Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is diet coke/pepsi addictive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink normal coke because I hate the sugary taste, and I've been drinking diet coke for years. If I go a day without Diet coke I feel like complete crap, I feel all groggy and usually get a headache, and crave it like crazy. I ususally drink four or five cans of it a day, sometimes more. I saw my doctor who basically laughed in my face, but I'm sure I'm genuinely addicted to it. Should I lay off and persevere with the side effects and hope they go away in time? Or see my doctor again and try and get her to take me seriously? Finally, what are the risks with frequently drinking Diet drinks? I always thought it was fairly low risk as there's no sugar or anything.

ReputationRep:
    4 or 5 cans a day? Woah. I think you might be addicted to caffeine rather than the diet coke itself. Try and replace diet coke with coffee and see if you still suffer from those effects. If not, then that just proves you are addicted to caffeine. In this case, you should go to your doctor and tell her that you're addicted to caffeine instead.

try caffeine free ones. They're not that bad. or cut back slowly and have sweetned fizzy flavoured water as an alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    I don't drink normal coke because I hate the sugary taste, and I've been drinking diet coke for years. If I go a day without Diet coke I feel like complete crap, I feel all groggy and usually get a headache, and crave it like crazy. I ususally drink four or five cans of it a day, sometimes more. I saw my doctor who basically laughed in my face, but I'm sure I'm genuinely addicted to it. Should I lay off and persevere with the side effects and hope they go away in time? Or see my doctor again and try and get her to take me seriously? Finally, what are the risks with frequently drinking Diet drinks? I always thought it was fairly low risk as there's no sugar or anything.[I]

What do you want the doctor to do???

ReputationRep:
    Do not worry Kate if you get addicted to coca cola as you'll see that it complies perfectly with your performance in PVP in the new arena season.

ReputationRep:
    I'm addicted to coke too lol, but I'm gradually replacing it with another sugary drink. Since you don't like sugar, I'll suggest you find another drink you like which you can substitute with coke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrcFromOgrimmar)
    Do not worry Kate if you get addicted to coca cola as you'll see that it complies perfectly with your performance in PVP in the new arena season.
    Your WoW posts actually make me laugh. Keep it up. :banana:

ReputationRep:
    It's likely to be the caffeine. Diet coke has slightly more caffeine in than normal coke. You could try cut out coke completely, and replace it with 50mg caffeine tablets which you can find in the supermarkets (not pro plus, buy the cheaper own brand).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moya)
    It's likely to be the caffeine. Diet coke has slightly more caffeine in than normal coke. You could try cut out coke completely, and replace it with 50mg caffeine tablets which you can find in the supermarkets (not pro plus, buy the cheaper own brand).
    :eek: I never knew there were such things. How much do they cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryl)
    :eek: I never knew there were such things. How much do they cost?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/4everfit-Caf...4649126&sr=8-6

But you can buy about 32 50mg tablets in tescos for £1.87. You can actually buy 3 for 2 atm, so 96 for less than £4.

But the ones from amazon are 200mg, which is overkill (that's like a double espresso)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moya)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/4everfit-Caf...4649126&sr=8-6

But you can buy about 32 50mg tablets in tescos for £1.87. You can actually buy 3 for 2 atm, so 96 for less than £4.

But the ones from amazon are 200mg, which is overkill (that's like a double espresso)
    Ah. Cool. Thanks. I'm out of rep

ReputationRep:
    It's the caffeine. I was easily drinking up to 2 litres of Diet Coke a day when I was younger. I decided to stop completely once and I felt like **** for about a week until I gave up and started again lol. I went back to drinking it but not quite as much, then when I moved out I decided I was going to drastically cut down (having to pay bills and rent does make you want to save money, ha) so I limited myself to one can a day with my lunch at work. I've cut down even more and only really drink it when I go out for meals, and sometimes a can on a Saturday night (I know...pretty wild).

It's not great. I'd suggest cutting down if I were you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.