Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking at league tables and am so confused and tired. I can't seem to decide on which uni to choose. My choices are:

University of Bath - Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (MEng)
    University of Strathclyde - Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (MEng)
    University of Edinburgh - Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (MEng)
    University of Surrey - Mechanical Engineering (MEng)
    University of Sheffield - Mechanical Engineering (MEng)

I've narrowed down to Bath and Strathclyde. And I really can't decide here.
    Any suggestion will be much appreciated. Which is the best uni from my choice? Some supporting reasons will help a lot. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    hello there, well i am not familiar with any of these unis for engineering courses. What I think you should do is have a pro and con list for each uni and try to find out as much about the course as possible as well as the city.

I understand that this is an important decision for you as you will spend 9 grand on this and your next 3 years so this is by no means a light decision. Having set that.

1 Take a look at the website and look at the teaching methods to see if you like them. Do you fancy tutorials? lots of group projects ? Is there a certain style your after?
    2 How many people are on the course? would you like to be 1 amongts three hundred or would you rather get to know your course mates better?
    3.What time of environment are you looking for city wise?
    4. Maybe look at leaugue tables for engineering and see what people have been saying for that
    5 what makes the course stand out at each uni ? Is there opportunity to do placements etc?

In the end its all subjective really for university. The place where Joe down the street might think is good uni might not suit you. Talk to admission officers, go on open days/applicant days and get some people who have done these courses to give you advice. You might find some threads on TSR on engineering for these unis . talk to peopel you trust etc...

Anyways best of luck with your choices !

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im actually in a similar kind of situation. However im choosing between Strathclyde and Newcastle. And i have came across an awful lot of good reports about Strathclyde. It seems to be reputable, well linked with industry, in a good location and students enjoy it. So im swaying towards it, and i know exactly how you feel. haha. But i enjoy this a lot more than studying so..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissA)
    hello there, well i am not familiar with any of these unis for engineering courses. What I think you should do is have a pro and con list for each uni and try to find out as much about the course as possible as well as the city.

I understand that this is an important decision for you as you will spend 9 grand on this and your next 3 years so this is by no means a light decision. Having set that.

1 Take a look at the website and look at the teaching methods to see if you like them. Do you fancy tutorials? lots of group projects ? Is there a certain style your after?
    2 How many people are on the course? would you like to be 1 amongts three hundred or would you rather get to know your course mates better?
    3.What time of environment are you looking for city wise?
    4. Maybe look at leaugue tables for engineering and see what people have been saying for that
    5 what makes the course stand out at each uni ? Is there opportunity to do placements etc?

In the end its all subjective really for university. The place where Joe down the street might think is good uni might not suit you. Talk to admission officers, go on open days/applicant days and get some people who have done these courses to give you advice. You might find some threads on TSR on engineering for these unis . talk to peopel you trust etc...

Anyways best of luck with your choices !
    Thanks! I have looked into some of those and has helped me decide better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klask)
    Thanks! I have looked into some of those and has helped me decide better.
    Alright man , thats wicked ! Do let me know how it goes

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.