Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Free speech under threat as advertising company "agrees" to remove UKIP poster watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thecommentator.com/articl...ve_ukip_poster

Stop shooting the messenger, lefties. You are only deluding yourselves in a desperate attempt to maintain that cosy cognitive dissonance between liberal utopia and hard reality.
    I appreciate that facts are threatening in this environment, but you do not have a monopoly on the truth. Despite behaving as if your opinions and only your opinions are valid.

Engage in the national conversation. Learn how to present your case. This vicious carping against all heretics of your reactionary groupthink pontifications resolves nothing.
    Your very trivialization of once-powerful accusations to silence debate has rendered them increasingly meaningless.
    The "vile" "bigoted" "racist" "sexist" "homophobic" "disgusting" "Nazi" masses [the vast majority of whom are, of course, none of these things] are there to be convinced.
    But after all this time, you're going to need some very compelling arguments as to why their concerns are invalid.

ReputationRep:
    Typical left wing extremists. They are the biggest danger to this country.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    The "vile" "bigoted" "racist" "sexist" "homophobic" "disgusting" "Nazi" masses
    I call Godwin's law!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    I call Godwin's law!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call it what you want. But stifling free speech is never a good thing.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Oh, I never said it was.

ReputationRep:
    Updated - 21:58 29/03/13: Clear Channel has been in touch with The Commentator to state that no decision has yet been taken on the billboards, despite local campaigners stating the contrary. A Clear Channel spokesperson told The Commentator that the company will be reviewing complaints from both sides and taking a decision after the Bank Holiday weekend.

Clear Channel's Twitter account updated at 22 :06: "We have received complaints regarding a UKIP poster in Levenshulme, Manchester. We are currently reviewing these complaints we will provide an update once the review has been completed."
    Did you miss this bit?

Edit: Oh, and now the bank holiday is over, what was the result?

ReputationRep:
    Disgraceful. Traitorous left wing fascists behave in their typical way and want to ban and censor rather than discuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeman560)
    Typical left wing extremists. They are the biggest danger to this country.
    The same could be said for modern day ' liberals '!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    http://www.thecommentator.com/articl...ve_ukip_poster

Stop shooting the messenger, lefties. You are only deluding yourselves in a desperate attempt to maintain that cosy cognitive dissonance between liberal utopia and hard reality.
    I appreciate that facts are threatening in this environment, but you do not have a monopoly on the truth. Despite behaving as if your opinions and only your opinions are valid.

Engage in the national conversation. Learn how to present your case. This vicious carping against all heretics of your reactionary groupthink pontifications resolves nothing.
    Your very trivialization of once-powerful accusations to silence debate has rendered them increasingly meaningless.
    The "vile" "bigoted" "racist" "sexist" "homophobic" "disgusting" "Nazi" masses [the vast majority of whom are, of course, none of these things] are there to be convinced.
    But after all this time, you're going to need some very compelling arguments as to why their concerns are invalid.
    Did you even bother to read the article?

Clear Channel has been in touch with The Commentator to state that no decision has yet been taken on the billboards, despite local campaigners stating the contrary.

ReputationRep:
    Left wingers have already destroyed most of what has made Western civilisation a place of prosperity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Left wingers have already destroyed most of what has made Western civilisation a place of prosperity.
    ? How do you make that out exactly? And what makes you think the West isn't still prosperous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    ? How do you make that out exactly? And what makes you think the West isn't still prosperous?
    I think he means relatively as the West has been overtaken in terms if average economic growth

Think what was happening in the UK up to the late 1970s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    The poster is actually quite racist. I think it's reasonable to request the company posting it to take it down and I hope they decide to. Ukip are a xenophobic party who play on racism and fears of immigrants, as this poster does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I think he means relatively as the West has been overtaken in terms if average economic growth

Think what was happening in the UK up to the late 1970s
    You are just rambling. The UK has experienced fairly steady economic growth since the war with the exception of recessionary periods, all of which were global. The left/right issue has had little if any effect.

ReputationRep:
    The poster is actually quite racist. I think it's reasonable to request the company posting it to take it down and I hope they decide to. Ukip are a xenophobic party who play on racism and fears of immigrants, as this poster does.
    In what way is that poster racist? Where does it state that a certain race is worse than another? Where does it say that we shouldn't let anyone of a certain race in? Jeez, I swear the biggest motivator for me not being a lefty is other lefties.

ReputationRep:
    You are just rambling. The UK has experienced fairly steady economic growth since the war with the exception of recessionary periods, all of which were global. The left/right issue has had little if any effect.
    Not necessarily- the UK was forced to take a IMF loan in 1976!

The UK was in relative decline up onto Thatcher. There was a consensus up onto then which was relatively left-wing. Where the state did almost everything from running trains to running planes!

I'm not rambling at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Not necessarily- the UK was forced to take a IMF loan in 1976!

The UK was in relative decline up onto Thatcher. There was a consensus up onto then which was relatively left-wing. Where the state did almost everything from running trains to running planes!

I'm not rambling at all
    The IMF crisis is a complex subject, but the roots of it lie in the oil crisis of 73, the desire of the US to manipulate the UK economy and make it more to their liking and the bubble boom created by Tory Chancellor Anthony Barber during the Heath govt, which had strong similarities to the disastrous Lawson boom under Thatcher and the recent financial bubble. A number of leading participants in the IMF crisis have subsequently stated that the UK did not need to take the IMF loan and much of the lending right was never used.

There has long been a productivity problem in the UK that probably started to develop as far back as the 30s and became sharply noticeable in the 70s - to some extent, we still have it now. It appears to be related primarily to the decline in imperial markets, the orientation of the economy towards weapons production during the Cold War, a lack of union flexibility and management willingness to engage properly with unions (as in Germany) and a fundamental lack of capital for industry, as the UK has for decades (including in the recent crisis) placed too much capital into the international financial sector and not enough into manufacturing, science and technology.

ReputationRep:
    Racist? The hell? Why do you people do this? Why do you constantly play the race card and start making disgusting accusations whenever anyone expresses concerns about immigration.

ReputationRep:
    This is actually a pretty smart move, no one in Levenshulme is ever going to vote for UKIP and they know it however by putting up the poster they get all the Labour supporters whipped up into a frenzy, Levenshulme is pretty much a completely Asian area and when news papers start reporting on the threats of vandalism and disregard for freedom of speech with photos of the campaigners UKIP will drum up a ton of support.

Then again this might just be a happy accident rather than a feet of cunning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    This is actually a pretty smart move, no one in Levenshulme is ever going to vote for UKIP and they know it however by putting up the poster they get all the Labour supporters whipped up into a frenzy, Levenshulme is pretty much a completely Asian area and when news papers start reporting on the threats of vandalism and disregard for freedom of speech with photos of the campaigners UKIP will drum up a ton of support.

Then again this might just be a happy accident rather than a feet of cunning.
    You mean, it's quite similar to the sort of deliberate provocations the BNP and EDL stage, doing marches into Asian areas? Perish the thought! How unpleasant of you to suggest that Ukip might be engaging in deliberate racial stirring of that type. I'm sure the white male over-50s (many of them with past affiliations on the far right) who run Ukip would never stoop so low.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.