if you start a new, longer course.

There is no such thing that student finance "only fund 4 years" this is completely false. And if you're on a 3 year course now, they won't "only fund you for 3+1 forever, even if you change course".
    then why have SFE told me themselves that they won't fund all 4 years?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    They probably got confused - are you sure you explained the situation clearly to them?

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone at SFE knows what they are talking about.

I was told I wouldn't receive a penny of funding form SFE for my course by one adviser... however after asking a further 5 advisers they all told me I would. They explained all the rules. I read up on the rules & guidelines online and I WILL receive funding... as will you.

You make a new agreement with SFE each year. They don't agree to give you just x amount of years of funding. They use a formulae (as stated).

ReputationRep:
    I'll ring them again, but I'm not feeling too hopeful. I definitely explained it properly, maybe the person was wrong.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.