Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering if there is anyone from the UK planning to apply to UBC, Canada. What's the application process and what roughly are the grade requirements, fees

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to Canada! I realize this post is old lol but I understand how confusing the application progress is.

Applying
    If you go on the UBC website they have a step-by-step guide for applying and if you are still confused, send them an email! They are really helpful.
    Applications open in August this year for summer entry 2014 and if you are applying for any scholarships and bursaries, close in December. Don't forget to submit your application for housing at the same time, but remember that campus residence is only guaranteed for first years.
    Credits
    If you are continuing your studies to A2 and you get majority of A's and B's as your final grade, these will act as credits and can move you up a year so you only do three years instead of four.
    Grade Requirements
    These depend on what you want to study but are again on their website. I know that once, for Canadian students, the requirements was as high as 90% which is kinda crazy but its gone down now and is around 70%/75% I think. I know for sure that now they want a minimum C in maths to apply for science but of course it is a very competitive school so A's and B's are preferred. They also need you to stand in a certain number of different subjects from GCSE to A level.
    Fees
    As a canadian citizen, I only have to pay around $5,000 a year. Unfortunately, International students will have to pay a lot more, around $23,000

Hope this has helped!
    Any other questions, feel free to inbox me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leibar)
    I'm thinking of applying to Canada! I realize this post is old lol but I understand how confusing the application progress is.

Applying
    If you go on the UBC website they have a step-by-step guide for applying and if you are still confused, send them an email! They are really helpful.
    Applications open in August this year for summer entry 2014 and if you are applying for any scholarships and bursaries, close in December. Don't forget to submit your application for housing at the same time, but remember that campus residence is only guaranteed for first years.
    Credits
    If you are continuing your studies to A2 and you get majority of A's and B's as your final grade, these will act as credits and can move you up a year so you only do three years instead of four.
    Grade Requirements
    These depend on what you want to study but are again on their website. I know that once, for Canadian students, the requirements was as high as 90% which is kinda crazy but its gone down now and is around 70%/75% I think. I know for sure that now they want a minimum C in maths to apply for science but of course it is a very competitive school so A's and B's are preferred. They also need you to stand in a certain number of different subjects from GCSE to A level.
    Fees
    As a canadian citizen, I only have to pay around $5,000 a year. Unfortunately, International students will have to pay a lot more, around $23,000

Hope this has helped!
    Any other questions, feel free to inbox me
    Thanks a lot do u know the average a2 grades for application for science based subject e.g computer science

ReputationRep:
    Hey buddy you are just in luck..Cause i got admitted to ubc CS.
    My subjects and predicted grades:
    Maths-A(got it)
    F.maths.-B(Will get A hopefully)
    Chemsitry-B
    Physics-A

ReputationRep:
    Cheers man do u think further maths is required and I will only do 3 A2's should I concider 4

ReputationRep:
    No one expects you to do 4 A2's! The usual is 3 with some further maths students taking 4 at A2 simply because they are crazy! universities specify that doing 4 over 3 gives no advantage becaus they rather you do well in 3 at A2 than mediocre/bad in any when you take 4.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok on the ubc website it says 6 AS' are acceptable aswell but that will remove me from all English universities won't it?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much yeah

ReputationRep:
    Hey-I got 8 A*s and 1 A in my O levels, and gave physics, chemistry, biology, c12, s1 and m1 in my AS. I'm waiting for the results, in the meantime will be giving my SAT-1 and am aiming for at least 2300. Now I really need help-according to my scores (achieved and expected)-which units should I apply to in the USA? I am starting my applications now, and would really appreciate some help PLEASE!!!

ReputationRep:
    PS: I'm a Canadian citizen too-will that help in any way?

ReputationRep:
    Hey man
    Any tips and ideas on what to write exactly on the personal statement?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.