The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Desmond Tutu Scholarship applicants 2013

Hi! Just thought I would create a thread for applicants of the scholarship here to make the wait more bearable. Anyone applied or got a reply or am waiting like me? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied for the Dickson Poon scholarship, can I wait here too? :biggrin:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Sure hang around my friend! Good luck to you as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm applying for the Desmond Tutu scholarship! I'm finding it quite difficult though :frown: the deadline's tomorrow right? Good luck to everyone applying for scholarships! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Yup deadlines tomorrow! Good luck to you too! Lol it certainly is a challenging essay, hope our hardwork bears fruit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Applications just closed :O now the wait :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
How long was your essays? I only discovered the scholarship a couple of days ago so I'm not super happy about my entry but I'm keeping my hopes up! Good luck everyone!:smile:
Reply 7
I found out about it at 11:05 this morning! Woops :P Got my application off by 4:30 though. :3
What subjects are you holding offers for?
Reply 8
Original post by Mackworth
I found out about it at 11:05 this morning! Woops :P Got my application off by 4:30 though. :3

Wow, that must have been stressful! I have an offer for liberal arts. What about you?:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Flax
Wow, that must have been stressful! I have an offer for liberal arts. What about you?:smile:

HEY!

Just noticed this thread. I applied for the Desmond Tutu Scholarship but I feel as though my application was a little too pretentious :frown: Not intentionally, it's just a really difficult essay to write, I thought. Good luck to you guys though!

I hold an offer for English Language and Literature :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by JoeWill
HEY!

Just noticed this thread. I applied for the Desmond Tutu Scholarship but I feel as though my application was a little too pretentious :frown: Not intentionally, it's just a really difficult essay to write, I thought. Good luck to you guys though!

I guess it mostly sounds pretentious cos its talking about altruism, but it should be fine as long as you clearly expressed what you sincerly thought, and anchored the 2 criterias? :smile:

Firmed for medicine here btw :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Mackworth

Woah what a rush! Cant imagine being able to do that :P hope it turns out well for you though! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I'm going to firm Kings but I havent yet (because I'm still waiting for a possible insurance to reply)
Will they still consider my scholarship app?
Reply 13
Original post by laraali1
I'm going to firm Kings but I havent yet (because I'm still waiting for a possible insurance to reply)
Will they still consider my scholarship app?

I believe they consider it as long as u have an offer by 31 mar (according to the website)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by JoeWill
HEY!

I also thought it was a difficult essay to write, especially since I'm not sure what I'm going to do after I graduate! Good luck!:smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Flax
I also thought it was a difficult essay to write, especially since I'm not sure what I'm going to do after I graduate! Good luck!:smile:

I also found it really hard from that point of view, as if I was simply listing a number of altruistic virtues, with no real ability to directly project a specific environment in which I would utilise them.
Reply 16
Original post by Alex Reid
I also found it really hard from that point of view, as if I was simply listing a number of altruistic virtues, with no real ability to directly project a specific environment in which I would utilise them.

I wrote from a more general perspective rather than focusing on a specific project. I also didn't feel like bragging, but it's difficult not to brag when you're writing an essay about your own capabilities.
Reply 17
When does the STEM scholarship open. The links are all dead.
Reply 18
I also found the essay really difficult, some how managed to finish on 1000 words (ironic considering my personal statement finished on 4000 characters haha trust me!) but yeah I found it tough.
I hold an offer for maths, hoping to go on to doing something in banking, but who likes bankers?! Aghhh. Anyways I ended up going right into feminism within the workplace etc, and talked about how Tutu had done a lot of work in this area, so I was confident their would be a fluent and recurring emphasis on equality during my time at King's... blahblah.
I definitely went off on several different tangents, so I have no idea how it'll be received, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by mmm-pi
I also found the essay really difficult, some how managed to finish on 1000 words (ironic considering my personal statement finished on 4000 characters haha trust me!) but yeah I found it tough.
I hold an offer for maths, hoping to go on to doing something in banking, but who likes bankers?! Aghhh. Anyways I ended up going right into feminism within the workplace etc, and talked about how Tutu had done a lot of work in this area, so I was confident their would be a fluent and recurring emphasis on equality during my time at King's... blahblah.
I definitely went off on several different tangents, so I have no idea how it'll be received, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thats an interesting take! Mine was marginally more obvious to me as theres many ways for healthcare to benefit society. Nearly 1000 words as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest