Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I posted this in law too but no responses so I hope someone here can help...

I've been planning ahead (way ahead!*) and I saw a few distance learning courses for Law; however the universities offering it in 2013 don't seem to have details for 2014. Does this mean it won't be running at all or it just hasn't been added to the prospectus yet? I know The OU will be there but I'm concerned about the lack of interaction with other students. NTU offered a distance learning course with 4 weekend classes and this seemed like the perfect balance for me!

*I will be applying to uni in 2015 but as I will be fitting it around work I want to get an idea of what's on offer and how it will fit around work.

ReputationRep:
    You could always ask the institutions you're interested in directly and ask them, but I wouldn't really expect them to 100% confirm this far in advance what they'll be doing then, tbh.

One note of caution I'd sound is this: years ago I started doing some distance learning with a brick uni, who then pretty much decided to stop offering my subject just after I'd started. I'd intended to work towards a qualification, but because they did things in such a way that you signed up for one module at a time they were able to basically just stop running them - we got to finish the modules we were doing, but not to do any more. (I've subsequently transferred that credit to the OU). So, my advice would be to look into what basis you'd be signing up on (for a module, or a whole qualification), and find out as much as you can about how the institution stands generally and where it's heading. This is what might be described as an interesting time in Higher Education - on the one hand, new technologies and ways of studying are making distance learning more prevalent; but on the other hand, changes to student funding are putting some universities in very difficult financial positions which may impact on what they provide in future. I'd sound out anywhere you're looking into to get a sense of how committed they are to distance learning before signing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    You could always ask the institutions you're interested in directly and ask them, but I wouldn't really expect them to 100% confirm this far in advance what they'll be doing then, tbh.

One note of caution I'd sound is this: years ago I started doing some distance learning with a brick uni, who then pretty much decided to stop offering my subject just after I'd started. I'd intended to work towards a qualification, but because they did things in such a way that you signed up for one module at a time they were able to basically just stop running them - we got to finish the modules we were doing, but not to do any more. (I've subsequently transferred that credit to the OU). So, my advice would be to look into what basis you'd be signing up on (for a module, or a whole qualification), and find out as much as you can about how the institution stands generally and where it's heading. This is what might be described as an interesting time in Higher Education - on the one hand, new technologies and ways of studying are making distance learning more prevalent; but on the other hand, changes to student funding are putting some universities in very difficult financial positions which may impact on what they provide in future. I'd sound out anywhere you're looking into to get a sense of how committed they are to distance learning before signing up.
    Thanks, I signed up to a college that cancelled a course but the decision was made before we actually started! Was it easy to switch to the OU? Do you feel you get all the support you need from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelBee)
    Was it easy to switch to the OU? Do you feel you get all the support you need from them?
    It was pretty straightforward because I transferred the credits to an OU Open degree. If I'd wanted to put them towards a named degree, it might have been more complicated/I might not have been able to transfer all of it. And I don't particularly feel in need of support as such, but I've always found the OU to be clear about what I'm supposed to be doing, and my tutors helpful when I've had any questions.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.