Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do you think marriage makes a difference? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Noone ever look at the bit of paper gain. It is the commitment which counts.
    I guess, but the idea of having to declare to the Government that you are a couple. It's none of their business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cartman)
    42% of all marriages in the UK ended in divorce in 2012. Enough said. Life isn't perfect. **** happens. So forgive me for keeping my best interests in mind. You can't predict if your marriage is going to fail, so in my opinion, it isn't a chance worth taking. If you do get divorced, the man loses everything. I'm one step ahead of women and always will be.
    He does does he? Again, why? Care to address anything I said?

Never did I dispute that marriages end. Only your suggestion that they're some kind of get-rich scheme for women(!)

My neighbours recently divorced, the husband stayed in the house (bought out the wife) and she had to relocate (just the way the cookie crumbled). They were similar earners and they're assets were divided fairly, with equal custody of their child. There wasn't a winner. You may have to re-write your universe on that one.
    Bull**** "the man loses everything", it can happen maybe, I think that's a pretty rare scenario. The vast majority of divorces are settled (reasonable amicably) out of court.

Congratulations for being "one step ahead" of evil, scheming women. You're obviously never going to have a problem with true romantic intimacy and happiness, you're an idol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is kinda pointless in today's society. I think the only part of marriage that is still worth while would be the ceremony and that would be only for the experience/memories.

ReputationRep:
    50 years it was seen to be wrong to have a ******* child. Now being a ******* is irrelevant in the eyes of the law and society thankfully. British society used to be backwards, but now it is not as backward. I grew up in Ireland, and back in those days, contraception, sodomy and divorce was illegal. Once you got married, that was it, you were stuffed, and if you had a ******* child, the child was put up for adoption, and the Mother was sent to a Magdalene Foundry to get prayed on by randy Priests and psychotic Nuns. Thank goodness times have changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    It makes a huge difference legally and emotionally as it forces couples to sort out problems they have or face consequences. Also as I said, legally it makes a huge difference eg. any child would have no legal ties to the father and would be a *******. That's pretty bad
    Not always true Jimbo. If the mother and father are not married, but the father was present and on the birth certificate when registered, the father has full parental responsibility. The child would still be *******ised though.

ReputationRep:
    It's high risk gambling. Betting someone half your stuff you'll love them forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigling)

Never did I dispute that marriages end. Only your suggestion that they're some kind of get-rich scheme for women(!)

My neighbours recently divorced, the husband stayed in the house (bought out the wife) and she had to relocate (just the way the cookie crumbled). They were similar earners and they're assets were divided fairly, with equal custody of their child. There wasn't a winner. You may have to re-write your universe on that one.
    Bull**** "the man loses everything", it can happen maybe, I think that's a pretty rare scenario. The vast majority of divorces are settled (reasonable amicably) out of court.

Congratulations for being "one step ahead" of evil, scheming women. You're obviously never going to have a problem with true romantic intimacy and happiness, you're an idol :rolleyes:
    You've been watching too many romantic films. Get back to reality!

ReputationRep:
    I think that marriage nowadays is overrated because the vast majority of couples who tie the knot think their lives are suddenly gonna become better because of marriage. To me, marriage won't improve your relationship...it's more of a "legal" status that means nothing in my eyes. Plenty of married people out there getting divorced, cheating, unhappy, etc.

ReputationRep:
    You've been watching too many romantic films. Get back to reality!
    ??? You haven't addressed any point I have actually made.

There's nothing I can say back to nonsense, lol. Continue as you are.

ReputationRep:
    ??? You haven't addressed any point I have actually made.

There's nothing I can say back to nonsense, lol. Continue as you are.
    You think most divorces end amicably? That's nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    You think most divorces end amicably? That's nonsense.
    I said reasonable amicably. Few divorces are completely amicable, but most people can come to reasonable shared decisions about their terms and assets.

The FACT is that those divorces actually requiring a judge to sort out the settlements are in a tiny minority.

You are the one living in a persecution fantasyland.

ReputationRep:

Lol :rolleyes: you actually believe that men come out of divorces less scaved than women. Only an idiot would believe that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most weddings are just over indulgent egotistical bull**** ... I'm never getting married.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckyweck)
    Wouldn't that be the case whether they had been married or not? If they're gonna go off with someone else they'd have to get divorced and that would still complicate things.
    Not as much though as the wife would struggle to contest a will from father to son in a marriage rather than a father to *******. In the past this made more sense if a guy accidentally knocked up some kid who turned up later in life demanding things, where as now peoples mentality is very different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    Lol :rolleyes: you actually believe that men come out of divorces less scaved than women. Only an idiot would believe that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People who ramble on about the injustice pay no heed to the sacrifice (career, time, money) of being the main carer for children, or the fact that children's wellbeing is the main reason for a seemingly unfair or uneven settlement (btw, need I mention again that most are settled outside of court by some form of mutual agreement)

Perhaps if you think it's so great being the "receiving" partner in a divorce, you might want to opt in by being the main childrearer and letting your wife bring in the dough. Then you can have a share of her cash in the (inevitable? ~40%) divorce. The option is completely open to you.

ReputationRep:
    People who ramble on about the injustice pay no heed to the sacrifice (career, time, money) of being the main carer for children, or the fact that children's wellbeing is the main reason for a seemingly unfair or uneven settlement (btw, need I mention again that most are settled outside of court by some form of mutual agreement)

Perhaps if you think it's so great being the "receiving" partner in a divorce, you might want to opt in by being the main childrearer and letting your wife bring in the dough. Then you can have a share of her cash in the (inevitable? ~40%) divorce. The option is completely open to you.
    Firstly tell me who wins custodial rights 90% of the time? And then tell me who wins monetary payments 95% of the time? Yes it is an injustice, both parents work full time and both are great parents, but in court, by default the mother gets the child. Why? Because maternal rights beat paternal rights.
    Also who initiated the divorce 70% of the time?? Hmmm....
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Firstly tell me who wins custodial rights 90% of the time? And then tell me who wins monetary payments 95% of the time? Yes it is an injustice, both parents work full time and both are great parents, but in court, by default the mother gets the child. Why? Because maternal rights beat paternal rights.
    http://fullfact.org/factchecks/custo...y_mothers-3096

Most children live with their mother following divorce. But the vast majority of custody decisions are decided outside of court. I'd like to see actual statistics based on court decisions, because 90% is likely incorrect. I fully support fathers' equal rights to their children where they have been equal/main caregiver for them during the marriage. But the truth is that most fathers aren't, not necessarily all their fault in the past, but nowadays you can take the paternity leave instead of your wife, you can be the stay at home dad if you want - and whilst bias may exist the courts aren't denying huge numbers of main/equal-caregiver father their custody, that's even if these decisions reach court - which they don't. Against, most custody arrangements agreed outside of court.

It doesn't matter what gender you are, if you have made the sacrifices to raise children and/or continue to look after those children, the other partner has a responsibility to make the finances more even. That men are less often in the position of being the main care giver doesn't make that sentiment sexist. I would just as much support a wealthier wife paying child support/ dividing assets, which is sometimes the case.

Again - anecdotal evidence with my neighbours. Both full-time workers, they settled outside of court with fairly evenly balanced custody, and division of assets with the male partner staying in the house. And don't mistake me, they weren't best pals after their divorce, they really hated each other. But they made fair adult decisions (particularly with regard to their child's wellbeing) like even people who hate each other can. They are more typical than these horror stories of "woman takes all".

ReputationRep:
    http://fullfact.org/factchecks/custo...y_mothers-3096

Most children live with their mother following divorce. But the vast majority of custody decisions are decided outside of court. I'd like to see actual statistics based on court decisions, because 90% is likely incorrect. I fully support fathers' equal rights to their children where they have been equal/main caregiver for them during the marriage. But the truth is that most fathers aren't, not necessarily all their fault in the past, but nowadays you can take the paternity leave instead of your wife, you can be the stay at home dad if you want - and whilst bias may exist the courts aren't denying huge numbers of main/equal-caregiver father their custody, that's even if these decisions reach court - which they don't. Against, most custody arrangements agreed outside of court.
    The report says 95.1% of children after divorce live with their mother. :facepalm: :rolleyes: you actually believe that men aren't majorly disadvantaged in divorce/ custodial hearings? And being a stay at home dad? What women would ever aggree to that? She'd have to be on crack.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Legally speaking, it does make a difference. I'm indifferent to it but if I found someone I would like to have some sort of ceremony just so my granda can walk someone up the aisle as none of his daughters got married.

ReputationRep:
    The report says 95.1% of children after divorce live with their mother. :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you obviously can't follow my point at all :facepalm:

That isn't 95.1% of custody awarded to mother in court.

That's 95.1% of children living with their mother, most of which as a result of mutual agreement by both parents outside of court.

If you can't understand the difference there isn't much point in me engaging with you. Women hardly take the blame for "stealing the children" in the majority of cases where both parents agree that's for the best/ what they both want.

EDIT: Even a statistic of court-awarded custody would have to be compared to the proportion of cases in which the mother actually was the most suitable parent. Given that women are more likely to take leave from work, work part time, and fulfill childcare responsibilities at least >50% would not be unreasonable nor unexpected.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.