The Student Room Group

Oxford MSc in MCF vs NYU MS in MF

Hi all, I've had a pleasure to be offered a place from these two great programs, Oxford MSc in MCF and NYU MS in MF. :smile: I want to advance my career as a quant and I am also interested in pursuing a PhD after master's course if I feel my education is insufficient. I know it's hard to properly compare programs offered by universities in different countries, but here are factors that I take into accounts.

NYU
eligibility to do an internship
better placement record(probably)
better renowned program-wise, especially in the US

Oxford
better brand name on the whole
more theoretical, hence better as a bridge to a PhD?

I would like to get you folks' opinions regarding what to choose. I would be really grateful for any piece of advice!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by fallenagnels
Hi all, I've had a pleasure to be offered a place from these two great programs, Oxford MSc in MCF and NYU MS in MF. :smile: I want to advance my career as a quant and I am also interested in pursuing a PhD after master's course if I feel my education is insufficient. I know it's hard to properly compare programs offered by universities in different countries, but here are factors that I take into accounts.

NYU
eligibility to do an internship
better placement record(probably)
better renowned program-wise, especially in the US

Oxford
better brand name on the whole
more theoretical, hence better as a bridge to a PhD?

I would like to get you folks' opinions regarding what to choose. I would be really grateful for any piece of advice!

As far as I know working as a quant required a phd in mathemathics, physics and the like so a MF seems a little light to get into a good phd (bar the princeton one which is highly quantitative).

You should try to find phd placements on websites and linkedin.
Reply 2
Hello! I've got an interview invitation from Oxford. May I ask what kind of questions do they ask in the MCF interview ?
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending