Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Im not too sure if this is the right place to post this but I need some help with getting accommodation. Basically I want to move out and live with some of my friends but Ive noticed that all the student flats require guarantors. My parents don't want me to move out and so are refusing to sign as my guarantor.....and I have no one else to ask.

Is there any alternatives to a guarantor other than paying annually, which is something I can't afford.

Some help and experiences would really be appreciated! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I almost ran ito this problem - my parents were being difficult over it - and unfortunately I didn't manage to find much of a solution, as all landlords seemed to require guarantors. However,
    - some will accept 6+ months rent in advance. Switch to the student account with the biggest free overdraft and use that + any savings that you might currently have / can scrape together. You could also consider a 0% credit card - but of course don't forget that you will have to pay all of this back relatively rapidly. Have a look at www.moneysavingexpert.com to work out the best student accounts and 0% credit cards for you.
    - try and find another adult who will sign (sibling? grandparent? aunt? cousin?). Some are more fussy than others about who they will accept as a guarantor. My current landlord just wanted someone aged 18+ with a pulse. The agents for next years house wanted someone in full time employment, but quickly relented when I couldn't provide that.
    - one letting agent suggested that I forge the documents. Not that I'm recommending that!

Precisely how your parents came to the conclusion that they should have this much control over your life is a mystery to me.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum did this before I moved into my current place. She said she'd be my guarantor but when we found something she denied all knowledge of this then told me she wouldn't be able to cover the rent if I didn't pay. She's been my guarantor for 2 years up until now, with no issues. Nice to know you trust me, Mum! :rolleyes:

I managed to get another adult to sign for me though, is there seriously nobody who would be willing to sign? Or yeah, you could always forge documents, just make dead sure you don't mess up payments. And nobody finds out. In fact, I didn't even tell you to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I almost ran ito this problem - my parents were being difficult over it - and unfortunately I didn't manage to find much of a solution, as all landlords seemed to require guarantors. However,
    - some will accept 6+ months rent in advance. Switch to the student account with the biggest free overdraft and use that + any savings that you might currently have / can scrape together. You could also consider a 0% credit card - but of course don't forget that you will have to pay all of this back relatively rapidly. Have a look at www.moneysavingexpert.com to work out the best student accounts and 0% credit cards for you.
    - try and find another adult who will sign (sibling? grandparent? aunt? cousin?). Some are more fussy than others about who they will accept as a guarantor. My current landlord just wanted someone aged 18+ with a pulse. The agents for next years house wanted someone in full time employment, but quickly relented when I couldn't provide that.
    - one letting agent suggested that I forge the documents. Not that I'm recommending that!

Precisely how your parents came to the conclusion that they should have this much control over your life is a mystery to me.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about the six months up front but I really didnt think I could afford it... but u say I cant use a students account?? Theres really no one else who can sign for me D: my parents are sure that I dont need to move out but its something I feel ready to do. Do u think I could go to my students union and get help??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    My Mum did this before I moved into my current place. She said she'd be my guarantor but when we found something she denied all knowledge of this then told me she wouldn't be able to cover the rent if I didn't pay. She's been my guarantor for 2 years up until now, with no issues. Nice to know you trust me, Mum! :rolleyes:

I managed to get another adult to sign for me though, is there seriously nobody who would be willing to sign? Or yeah, you could always forge documents, just make dead sure you don't mess up payments. And nobody finds out. In fact, I didn't even tell you to do that.
    Thanks for your reply Theres really no one else My parents are just scared that I wont be able to pay.... Im too much of a chicken to forge anything ahahah :P A friend suggested that I could go to the student union, do u think they would help me out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoggjz000)
    Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about the six months up front but I really didnt think I could afford it... but u say I cant use a students account?? Theres really no one else who can sign for me D: my parents are sure that I dont need to move out but its something I feel ready to do. Do u think I could go to my students union and get help??
    You *can* use a student account! You *can* also use a 0% credit card, though you have to make very sure that you pay it all off before the 0% period ends.

The help that is available from SUs varies, so I would suggest that you go and ask them yourself.

Given that you mention your parents are worried you won't be able to pay do you think you could sit down with your parents and work out a budget, and see how realistic it all is? It might help allay their fears.

ReputationRep:
    What about your friends parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)

you should have said it anon he he

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    What about your friends parents?

I really dont think I could ask them........

ReputationRep:
    You *can* use a student account! You *can* also use a 0% credit card, though you have to make very sure that you pay it all off before the 0% period ends.

The help that is available from SUs varies, so I would suggest that you go and ask them yourself.

Given that you mention your parents are worried you won't be able to pay do you think you could sit down with your parents and work out a budget, and see how realistic it all is? It might help allay their fears.
    I tried to explain to my parents that I could afford it but for some reason their dead set against it and wont listen. I went to uni a year early so I think their worried that I am still too young for all of this responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you write up a rent payment plan (where you're getting the money from, what you'll pay each month etc)? Perhaps if they see you being mature, organised and taking it seriously they'll change their minds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snailsareslimy)
    Why don't you write up a rent payment plan (where you're getting the money from, what you'll pay each month etc)? Perhaps if they see you being mature, organised and taking it seriously they'll change their minds.
    Thanks for your reply. I tried that but they're being really stubborn about this. :/

ReputationRep:
    Just be a moody little brat and once they see how depressed you are they might reconsider.

I have a feeling my mum will be the same cos i know she wanted to stay at home for uni (i go in september). But i told her politely to f**k off and to let me live my life.

I cannot wait because she is so f**king annoying and she even rings me up when I'm out clubbing to tell me i should go church, I'm not even a christian.

Man I'm counting down the days!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tish)
    Just be a moody little brat and once they see how depressed you are they might reconsider.

I have a feeling my mum will be the same cos i know she wanted to stay at home for uni (i go in september). But i told her politely to f**k off and to let me live my life.

I cannot wait because she is so f**king annoying and she even rings me up when I'm out clubbing to tell me i should go church, I'm not even a christian.

Man I'm counting down the days!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahahahahahah unfortunately being moody wont help :L My sisters the moodiest person u'll meet, my parents are pros at dealing with stuff like that :P

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm writing from the Student Lettings Agency in Canterbury. We also require guarantors but when students are unable to provide them, we accept the last 3 months of rent paid in advance instead. We also don't take deposits! So although Origami Bullets said "some will accept 6+ months rent in advance", you should be aware that there are better deals out there to be had.

Shop around and take your time, keep your eye on gumtree, spareroom, and placebuzz - smaller letting agencies and landlords often post directly to these free sites.

Hope that helps
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    How about a friend's parents if you know one of their families particularly well, that's what I'd do.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how not signing it gives them more control, signing it means they are supporting you even more. Which means they have more control they're your guarantors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkwan196)
    I don't see how not signing it gives them more control, signing it means they are supporting you even more. Which means they have more control they're your guarantors
    Her parents are attempting to use not signing as a way to control her by preventing her from moving out of the family home.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.