Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering the classical TSR question about whether the uni attended by a candidate really mattered in the eyes of a Law firm. I ask this because I am in the process of choosing Universities, and well I am at sea about what to choose. If it does matter, which uni should i go from these:

City University - Unconditional - Law LLB
    SOAS - Unconditioanl - Law LLB
    Kings College - Geography - BSC
    Sheffield - Unconditional - Law - But I have decided that I am going to stay in London as I love it here .

Please help me out, I liked City when I went and i liked that they are pouring millions of pounds in it, SOAS is a bit of a dark horse, i like the international aspect of it and that its a UoL course. I also have KCL as a option but for Geography, obv KCL has that unique brand name.

If you guys were employers which ones would you pick?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    King's or SOAS. Sheffield right after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priyakhan)
    I was wondering the classical TSR question about whether the uni attended by a candidate really mattered in the eyes of a Law firm. I ask this because I am in the process of choosing Universities, and well I am at sea about what to choose. If it does matter, which uni should i go from these:

City University - Unconditional - Law LLB
    SOAS - Unconditioanl - Law LLB
    Kings College - Geography - BSC
    Sheffield - Unconditional - Law - But I have decided that I am going to stay in London as I love it here .

Please help me out, I liked City when I went and i liked that they are pouring millions of pounds in it, SOAS is a bit of a dark horse, i like the international aspect of it and that its a UoL course. I also have KCL as a option but for Geography, obv KCL has that unique brand name.

If you guys were employers which ones would you pick?
    Of those options, I doubt it would matter.

I'm not sure what employers might think of City, but someone else will be better placed to offer their opinion [Nulli].

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys, i appreciate it I have got a month or so to decide so I might research into it more

if anyone could provide more info that would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)

I'm not sure what employers might think of City, but someone else will be better placed to offer their opinion [Nulli].

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you say that as in, all the options i have are not good for a career in law?

and im unsure about City as well, it has millions of pounds being invested in it so it cant be that bad but i am unsure about the reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Do you say that as in, all the options i have are not good for a career in law?

and im unsure about City as well, it has millions of pounds being invested in it so it cant be that bad but i am unsure about the reputation.
    Haha, no, not at all. I meant it as in

"each will likely give you equally as good a chance, but to be honest the real difference is what YOU do at uni".

As I said, I can't offer any kind of informed opinion about City.

Sheffield does tend to perform well in terms of employability, but be aware many of those successful TC hunters from there (like myself) stay in the North of England.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha, no, not at all. I meant it as in

"each will likely give you equally as good a chance, but to be honest the real difference is what YOU do at uni".

As I said, I can't offer any kind of informed opinion about City.

Sheffield does tend to perform well in terms of employability, but be aware many of those successful TC hunters from there (like myself) stay in the North of England.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your input

If I did not have to stay in London i would go to Sheffield for sure It seems like a nice uni in a nice town which is respected by employers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    King's or SOAS. Sheffield right after that.
    thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    Kings 100%. Then Sheffield, SOAS and City.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underd0g)
    Kings 100%. Then Sheffield, SOAS and City.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you notice that the KCl offer is for Geography not Law? if not then would that change your mind?

ReputationRep:
    Did you notice that the KCl offer is for Geography not Law? if not then would that change your mind?
    I'd say Kings (Geography) or Sheffield (Law), then SOAS then City...

ReputationRep:
    No, it wouldn't.

The top law firms categorise King's as being a target university, so the brand name (permitting you have a high 2.1/1st) will place you in good stead for interviews. With the others, I would consider them as being semi-target universities; you'll have a chance of obtaining interview though it's an uphill battle.

King's lawsoc is one of the most notorious around, and even if you decide not to go in to law during your degree, you'll be in even better stead for other careers given its name.

ReputationRep:
    higher education is a scam

ReputationRep:
    In addition to what the others said re. KCL, I'd say that doing Geography will give you more flexibility in the future.

I'd only suggest studying law for love of the academic subject regardless of where your career ambitions lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I would offer more insight if I had ever met a City law grad!

My feeling is that they are people who wanted to study in London at all costs.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think it makes a huge difference with employment prospects. They are all great universities. I would choose based on the uni you like most. Personally I would choose Sheffield but it is a personal choice so you might want something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underd0g)
    No, it wouldn't.

The top law firms categorise King's as being a target university, so the brand name (permitting you have a high 2.1/1st) will place you in good stead for interviews. With the others, I would consider them as being semi-target universities; you'll have a chance of obtaining interview though it's an uphill battle.

King's lawsoc is one of the most notorious around, and even if you decide not to go in to law during your degree, you'll be in even better stead for other careers given its name.
    From experience, I know that my firm equally targets KCL and Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    The terminology of there being "target" universities for law worries me. It isn't an expression I have heard used by partners at City firms. I think this is something VIth formers have imported from banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The terminology of there being "target" universities for law worries me. It isn't an expression I have heard used by partners at City firms. I think this is something VIth formers have imported from banking.
    I thought this as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Go on the website of some of the major law firms and have a look at which careers fairs they attend. This should give you a good indication as to which universities they "favour".

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.