Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When you speak to those who haven't gone to university about the cost of student halls and housing, I've found that most are gobsmacked by the amount we are charged.

For a small four (three by non-student standards) bedroom S.Coast terrace house in a cruddy area, we're currently paying £1300 P/M. This is before bills and the house is modestly furnished.

I'd be confident that your own situations will generally be similar to this and in some cases worse. Why are student landlords allowed to charge these ridiculous prices and treat genuine problems raised by students so badly?

Is it not time that restrictions were brought in, as we're currently paying enough to pay the morgage on a detached family home... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I found this too...I lived with three housemates last year in a three bedroom (was also classed as four) end terrace. We paid about the same. The rent was actually about 400 less per month for non-students. I debated this with the estate agent who said Landlords are permitted to change the rent based on the kind of tenants who will be living there and because we were classed as "high risk" the price shot up.

I can understand this from a Landlord point of view but I don't think it is necessary. Why didn't he just say..I don't want students living there. But to be honest...I think they do that on purpose. More money for them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    just not going to happen

ReputationRep:
    Capitalism. They're charging what the market will bear, as four students will have more money available than a couple with kids, so they can get away with it.

Rent control has a long and varied history (if you're more interested than me, then there's a Wikipedia article) but I don't see any interest in rent controls at the minute because
    - it's a Conservative government, and conservatives err towards free market economics
    - house prices are falling anyway, but house prices in student areas are being propped up by the potential for some very profitable BTL landlording
    - moves that depress house prices even further would be politically disastrous
    - the student housing market is about to start some fairly major shifts anyway, as a result of falling student numbers, which are the result of fee rises and a falling number of 18 year olds in existance

ReputationRep:
    I assume it's because you are all paying seperately for your room so it's the essentially the same reason as why it costs more if you were to each buy a tin of beans rather than get the 4-pack between you. It was the same thing when my cousin rented a room in a non-student house share.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.