Turn on thread page Beta

Should I buy an £1100 guitar? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have about three grand saved up for the summer and next year mayb. Im gonna earn another two by may. Im gonna spend two or so travelling in june and july. So should I blow more than a grand on a sweet sweet guitar (1995 Les Paul Custom for those who know or care)? Its a lot of cash and I know this time next year I'll be shouting at it for coxting so much, but.....its beautiful, irrestible, and incredibly expensive, like a high class...violin (of comparable stature)

ReputationRep:
    Yes buy it, you can't put a price on music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    I have about three grand saved up for the summer and next year mayb. Im gonna earn another two by may. Im gonna spend two or so travelling in june and july. So should I blow more than a grand on a sweet sweet guitar (1995 Les Paul Custom for those who know or care)? Its a lot of cash and I know this time next year I'll be shouting at it for coxting so much, but.....its beautiful, irrestible, and incredibly expensive, like a high class...violin (of comparable stature)
    Yeah, buy it & buy me 1 as well!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, do it. It's your money and you only live once. You could get run over by a bus next week.

ReputationRep:
    Are you buying it from a shop? If so, why not finance it? (provided they offer a reasonable interest rate) That'll let you have the guitar now and pay for it gradually rather than in one fell swoop, so keeping most of that $1000 where it belongs......in your bank account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    Yeah, do it. It's your money and you only live once. You could get run over by a bus next week.
    Yeah, good fact!!Could've put it better

ReputationRep:
    I dont know where you come from, probably US from ur use of $ insted of £, but in Britain guitar shops are inhabited by beardy old men and beardier students, who think that finance are attractive insects

ReputationRep:
    I dont know where you come from, probably US from ur use of $ insted of £, but in Britain guitar shops are inhabited by beardy old men and beardier students, who think that finance are attractive insects
    Oh. In that case, buy it anyway. My Dad was a carpenter and he always used to tell me, "Son, if you're gonna buy a tool, you don't have to buy the best, just the best you can"

I think it's a good principle, easily as applicable to a guitar as a new circular saw!

ReputationRep:
    1995 Les Paul: Some find the neck really uncomfortable and the body too heavy. But...

Get to a music shop or whoever's selling it and play the damn thing for hours! Try to use it with the same equipment (amps, stompboxes etc) as you'd be playing it with. If you fall in love with it then it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    well if its gona b worth it, and u have a passion for ur msuic, go for it

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much you'll use it, and whether it's a planned decision as opposed to a spontaneous one.

ReputationRep:
    Won't this be an inestment of sort? £1100 one day, then sell it on for £2000 tommorow

ReputationRep:
    Buy it and look after it well... It could be a good investment!

ReputationRep:
    BUY IT BUT IT BUY IT! Then take a picture of in an post it uop on the site. I liiiike guitars

ReputationRep:
    Les paul custom - fuk yeh you should buy it!

try and haggle for £1000, or at least get some free stuff like a case n that, guitar shops usually are quite good like that, especialy with the more expensive stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    Les paul custom - fuk yeh you should buy it!

try and haggle for £1000, or at least get some free stuff like a case n that, guitar shops usually are quite good like that, especialy with the more expensive stuff
    When I'm 18, i'm getting a wait one minue i can't remember the name! Not an Aston martyn thats a car...erm...

Gibson Les Paul or a FENDER STRATOCASTER

ReputationRep:
    buy it if thats what you want, music equipment rock i bought a really beautiful synthesizer around for the same price last year, and its worth every penny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I hope you're not a bus driver.
    thats man slaughter

ReputationRep:
    i'd only ever pay that sort of money for a jag-stang

ReputationRep:
    I am not a guitarist myself but I know about the issues as I have a guitarplaying twin and many friends. Can I make one suggestion. You reconsider the gibson as You will probably get a much better instrument if you get a heritage. The reason is that in the mid-nineties gibson became mechanised and sacked many of its master craftsmen/women. These people set up the heritage range. The designs are very similar to the gibson (where the makers used to work) but the build quality is supposed to be superb. I have been told that a lot of the time with gibson and fender etc you are paying for a brand name rather than a quality instrument - in recent blind tests some players found the squier models to be better than the USA fender ones! I know it is shocking (although i can't imagine an epi ever outclassing a gibson. I am not telling you not to buy the gibson but to shop around a bit. I might also be useful to buy from america with the exchange rate being so much in our favour. You could maybe get the whol lot a couple of hundred quid cheaper.

Sorry for my ramblings on a subject which I know little about,
    Musicboy

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.