Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter


    For the past year I've been going through phases of feeling irritation, lacking in motivation and mood swings and was wondering if it was something I need to talk to my GP about.Generally, I am quite a nervous person and tend to worry a lot about even the simplest of things, even to the point where I begin to worry about worrying.

    When I go through these phases (as I mentioned above) I don't feel like I can talk to anyone, or even make the effort to put on a brave face and smile for my friends and family. It feels mentally and physically too much for me to do, and it feels wrong when I try to smile or talk more animatedly to others. Sometimes I feel particularly angry with myself and others for no real reason, and when I do go through an anxious episode, I feel physically sick and out of control/ confused.

    When I'm in an irritable mood, I tend to avoid talking to my friends or going to see them, much preferring to spend my time indoors, alone. I've been speaking to my councillor about how I'm feeling, however it feels like nothing is working, and that it isn't making any difference to how I feel.

    Should I see medical help from my local GP? And, being the anxious person I am, how should I go about approaching them and explain how I feel?


    I would say you have possible low self esteem, and low esteem can manifest into different roles and if you see a good locum gp and see what they suggest. Don't go straight into anti depressants as from my experience they surpress the feelings that perhaps you need to air. Maybe counselling would be a good place to start. Maybe jot things down that might be troubling you and then taking those notes to the counsellor that you can slowly target these anxieties. Best of luck x

    Hello there!

    I hope you're doing well when you read this. First of all, feeling irritated, lacking motivation, and occasional mood swings are completely normal. If they are getting to the point that you can't function normally (i.e. you're lashing out at people all the time, you aren't getting any work done, or you go from excited to depressed at the drop of a dime), then you need to see someone.

    Nearly everyone experiences the negative symptoms like this. Why don't you talk to some family members or friends, asking if they have experienced this and how they coped? There are always the simpler techniques -- reading a book, going for a walk, taking a long bath, listening to music, etc. Even if you want to dance about your kitchen, clad only in the skin you were born and belting out horrible pop music, do what is going to make you feel better! There are always things to try before you see a doctor.

    If all else fails or you are genuinely concerned for your well being, then go to your GP who can either refer you somewhere else or help you out. I'm not sure how this works in the UK, so I'm sorry for my lack of info there, but you just need to take the first leap into helping yourself. Whether you see a therapist, look into medicine, or even just use holistic methods, the goal is to do something.

    If you need someone to talk to about this, you can always message me. Stay strong, and I wish you the best.

    I'm not a doctor, but I'll try help.

    "Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can have a negative effect on a person's thoughts, behaviour, feelings, world view, and physical well-being. Depressed people may feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, worried, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable, hurt, or restless. They may lose interest in activities that once were pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, have problems concentrating, remembering details, or making decisions, and may contemplate or attempt suicide. Insomnia, excessive sleeping, fatigue, loss of energy, or aches, pains, or digestive problems that are resistant to treatment may also be present"

    If this sounds like you, then it may well be depression.

    However, it sounds as if you have the following:


    "A dysphoric mood is chronic or recurring for a minimum of 4 weeks and has at least four of the following symptoms: troubles concentrating or with memory, disturbed sleep, tiredness or lack of energy, feeling irritable, worrying, crying easily, enhanced sensory state, expecting the worst, feeling hopeless or pessimistic, or having low self esteem/feeling worthless."

    Usually doctors aren't entirely efficient at giving good diagnosis's, but I'd try see a GP and explain you're condition and see what help they might be able to provide.

    I wish you the very best in you're recovery.

    Kindest Regards,


    I think it would be a good idea to see you GP, I'm sure they'll be able to offer you some help and support! I went to my doctor with anxiety and depression a few months ago and I was so nervous that I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get any words out and I would just cry before I even started talking! So I wrote down how I was feeling and what I thought was wrong on a piece of paper and just handed it to my doctor so I could calm myself down while she read it! This really helped and reduced my worries! I recommend doing this is you're worried about it!

    Hope you start feeling better soon!

    This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.