The Student Room Group

Do you think marriage makes a difference?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boba
are you sure about this? My parents aren't married, but are together, very similar to the OPS story actually minus the university bit, and my dad has signed for me to have major surgery when I was to young to do so myself. In fact pretty much anything that has ever been signed for me was by my dad as I have his name not my mums and it causes less hassle. :confused:

Yup, certain. Come 16 he can walk away and drop everything. It's a mess.
Original post by cartman
Feminism will soon fade away. Make no mistake about that.

Whilst I don't condone rape, women walking around with their tits on show isn't helping, is it now? And before you neg me, hear me out. I should have the right to leave the doors and windows to my house open, however, I know by doing so I am inviting a thief into my home. That's the way the world works unfortunately.

Ridiculous and childish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Really? I recall you saying this?

"The slut walk is pointless, blaming a man for committing rape the same way as blaming someone for murder, is right, but blaming men in general for rape? No, you don't exactly see all men standing out on the streets sexually assaulting women like it's a casual thing, it's just abhorrent to say this stuff."

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2278321&page=26&page=26

And? What is the point in that quote? So you think that men in general are rapists? :rolleyes: saying its not okay to rape to someone is like saying it's not okay to repetitively stab someone. Saying that people should "teach" boys not to rape is pretty bloody stupid, do you think that men in general are rapists? So you aggree with the other person that most men are rapists then? What next are you going to tell me next? Normal men are cerial killers? What she said the slut walk is for is obviously wrong! Don't blame a victim for clothing should be the point of any slut walk what that moron said that it was for is not right.

But I bet you think men in general are rapists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Beckyweck
I want to know what people think about marriage. Do you think that there is a big difference between marriage and just cohabiting?

For example, I don't feel that marriage is a massive step if you're cohabiting already since after a wedding you just go back to normal life anyway but when I voiced this opinion in a conversation I was told not to be ridiculous and of course it makes a huge difference

My brother said that it feels different after he married my sister-in-law. Two of my closest gay friends who live in the US married, and they said it makes it feel more profound, more permanent.

In fact, the words of the sassy Edith Windsor (who married her sweetheart at age 75, after 40 years together!) seem quite credible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbt99LfMP54

My parents have cohabited for the last 22 years without being married and I don't think their lives would be any different if they were married.

What do you think?

I suppose people should do what feels right for them. Still, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to your folks, it's always seemed to me as though there's something churlish about when people say "we don't need a marriage certificate to prove our love".

Marriage is also about standing before your friends, family and community, and committing to one another as a couple, not just the legal status
Original post by jreid1994
X

Having read Goody2shoes' post and yours, I think you're on the same page :/
And? What is the point in that quote? So you think that men in general are rapists? :rolleyes: saying its not okay to rape to someone is like saying it's not okay to repetitively stab someone. Saying that people should "teach" boys not to rape is pretty bloody stupid, do you think that men in general are rapists? So you aggree with the other person that most men are rapists then? What next are you going to tell me next? Normal men are cerial killers? What she said the slut walk is for is obviously wrong! Don't blame a victim for clothing should be the point of any slut walk what that moron said that it was for is not right.

But I bet you think men in general are rapists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The bit in bold really made me laugh. The point of me posting that quote is that you consistently contradict yourself. One minute you hate the slutwalk, then earlier in this thread you say it's one of two feminist points you agree with. The point of that quote is to demonstrate why I, and possibly others, can't take you too seriously in a debate.

That you then try and make snap judgements about my character (see the bit in bold) because you can see you mucked up is laughable.
Original post by MostUncivilised
Having read Goody2shoes' post and yours, I think you're on the same page :/

Sorry, I'm a tad confused by what you posted. Do you think you could clarify? I've not been keeping too much of a close eye on this thread. :colondollar:

Anyway, to anwser the original question, aside from the lagal implications, (which I think you can arrange anyway, in terms of will etc) I don't think marriage makes too much of a difference. I don't judge people's relationships any differentley if they're married. It's just a tradition we're all used to as it's what we've been taught since we were young. From fairy tales, to just social situations of people we know getting married - it doesn't mean it's vital anymore.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by boba
are you sure about this? My parents aren't married, but are together, very similar to the OPS story actually minus the university bit, and my dad has signed for me to have major surgery when I was to young to do so myself. In fact pretty much anything that has ever been signed for me was by my dad as I have his name not my mums and it causes less hassle. :confused:

That's something I forgot to mention. I too, as well as my brother, have my dads surname. And he too has always signed for things. We had a pretty traditional household in terms of gender roles in fact, stay at home mum and working dad who sorted everything out. Except they weren't married. xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MostUncivilised
My brother said that it feels different after he married my sister-in-law. Two of my closest gay friends who live in the US married, and they said it makes it feel more profound, more permanent.

