Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We should be organ donors by default, not "non-donor" by default? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should everyone be an organ donor by default, requiring them to opt-out if they wish?
    Yes, people should be donors by default and you can opt-out if you wish
    59.24%
    No, people should be non-donors by default and opt-in
    40.76%

ReputationRep:
    I think they should change the current system (which is you have to opt in to be a donor) so that everyone is a donor unless they specifically opt out. Just how many lives this could save per year is probably staggering!

Anyone else agree? Would be really nice if Government implemented it....

So many people wouldn't mind donating their organs- but don't make the effort to get an organ donor card.

ReputationRep:
    Although you have a good point, I believe that you should have the freedom of choice to be an organ donor or not. Rather than being forced into when you're born, and would probably be against the social norms to opt out.

ReputationRep:
    I think organ donation is brilliant and I'm on the register myself but I don't think the state should have automatic rights to your organs. They're yours!

ReputationRep:
    agreed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthonyla65)
    Although you have a good point, I believe that you should have the freedom of choice to be an organ donor or not. Rather than being forced into when you're born, and would probably be against the social norms to opt out.
    You do have the freedom of choice- you choose to opt out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    I think organ donation is brilliant and I'm on the register myself but I don't think the state should have automatic rights to your organs. Their yours!
    Then you opt out?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, most people don't have a specific objection to it it's just that they haven't taken the time to register.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Then you opt out?
    I'm very tempted to agree with you but presumption of consent doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Also, even the BMJ say it wouldn't increase donation rates. http://www.bmj.com/content/337/bmj.a1614

I think encouraging people to join the register and showing them the good it can do would be much more effective.

ReputationRep:
    Think of the religious people that may not even speak English, or what about people who are mute or severely disabled who may not be able to express their wishes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    Think of the religious people that may not even speak English, or what about people who are mute or severely disabled who may not be able to express their wishes.

Think of the religious people!!?? A person dying is a greater tragedy than a persons' organs being used to save a life rather than letting it rot.

ReputationRep:

Think of the religious people!!?? A person dying is a greater tragedy than a persons' organs being used to save a life rather than letting it rot.
    Of course but you cannot harvest organs without consent. Thanks for missing out the other half of my sentence btw.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I would like to see an increased amount of organ donors, I am uncomfortable with the state assuming automatic ownership of my body after I die. Perhaps a better system would be to send a person a letter encouraging them to sign when they reach the eligible donation age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    You do have the freedom of choice- you choose to opt out?
    But as I said, the problem with everyone being a donor is that it becomes a social norm. And you being a deviation by opting out and would probably be frowned upon. In the end, its your organs. I just don't think the state should have automatic rights in taking your organs when you're gone. Its one of those things like voting, what age is the correct age for someone know enough about politics to vote? In this case, how old should you be to be able to think for yourself and opt out? Another comparison would be automatically donating your wealth to charities when you're dead if you don't have a will. Same concept really. The system is fine as it is.

ReputationRep:
    Of course but you cannot harvest organs without consent. Thanks for missing out the other half of my sentence btw.
    I didn't miss it out, I just didn't comment on it! It was sensible.

I agree that religious people should be allowed to say their organs can't be transplanted, after all they're their organs! But I still think their reasons are pathetic, that's all I was saying.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps a system where letters are sent out and you have to respond. It would take just as much effort either way.

I signed up and did mine after reading a thread here on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    As much as I would like to see an increased amount of organ donors, I am uncomfortable with the state assuming automatic ownership of my body after I die. Perhaps a better system would be to send a person a letter encouraging them to sign when they reach the eligible donation age?
    Indeed, gentle persuasion through showing somebody the benefits is more acceptable than just taking a person's organs and is probably much more effective.

ReputationRep:
    We should have the choice simple. yes ill give my organs. no i will not give my organs. its fine how it is.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very tempted to agree with you but presumption of consent doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Also, even the BMJ say it wouldn't increase donation rates. http://www.bmj.com/content/337/bmj.a1614

I think encouraging people to join the register and showing them the good it can do would be much more effective.
    If you state it wouldn't increase donor rates then you are also saying every single person who hasnt got a donor card now, would, in my system, opt out? I doubt that very much...

ReputationRep:
    Think of the religious people that may not even speak English
    Then why are they living in Britain?

or what about people who are mute or severely disabled who may not be able to express their wishes.
    Well they have other decisions made whilst they are alive, so I doubt this one, regarding when they are dead, is going to be worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthonyla65)
    The system is fine as it is.
    Errr how is it fine? Hundreds of thousands of healthy organs are buried in the ground when there are thousands of ill people who need them?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.