Brunel or sussex Watch

Jeid1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm a first year Brighton aero student and I am really torn between these two universities as my insurance choice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jeid1
Rep:
?
Bump.
Jeid1
Rep:
?
BUMP
kingm
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jeid1)
I'm a first year Brighton aero student and I am really torn between these two universities as my insurance choice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm a little confused....

You're in your first year at Brighton university studying aero engineering, but you have insurance choices. For what?
Jeid1
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingm)
I'm a little confused....

You're in your first year at Brighton university studying aero engineering, but you have insurance choices. For what?
Transfer universities for second year..
Harley SMU
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As good as Sussex is, there isn't enough focus on engineering in my opinion.
However it does have good support for aerospace, with good gas turbine engine facilities
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Harley SMU)
As good as Sussex is, there isn't enough focus on engineering in my opinion.
However it does have good support for aerospace, with good gas turbine engine facilities
would you say Swansea University is more reputable for engineering than Sussex?
Harley SMU
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would definitely choose Swansea University (even better, Cardiff) over Sussex for engineering.
a10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would definitely choose Swansea University (even better, Cardiff) over Sussex for engineering.
hmmm, thanks.
Harley SMU
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In league tables (those dreaded words), Brighton Uni actually fares better than Sussex, despite Sussex being a far better university overall ( I go to both, as I'm doing a joint MSc at both).

The main Swansea University (not the Met - although the Met is exclusively excellent for automotive and motorsport Eng), is very good for engineering. They were the main university working with the Bloodhound SSC project. Cardiff is I believe ranked higher than Swansea, and is of course a Russel group university.
a10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In league tables (those dreaded words), Brighton Uni actually fares better than Sussex, despite Sussex being a far better university overall ( I go to both, as I'm doing a joint MSc at both).

The main Swansea University (not the Met - although the Met is exclusively excellent for automotive and motorsport Eng), is very good for engineering. They were the main university working with the Bloodhound SSC project. Cardiff is I believe ranked higher than Swansea, and is of course a Russel group university.
i felt sussex was good but lacked the pure "engineering" feel to it...i think this is mainly to do with the lack of disciplines they do ie they only have electrical/automotive/mechanical and computer engineering courses whereas swansea had the whole lot and feels more engineering dedicated ie one main school for it one building etc :/

don't know how the facilities are like but i guess i will just have to go on an open day, iv already made my choice and put sussex as firm and swansea as insurance however sussex want me to do a foundation year first and if i achieve better than their offer which currently im well on my way to then i can do 1st year of BEng but their offer was harder to meet ABB and swansea's first year offer is BBB which is even more achievable. Thanks for putting this into perspective i will have to find out.
Harley SMU
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sussex could definitely do with putting more money into engineering, but is a brilliant university overall.

Attending open days is essential.

This may or may not be an issue for you, but living costs in Swansea are significantly less than those in Brighton. My rent in Swansea was £250 / month (4 bed house), whereas Brighton is more like £400 / month
a10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sussex could definitely do with putting more money into engineering, but is a brilliant university overall.

Attending open days is essential.

This may or may not be an issue for you, but living costs in Swansea are significantly less than those in Brighton. My rent in Swansea was £250 / month (4 bed house), whereas Brighton is more like £400 / month
did u pay the rent using part of your maintenance loan money? I went to the open day for Sussex but havent been to Swansea. Would you say you enjoyed the engineering department there? (at Sussex)
Harley SMU
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry for late reply here.

I did indeed pay my rent with the maintenance loan. I found I had much more money spare than people in more expensive Uni cities.

what area of engineering is it that you are going to be studying?
a10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry for late reply here.

I did indeed pay my rent with the maintenance loan. I found I had much more money spare than people in more expensive Uni cities.

what area of engineering is it that you are going to be studying?
Ahh right, no worries and Mechanical.
Jeid1
Rep:
?
So the answer to my question would surely be Brunel?
IKB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jeid1)
So the answer to my question would surely be Brunel?
Brunel have a webinar for prospective engineering students tomorrow -

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/665278954 - it's primarily aimed at PG students but would still be an easy way of finding out more about if it's what you're looking for without needing to travel.
MitchelM
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Whatever you do, do not pick Brunel for engineering. Their senior management is made up of artists and psycho-sociologists who really could not care less for real world problem solving and so all their College of Engineering and Design courses are outdated and taught by people who haven't a clue.
Midigia
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am a level 3 Mechanical Engineer at Brunel and I feel exactly the same way as MitchelM!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (491)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.53%

Watched Threads