Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

boyfriend had laptop and stuff stolen, need suggestions Watch

ReputationRep:
    hehadhis bag taken from his brothers boot last night. hes really upset about it all as it was a great laptop. he was upset about losing his keys which had a mini me on (we drew on these blank wooden doll keyrings mini versions of each other) i cant replace the laptop but im keeping an eye on ebay and pawn shops but i want to try and replace the other things like his wash bag, pants etc to try and make him feel a little better. does anyone have any sugfestions on supporting him throgh this? sorry for all the typos this stupid tablet is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eshwe)
    hehadhis bag taken from his brothers boot last night. hes really upset about it all as it was a great laptop. he was upset about losing his keys which had a mini me on (we drew on these blank wooden doll keyrings mini versions of each other) i cant replace the laptop but im keeping an eye on ebay and pawn shops but i want to try and replace the other things like his wash bag, pants etc to try and make him feel a little better. does anyone have any sugfestions on supporting him throgh this? sorry for all the typos this stupid tablet is rubbish.
    Does his laptop have tracking software on it? Usually you can trace it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did he have any insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZRO)
    Does his laptop have tracking software on it? Usually you can trace it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Chances are it doesn't, the vast, vast majority of people don't ever use anything like that.

Also, if the thief is clever then it's no use at all. A clever thief would remove the hard drive, connect it up to another PC and format it, before reinstalling a new OS onto it. So the drive is never booted into until it's been formatted and as such any tracking software is useless. It also makes it much, much harder to prove that the laptop is the same one that was stolen as there are no files on it to match it to the original owner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eshwe)
    I'm sorry to hear this OP :console:

But you're a great partner to do all of these :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    D'awww...

You're lovely OP.

Not much else you can do though, I'd die if my laptop was stolen (goodbye final year dissertation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    D'awww...

You're lovely OP.

Not much else you can do though, I'd die if my laptop was stolen (goodbye final year dissertation).
    Thanks, Im so angry as it affected alot of people I cared about last night. I'm going to try and get the cctv looked at and keep an eye on ebay to see if it appears or even if the police manage anything. There was no tracking sofrware on the laptop, only pc monitor to shut down the laptop remotely. But I've looked on it since and it hasn't been booted up yet or they've just cleared it already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officelinebacker)
    Chances are it doesn't, the vast, vast majority of people don't ever use anything like that.

Also, if the thief is clever then it's no use at all. A clever thief would remove the hard drive, connect it up to another PC and format it, before reinstalling a new OS onto it. So the drive is never booted into until it's been formatted and as such any tracking software is useless. It also makes it much, much harder to prove that the laptop is the same one that was stolen as there are no files on it to match it to the original owner.
    Yeah that's true, if i stole one (hypothetically) I'd do exactly that, but then I am familiar with software and hardware aspects. Also reflash the bios make it seem like it's just come out of the factory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.