Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Does University Really Matter THAT Much? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mclawyer)
    From experience, I know that my firm equally targets KCL and Sheffield.
    May i ask what your firms opinion is on Bristol vs Kings vs UCL? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underd0g)
    http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/Law/WebExtras/16

Scroll down to the bit where it says:

"The firm actively targets the following universities: Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Exeter, Kings, Leicester, LSE, Manchester, Nottingham, Oxford, Southampton, Queens University Belfast, UCL, Warwick and York."

While I am not in any way suggesting that firms stringently recruit from a specific group of universities each and every academic year, I am alluding to the fact that going to a specific university - as per the OP's question - can significantly increase your chance of obtaining a TC at a law firm.

One very well may obtain a TC having gone to a 'lesser' university as it were, though statistically speaking, this tends to be the very rare exception rather than the rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for posting that because it is the only I have ever seen anyone in law firm recruitment refer to target universities. Obviously Baker & McKenzie ar an atypical firm. I don't think anyone compiling a list of top universities or a list of top law schools would come up with precisely that list, however "top" was defined. I would be interested to know whether York was on that list before it acquired a law school and if not what got them on to the list. I would also be interested in what they had against Cardiff, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow and Queen Mary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoGoodOnesLeft)
    May i ask what your firms opinion is on Bristol vs Kings vs UCL? Thanks
    All are good universities. In our trainee intakes you will always find a good number of trainees who have attended those universities.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.