Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, i am currently completely undecided between civil engineering at the university of Birmingham and architecture at Birmingham city University and would appreciate some advice as the deadline is fast approaching.

i am currently on a gap year working as a self employed carpenter/plasterer in the domestic/exhibition market so am very able with my hands but have found the lack of learning over the past year to be frustrating at best due to the repetitiveness of the work and the long weeks of 55+ hours

i studied maths,physics,chemistry and art right through to A2 level and have subsequently gained unconditional offers for my choices which has made it even more difficult to pick between courses.

i thoroughly enjoyed studying art, often spending study sessions and frees painting away which resulted in my best result but i also loved physics and maths as a way to define a solution to a problem.

how do i pick between two very different courses in the sector i know i want to work when the wages, experience required and job prospects are so similar and yet so different ? Architectural Technologist is obviously the middle ground between these two professions with a degree of creativity and engineering but i am unable to attend a lecture until after the easter break has finished to see if it is the profession i hope it may be; which unfortunately is after the decision deadline and i would have to transfer from arch to arch-tech which are in different departments so there is no guarantee my offer would stand.

any advice is very much appreciated, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Civil engineering would be a better choice, I've heard from many of my friends that Architects (in terms of employability) don't earn a lot (less than civil engineers) but it depends on what you enjoy. Architecture is not maths intensive and have a limited knowledge within, mostly having to do with vertical construction, and should be able to organise themselves and others, be good with time management. Civil engineers are math intensive (true of any any engineering discipline) geological and geographical problem solvers. They specialize in shaping the earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.