Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
     \mathrm{Let\ \xi_n \ , for\ n \in \ \mathbb{N}_0 \, be\ a\ collection\ of\ random\ variables\ such\ that\ each\ \xi_n\ takes\ values\ in\ the\ set\ \{3,8,11\}}  \mathrm{with\ the\ distribution\ given\ by}:

P_\xi_n (3) = 1 - \dfrac{3}{n} - \dfrac{5}{n^2} , P_\xi_n (8) = \dfrac{3}{n} , P_\xi_n (11) = \dfrac{5}{n^2}

\mathrm{Prove\ that\ \xi_n \rightarrow\ 3\ as\ n\ \rightarrow\ \infty}

I realise it's 2:40 am, and I've been working since midday, so a lack of sleep is probably hindering my ability to tackle this question.
    But even since this evening, I haven't had a clue.

I have my notes in front of me, I have tried every avenue, from the Law of Large Numbers, to Chebyshev's Inequality, and I just cannot seem to find a starting point.

I would post workings, but I haven't found a way to start this.
    I'm not looking for an answer, merely a push in the right direction, so if anyone could help, I would really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Starting point is to note that the statement is obvious. Let n tend to infinity for each expression you have there, clearly P(8) and P(11) are tending to 0 and P(3) tending to 1 just taking normal limits.

You can now use that information to come up with a more formal epsilon proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Starting point is to note that the statement is obvious. Let n tend to infinity for each expression you have there, clearly P(8) and P(11) are tending to 0 and P(3) tending to 1 just taking normal limits.

You can now use that information to come up with a more formal epsilon proof.

Okay, I have spent this week really trying to do it, but have got nowhere.

There was a part i) to this question:

\mathrm{ Let\ \xi\ be\ a\ random\ variable\ on\ a\ discrete\ probability\ space\ (\Omega, \mathcal{A}, P)\ and\ let\ \epsilon\ >\ \epsilon_0}

\mathrm{ Show\ that\ P(| \xi - a| \geq \epsilon) \leq P(|\xi - a| \geq \epsilon_0)\ for\ real\ and\ positive\ a.}

\mathrm{ Why\ is\ this\ useful\ when\ checking\ stochastic\ convergence?}

Now, this is how I answered it:

P(| \xi - a| \geq \epsilon) \leq \dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{ \epsilon^2}

\dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{ \epsilon^2} < \dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{ \epsilon_0^2}

P(| \xi - a| \geq \epsilon) \leq \dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{ \epsilon^2} < \dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{ \epsilon_0^2} \geq P(| \xi - a| \geq \epsilon_0)

\dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{ \epsilon_0^2} \geq P(| \xi - a| \geq \epsilon_0)

\dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{ \epsilon_0^2} > \dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{ \epsilon}

\Rightarrow \dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{ \epsilon^2} \leq  P(| \xi - a| \geq \epsilon_0)

\Rightarrow P(| \xi - a| \geq \epsilon) \leq P(| \xi - a| \geq \epsilon_0)

\mathrm{ By\ definition\ (given\ by\ lecturer):}

\mathrm{ Let\ \xi_n\ be\ a\ collection\ of\ random\ variables\ we\ say\ that\ \xi_n\ converges\ stochastically\ to\ a\ real\ number\ as\ n \rightarrow\ \infty\ if}  \mathrm{ \forall\ \epsilon\ >\ 0}

\displaystyle\lim_{n\to \infty}  P(| \xi_n - a| \geq \epsilon)

\mathrm{ As\ n \rightarrow \infty\ then\ \dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{n \epsilon_0^2}} \rightarrow 0

\mathrm{ But\ \dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{n \epsilon_0^2} \geq\ \dfrac{\mathrm{Var(\xi)}}{n \epsilon^2} \geq P(| \xi_n - a| \geq \epsilon) > 0}

\mathrm{ So\ by\ the\ squeezing\ principle\, we\ see\ that\ as\ n \rightarrow \infty\ the\ conditions\ hold\ so\ P(| \xi_n - a| \geq \epsilon) \rightarrow\ 0\ as\ n \rightarrow \infty}

I emailed my lecturer about part ii), and got this as a response:

\mathrm{ Use\ part\ (i)\ to\ ensure\ that\ you\ need\ only\ check\ things\ for\ epsilon\ smaller\ than\ some\ particular\ value}
     \mathrm{ Choose\ this\ value\ so\ that\ all\ the\ attention\ is\ on\ \xi_n\ being\ 8\ or\ 11.}

I am really sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to show exactly what I've done, and what it is I'm not understanding.
    If I calculated  \mathbb{E}(\xi_n) then I can get it so that:

3 \times (1 - \dfrac{3}{n} - \dfrac{5}{n^2}) + 8 \times (\dfrac{3}{n}) + 11 \times (\dfrac{5}{n^2}) = 3\ as\ n \rightarrow \infty}

However, that is not going the way that is suggested, and even then, I don't know what to do with that

I really am stuck on this

ReputationRep:
     \mathrm{ A\ sequence\ \xi_n\ converges\ in\ probability\ to\ \xi\ if\ for\ every\ \epsilon\ > 0}

P (|\xi_n - \xi| < \epsilon) \rightarrow 1\ as\ n\ \rightarrow \infty}

\mathrm{ As\ n \rightarrow \infty;}

P_\xi_n (3) \rightarrow 1

P_\xi_n (8) \rightarrow 0  

P_\xi_n (11) \rightarrow 0

Am I even close?

I'm planning on going in to uni tomorrow. I went in today to see him, but he'd gone home, and if he isn't in tomorrow, as it is due in monday, I don't know how I'll do it

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm not very good at this stuff, hopefully someone else can help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.