Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm quite a weak swimmer and have always had an irrational fear of water. For many reasons I need to kick this fear and become a strong swimmer. I want to be able to swim in ocean and I want to learn to dive too.

Does anybody know how I can or should do this?

Thanks

Ryan

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine surfing is a pretty good way to learn since you are floating on the sea and mimicking swimming actions with the upper body, the transition afterwards may not be so hard. Though for a non-swim to try surfing may be too much to ask, depends on the person.

Leisure centre and lessons I guess. One you have the technique you'll want to just practice all the time.

ReputationRep:
    If you say you're a weak swimmer, that means you CAN swim, just not well, right? If that's the case, then practice in a pool is honestly the best way to go about it. It might help to mention to the lifeguard that you're a nervous swimmer and not all that good at it before you get in the pool, as this means they can keep an eye on you incase anything happens.

Just try your best to get into a routine of swimming a couple of times each week, and doing as much as you can before you get tired. It's okay to rest between lengths, and if you go at a quiet time when the pool isn't busy this means you can take your time without feeling pressured from anyone behind you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.