In fact, the words of the sassy Edith Windsor (who married her sweetheart at age 75, after 40 years together!) seem quite credible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbt99LfMP54

I suppose people should do what feels right for them. Still, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to your folks, it's always seemed to me as though there's something churlish about when people say "we don't need a marriage certificate to prove our love".

Marriage is also about standing before your friends, family and community, and committing to one another as a couple, not just the legal status

No offence taken. :smile: They didn't marry for financial reasons at the time and then felt silly doing it decades later. And my mum is shy as I mentioned before. Nothing to do with refusing to validate it to the world or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to know what people think about marriage. Do you think that there is a big difference between marriage and just cohabiting?

For example, I don't feel that marriage is a massive step if you're cohabiting already since after a wedding you just go back to normal life anyway but when I voiced this opinion in a conversation I was told not to be ridiculous and of course it makes a huge difference.

My parents have cohabited for the last 22 years without being married and I don't think their lives would be any different if they were married.

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think there is much of a difference either. I still have to get married either way cause my parents would never let me live with someone without being married [it goes against THEIR religion and culture].
The bit in bold really made me laugh. The point of me posting that quote is that you consistently contradict yourself. One minute you hate the slutwalk, then earlier in this thread you say it's one of two feminist points you agree with. The point of that quote is to demonstrate why I, and possibly others, can't take you too seriously in a debate.

That you then try and make snap judgements about my character (see the bit in bold) because you can see you mucked up is laughable.

Read the quote properly :rolleyes: I said that the slut walk is only good if it's for stopping victim judgement/blaming of wearing revealing clothing. Saying teach men not to rape is just about the most stupid suggestion I've ever heard, why not tell a murderer that killing is wrong, see how far that gets you. Why do you aggree with the person that men are so stupid they don't know what rape is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by Jimbo1234
Yup, certain. Come 16 he can walk away and drop everything. It's a mess.

what do you mean come 16?
so he would be liable under 16? isn't that how it works anyway
Reply 112
That's something I forgot to mention. I too, as well as my brother, have my dads surname. And he too has always signed for things. We had a pretty traditional household in terms of gender roles in fact, stay at home mum and working dad who sorted everything out. Except they weren't married. xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

same. I always thought that wasn't very sensible as if they ever DID split up, no matter how unlikely, she would be left with nothing. However I never would of worried he would leave us if he left her, whether the courts said so or not.
i personally dont feel that marriage can make a relationship stronger, only in those cases where the relationship is not that strong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boba
what do you mean come 16?
so he would be liable under 16? isn't that how it works anyway

Legally after 16, he might as well be a stranger to you. The problem comes when you inherit things from them or would need the power of attorney etc, though this is nothing compared to the problems your mum would have if he left her eg. if her name is not on it, she has on rights to anything - no money, housing, income etc.
Reply 115

What do you think?

Depends what people want out of their relationships; I've thought that one day I'd like to get married however all I seem to hear is that people get divorced.

Each to their own I think.
Original post by Sammi_K?
I don't think there is much of a difference either. I still have to get married either way cause my parents would never let me live with someone without being married [it goes against THEIR religion and culture].

So as many people have shown, are you not aware of the legal problems of not being married?
Reply 117
Original post by Jimbo1234
Legally after 16, he might as well be a stranger to you. The problem comes when you inherit things from them or would need the power of attorney etc, though this is nothing compared to the problems your mum would have if he left her eg. if her name is not on it, she has on rights to anything - no money, housing, income etc.

her name is on everything. But this is the reason why she keeps telling him to write a will. unfortunately he has some strange idea that doing so it "jynxing it" and would somehow cause him to die.

http://www.lawandparents.co.uk/parental-responsibility.html

according to this they could of simply signed a form and he would of got all equal rights and responsibilities. It also says if a child is born now that will automatically happen. so even though it could of caused possible problems with my parents generation it shouldn't matter to people making the decison now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Read the quote properly :rolleyes: I said that the slut walk is only good if it's for stopping victim judgement/blaming of wearing revealing clothing. Saying teach men not to rape is just about the most stupid suggestion I've ever heard, why not tell a murderer that killing is wrong, see how far that gets you. Why do you aggree with the person that men are so stupid they don't know what rape is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll tell you exactly what I said in the other thread - I don't agree with a lot of men bashing that goes on in the slut walk. I'm not going into this again. If you want to debate this with me, PM me. Otherwise it's not fair to keep derailing the thread.
I'll tell you exactly what I said in the other thread - I don't agree with a lot of men bashing that goes on in the slut walk. I'm not going into this again. If you want to debate this with me, PM me. Otherwise it's not fair to keep derailing the thread.

Okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending