Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'll HAVE TO get a part time job at uni..:hmmm: is this going to compromise my social life?? will i have time to join any societies ( i would like to join at list a sport society and probably a few about my hobbies) ??
    And i also would like to do an extracurricular language, like spanish..
    am i dreaming?? :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I honestly hope it's possible because I'm planning on doing the same!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the job (how many hours will you be working?), the society (some are more intense than others) and your course.

I attempted to be part of quite an intense sports society (training several times a week, often away over weekends), to do a part time job (up to 10 hours a week, though I choose how many hours & when I actually work) and to do my course (social science, second year). It all fell apart as soon as I had a couple of deadlines in rapid succession, and I ended up quitting the society.

However, some societies are rather less intense than that, and would have been more manageable.

When you're looking for a job, try to get a job with the university / student union. They are usually quite flexible jobs, and are mindful of the fact that you will have deadlines and exams. Jobs range from bar or waitressing jobs in the student union to student recruitment (people with this job are often called student ambassadors) to shelving books in the library.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara5)
    Well, I honestly hope it's possible because I'm planning on doing the same!
    well at list i won't be the only one i want to have a full immersion in the uni life !:bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    It depends on the job (how many hours will you be working?), the society (some are more intense than others) and your course.

I attempted to be part of quite an intense sports society (training several times a week, often away over weekends), to do a part time job (up to 10 hours a week, though I choose how many hours & when I actually work) and to do my course (social science, second year). It all fell apart as soon as I had a couple of deadlines in rapid succession, and I ended up quitting the society.

However, some societies are rather less intense than that, and would have been more manageable.

When you're looking for a job, try to get a job with the university / student union. They are usually quite flexible jobs, and are mindful of the fact that you will have deadlines and exams. Jobs range from bar or waitressing jobs in the student union to student recruitment (people with this job are often called student ambassadors) to shelving books in the library.
    i'm going to do a psychology course.. but obviously i'll be in the first year..probably is going to be easier, am i wrong? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My cousin does law at uni, works at sainsburys and I swear that girl has one of the most active social lives I've ever known. She's also part of two societies. She manages but she's always busy, which I think is good.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you'll have the time. If anything having a part time job has improved my social life, as it's another way to meet new people. Most students at university are in a bubble and only ever befriend other students, whereas i've got to know and befriend a large number of people who aren't studying and just live in the area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milù)
    i'm going to do a psychology course.. but obviously i'll be in the first year..probably is going to be easier, am i wrong? :confused:
    I do Psychology (currently a 2nd year) and I have a part time job working a couple of hours a night in my SU as a cleaner. Since I've started this job it has had no significant impact on my social life. I still get to do Jiu-Jitsu twice a week, attend all my lectures, have a social life and work as an event's photographer.

Obviously if you get a job with more hours than I do it may be different but most of the people I know who have part time jobs still get to experience the societal side of uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)

Basically this, I do a lot of society stuff, sports clubs and part-time work and it's manageable but busy most of the time, but when the deadlines pile up something has to give. I have a very flexible job so that I can take time off over exam or essay deadline periods which really helps. Previously I tried to battle through but it's pointless, uni has to be the priority but it's easy to get caught up in everything and forget that sometimes.

You just have to be realistic about it, don't be like me believing you can be super woman and do everything and then regretting it when you're stressed to bits

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.