Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My brother dropped his brand new unpaid for mobile down the loo. Anyone know of a way to dry it out and if it will work again? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Don't press any of the buttons and just leave it to dry. That's what I've always been told, fortunately I've never had to see if it works!

Why did he have his phone in a position where it could fall down the loo anyway? What was he doing? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uncle Bulgaria)
    My brother dropped his brand new unpaid for mobile down the loo. Anyone know of a way to dry it out and if it will work again? :confused:
    Take off the back and remove the battery, sim card and memory card if it has one, put each one in a bowl of rice. Leave for as long as possible. Whether or not it will work again isn't something that can be determined, he'll just have to hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Take off the back and remove the battery, sim card and memory card if it has one, put each one in a bowl of rice. Leave for as long as possible. Whether or not it will work again isn't something that can be determined, he'll just have to hope!
    Thank you I have just passed this info onto him, fingers crossed.

(Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    Why did he have his phone in a position where it could fall down the loo anyway? What was he doing? :confused:
    I dare not ask him.:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah do the rice thing, works wonders!

ReputationRep:

I dare not ask him.:eek:
    I never do get how people drop their phones down the toilet :confused: Perhaps someone could englighten me? In the meantime, I've reached a number of conclusions as to what may have happened:

A) Having a **** and in his excitement dropped it down the toilet (and no I'm not speaking from personal experience).
    B) Texting and having a piss at the same time, momentary lapse of concentration and he's whizzing everywhere, had to sacrifice his phone in order to regain control of the python.
    C) It 'fell out of his pocket' (EDIT: Or the 'Moss moment' as referenced below) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Rice should do the trick as long as not been turned back on/on when fell in.

possible cause below:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    I never do get how people drop their phones down the toilet :confused: Perhaps someone could englighten me? In the meantime, I've reached a number of conclusions as to what may have happened:

A) Having a **** and in his excitement dropped it down the toilet (and no I'm not speaking from personal experience).
    B) Texting and having a piss at the same time, momentary lapse of concentration and he's whizzing everywhere, had to sacrifice his phone in order to regain control.
    C) It 'fell out of his pocket' (EDIT: Or the 'Moss moment' as referenced below) :rolleyes:
    For C wouldn't you have to go to the toilet with your trousers up!?

The most sensible explanation is that he was, as you said, using his phone whilst on the toilet and that's still pretty weird.

ReputationRep:
    For C wouldn't you have to go to the toilet with your trousers up!?

The most sensible explanation is that he was, as you said, using his phone whilst on the toilet and that's still pretty weird.
    I have yet to work out the specifics of C. I will get back to you when I have :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    The rice thing worked for me before so I do recommend it, just make sure you leave it completely submerged for at least 24 hours.
    If that doesn't work, get a hair dryer and blow it. Keep that as a last resort though because there is a slim chance something might get damaged.

Anyway if he hasn't attempted to start it up, there is a good chance it will still work.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all. His phone is now in a bowl of rice. I will let you know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all. His phone is now in a bowl of rice. I will let you know how it goes.
    Hope he disinfected the phone, or that rice is going to go to waste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    Hope he disinfected the phone, or that rice is going to go to waste
    :laughing:

ReputationRep:
    It worked!
    May I pass on his thanks to you.

ReputationRep:
    It worked!
    May I pass on his thanks to you.
    Just be aware that even though it works now the damage may already be done and you may find that a few weeks or months down the line that the phone suddenly dies. So be prepared in case this happens (back up phone)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.