Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Need some advice about my ill cat Watch

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if anyone can really help on here, but worth a shot.

My cat's had an eye problem a few weeks back (we think another cat scratched it) so we went to the vets and they gave him anti-biotics.

Since then, he seems to have become quite ill. He's gone off his food and hasn't been eating at all for the past 3 days and has only drunk a small amount of water. (We think he may have a kidney problem and the anti-biotics may have been basically a big mistake.)

He's got to the point where he's become quite bony and just lays down barely moving. My mum picked him up earlier to put him on her lap, and as he went to move up to her he couldn't manage to walk.

We're really concerned but the only vets available want £700 just to look at him which we don't really have at the moment - so we are going to take him in tomorrow morning.

So, my question is, does anyone have any advice as to what we can do for now? Force feeding him with a needless syringe seemed the best idea from the net, but the vet over the phone said not too.

ReputationRep:
    I understand you want to help your cat - I have one myself and it's horrible when they're unwell and you feel a bit helpless - but you're better off listening to the vet than a student site.

Just make sure he has fresh food and water (try bringing it to see him to see if he's interested, maybe, but don't force him) keep him as comfortable as possible and just keep an eye on him until you find out the problem tomorrow.

Hope he gets better.

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately gastrointestinal side effects are pretty common in cats when it comes to antibiotics. Does your cat have any trouble breathing, an outbreak of hives, unusual bruising/bleeding or swelling? Those could be signs of an allergic reaction. The most likely scenario is the infection has hindered your cats sense of smell, cats determine what is and isn't food by their sense of smell rather than their sense of taste and if that has been hindered it could account for your cats unwillingness to eat. A good idea is to get some really smelly food (tuna for instance) maybe heat it up (warm food smells more than cold) and see if he goes for it.

Force feeding is not a brilliant idea and should only be done if he is eating nothing (try smelly food tactic first), it is very important to keep giving him the antibiotics though (unless he is exhibiting any symptoms of an allergic reaction). If another 2 days go by and you are still having the same problem then its a good idea to have a professional take a look at him but it is not uncommon for cats to act like this when taking antibiotics or getting a nasty infection.

ReputationRep:
    I've brought food from the vets which was 'extra smelly' or something but that hasn't done the trick. I get the feeling it's something else.

Will take him to vets tomorrow and fingers crossed they can do something. Thanks for the help guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the wolf at the door)
    I've brought food from the vets which was 'extra smelly' or something but that hasn't done the trick. I get the feeling it's something else.

Will take him to vets tomorrow and fingers crossed they can do something. Thanks for the help guys.
    You said you havent really got the money for a £700 vets bill- dont people like the PDSA help. That might be worth a try.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.