Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Edit.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Firstly - TA - not TAs.

Secondly - if you are working and doing a Masters as well, you will be more than busy enough without adding something like the TA on top. Being 3/4 of the way through a part time MSc, I can assure you that it takes a lot of time and effort.

As far as 'doing a tour' goes: if you were successful and they took you on for 2 years, and they didn't class you as a student (therefore not deployable), it would take more than that time to get you trained up and ready.

Who is paying for the Masters? If it is your employer, they are not going to be willing to let you put something else as a higher priority.

I think you need to think about this a bit more and do some research into things a bit deeper and then work out your priorities.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of police forces don't allow you to be a member of the TA as well due to work commitments which may collide with commitments to the TA. Don't take my word for it but I think that's the position, it was when I was a soldier. Why not join the specials? Surely that would boost your application to the police and be more relevant for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    I'm doing a part-time master's this September and I am set on joining the TAs for those two years before applying for the police force. I first looked into the UOTC but it seems that it's only for full-time students, plus it looked a bit less serious and not as challenging... just a bit student-y.

Anyway, it will therefore be Group A and I will be trained for mobilisation. My question is: how does this work exactly? I would be keen on doing a tour but how does that work with my master's and part-time job? Can I simply tell them I will be back in a few months or can my university kick me out or my employer fire me?
    Right, I'm currently a serving soldier in the TA, so I'll give you the information straight from the horse's mouth.

The first question you need to ask yourself is: "Do I want to be an officer, or a soldier?". If it is the former, then it is going to be far more beneficial (and safer) to join an OTC. Firstly, the future of the Officer Training Wings that trained "TA" officers is seriously in doubt and supposedly all officer training is due to come under the remit of the OTCs. Secondly, if you complete all the modules with the OTC you will still come out of Sandhurst as a Group A trained officer; all you need to do is then transfer to another unit.

The quality of the UOTC is very variable though. I've met some very switched on, very motivated and fit O/Cdts and I've also encountered the complete opposite. Just something to bear in mind.

Now, regarding tours, as a fully trained Group A soldier you would be eligible for mobilisation (if you're a full time student you can appeal against it though with no dramas). If you volunteer for deployment your job is not protected. If you are compulsorily mobilised then it is protected. I'm not sure where your university would stand, most students I know who've deployed have tken a sabbatical.

I wrote that all very quickly, I may have missed a few things out, but thats the general gist of it all. If you need anything else just PM me.

(If you don't mind me asking, what unit are you hoping to join?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Thank you, that was very helpful.

I want to be a soldier rather than an officer because from what I've read, officers are less involved in 'the action'. Regardless though, I want to join from the very bottom.

I will be a part-time student so I don't think I am eligible for the OTC and I guess neither could I appeal against mobilisation (though I wouldn't want to appeal unless something drastically changed in my life). So basically I cannot volunteer as I will lose my job but if I wait for the compulsory mobilisation I can keep my job? How long are people in the TA before being mobilised compulsorily? What is your own experience with mobilisation if you don't mind?
    As it stands, the Army is only operating on voluntary mobilisations. I think (I would be wrong) the last compulsory job was the 2003 Iraq invasion. In all likelihood though, unless with get caught up in Syria or Africa, the TA is unlikely to be operationally deployed for a while (Op Tosca aside). Personally I've never been deployed; got to get my studies sorted before anything else.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't get called up and highly likely that you would not get to deploy inside the 2 years you are planning on, even if you managed to get fully trained.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that the TA is not only 'weekend work' you need to put in as much as you want out. Also; normally you will do a 2 weekends each month and Tuesday night training with a training camp of 2 weeks each year.

What regiment are you wanting to go for a some, The Paras, Royal Marines and such have a higher level standard of fitness.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.