Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Name Change After Marriage, Will You Change It? Watch

Hey Guys;

Well, was just thinking but, you know when you guys get married, do you intend on taking your partner's name, stick with your own or both of you make an entire new one (later is somewhat unique, lol).

Just wondered. =P

Well, I personally HATE my surname and intend on changing it in the future.
    While I am not legally allowed to get married until the same sex marriage law is passed (even then, I will settle with a civil partnership), I wouldn't mind taking my partner's name (am male).
    Although, I intend on changing my surname legally anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I can see why people change theirs but can also see why they don't so... I'm not sure yet and won't know until I'm engaged (if that ever happens) and I starting thinking about it properly.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what my partner's actually is.

ReputationRep:
    I won't and my wife won't either. Its impermissible according to my religion for my wife to change her surname.

ReputationRep:
    My partners name is much more interesting than mine so if he's the one i marry, yes!

I dont feel obliged to take my husbands name though and if i didnt like his surname i wouldnt take it, if he didnt like it, tough. We're in 2013 - he's always welcome to take mine.

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on their surname, if it sounded right next to my first name

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I want the unity of a family by name as well as legal status. And assuming I marry my boyfriend, his surname works better with my first name, and is easier to spell and pronounce.

ReputationRep:
    Yes It makes me sad that my family name would kinda die out as far as my branch goes, as my dad was the only male in his family (therefore the only one to keep his name after marriage) and there are 3 girls in my family.. but I'll definitely be changing my name

ReputationRep:
    I really don't want to change my name, and I don't plan to, but if it meant a lot to my partner then I probably would because I love him, and that's what happens when you get married (usually). I don't know what we'd do when we had children.. I suppose whatever people do when they're not married!

ReputationRep:
    No. I've already changed mine from my original surname, I'm not going to do it again when I get married!

When I get married my OH is hyphenating... that is going to be a walk in the park, Hers-Mine-Mine and her last name is bloody long enough as it is without hyphenation :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yes unless it's a weird name like 'Mrs Titcum' That's a real persons name btw...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not changing mine. I like my surname; it's part of my identity, and I don't want to give it up. It's a personal decision, though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't particularly like my surname, people always get it wrong and it annoys me so I would be happy to change it if the person I marry has a better surname. My boyfriend has a nice one, so if he is the person I marry, I'd happily take his.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind whether she does or not. Also don't mind kids having double barrelled surnames.

ReputationRep:
    My surname's far too quirky to leave behind. So no

Or on second thoughts, I could double barrel...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    I won't and my wife won't either. Its impermissible according to my religion for my wife to change her surname.
    what religion is this?

ReputationRep:
    Defiantly keeping mine.

I would prefer it if my partner took my last name but if they're against it then I would happily hyphen our names
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Depends whether his surname is easier to say and spell than mine.

Seriously, it depends on what it is and whether it goes with my first name.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.