Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, although ive just got round to creating an account i've been searching these threads for ages trying to find information to help me decide which uni i go to in december. My offers are as follows: Strathclyde - AAA , Newcastle -AAA, Glasgow - AAB, Queens (Belfast) - AAB and Heriott-watt - ABB. I am thinking either Strathclyde/ Newcastle firm. QUB / Glasgow insurance. I have been to all four of these. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. =/

ReputationRep:
    What type of Engineering?

Obviously I'm biased towards Strathclyde, but I love it, and there are loads of opportunities for scholarships/placements etc.
    The uni is nice in general too. City center location, the halls are in a wee student village on campus, the union is good, the campus is nice, there's loads going on.

ReputationRep:
    oops sorry, forgot to mention its for Mechanical Engineering (Meng). =) thanks for the fast reply. TBH strathclyde was my favourite until last night, whenever i received my Newcastle offer (which i wasnt expecting after a horrible interview). So i hadnt really considered newcastle. Some argue though that Glasgow has a greater reputation overall and hence is more impressive to employers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhamill95)
    oops sorry, forgot to mention its for Mechanical Engineering (Meng). =) thanks for the fast reply. TBH strathclyde was my favourite until last night, whenever i received my Newcastle offer (which i wasnt expecting after a horrible interview). So i hadnt really considered newcastle. Some argue though that Glasgow has a greater reputation overall and hence is more impressive to employers?
    Congrats on the offers! All the people from my school bar one who applied for Mech Eng at Strath got rejections, so you must be smart!
    They're all good unis, I don't think you really need to worry about any of them being less prestigious than the others. I know people studying Mech Eng at all 4 and have heard no complaints from anyone.

All the top engineering firms are constantly at Strath trying to get us to work for them, and I assume it is the same at Glasgow, Queens and Newcastle.

The director of my course at Strathclyde told me that last year in May he had companies begging him to send grads to work for them and he had to tell them that all his students had already secured employment!

I think it's really going to be down to which uni/city you prefer overall.
    I picked Strathclyde over Glasgow because I personally find the uni more "down to earth", having said that both my siblings went to Glasgow and loved it.

Reasons I like Strathclyde

- Halls are great, I've heard so many horror stories from other unis halls.
    - Great location, 5 minute walk to the city center, loads of places to go for lunch, and obviously loads to do in your free time
    (As someone from Northern Ireland, Glasgow is much nicer than Belfast)
    - Friendly people
    - Loads of scholarship and graduate opportunities
    - EEE Department is really friendly, I'm on first name terms with loads of my lecturers, I'm sure the Mech Eng department is the same
    - Loads to do at the student union
    - Really good IT and Library facilities
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Out of those I'd choose Strathclyde, but if you like Newcastle better as a city then definitely go there. I've worked with heaps of people from Strathclyde though and they all liked it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. I think Strathclyde will probably be my first choice (although id still be interested to hear any reviews of Newcastle as it is the highest ranking etc). I just prefer the city of Glasgow over Newcastle i think. I'm also from Northern Ireland btw, which is one of the main advantages of queens. Its a saving of £20k over Glasgow and Queens includes a year in placement. Although i prefer the city of glasgow. So im thinking 1: Strathclyde 2:Queens. Anyone disagree? Why? Thanks.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.