Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP! AS Edexcel History Essay Structuring watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I currently do AS History and do Unit 1 (Relations with the American Colonies & the War of Independence c1740-89) and Unit 2 (British Political History 1945-90; Slavery, the Slave Trade, and Abolition c1760-1833).
    I was wondering to those who have done this exam (not necessarily the same Options) how you structured your essays in the exam? If i could have a detailed explanation that would be really helpful as i seem to hit and miss when i write essays and i really need an A!!
    Any help is greatly appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    depends on Q. I don't do same units, but as an example

To what extent was XXXX responsible for YYYY?

Structure

Introduction: mention all paragraph themes and indicate line of argument; set context of q.

It can largely be argued that XXXX was responsible for YYYY that was so important because it ZZZZ.... these can be considered in terms of XXXX, however it is also vital to consider XXX2, XXX3 and XXX4. Overall, it is clear that [[XXX3]] was the most important factor....

OK then your paragraphs should be categorised into 'factors' like this (make sure your planning is good, spend 2-3 mins getting essay structure at beginning with the factor in the question as ur first paragraph (if the question is worded that way)

XXXX....
    - Several points about why this WAS the most important factor
    However,
    - Several points about why it wasn't
    >>> as a last sentence, come to an analytical judgement about how important it was altogether.

XXX1,2,3,4
    - Several points about why this WAS the most important factor
    However,
    - Several points about why it wasn't
    >>> as a last sentence, come to an analytical judgement about how important it was altogether COMPARED TO OTHER FACTORS

(don't split paragraphs; keep for/against in same one)

Draw a conclusion based on what you have said, come down on one side of the fence and decide which factor was the most important

Not all q's are like that: they could also ask something like to what degree was XXXX reformed by so and so. Just consider different aspects in this question. Much as the above, decide which aspect is the most important (e.g. social, economic, political factors in african american status 1945-55, OR their progress in voting, education, transport, health etc. - whatever way is fine so long as the info is in). Allows you to come to analytical conclusion of XXX1 was significant, however XXX3 was clearly the most as... so on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 7, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.