Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am second year at Durham University and want to do a Masters in America. I am looking at HBS, CBS, Princeton and Wharton Business School. Interested in Finance. I have a lot of experience within the industry around the world (Asia/America/UK) and a lot of EC's aswell. Will most likely graduate with a 1st from Durham. Was just wondering if I have a good shot for the schools listed? Would people recommend getting a Masters or working for a few years and just going to the states to do an MBA?

Any advice appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I live in United States and from what I know Harvard and Stanford have the best business schools in United States. Because schools in US dont offer funding to International students, you have a good chance in getting into schools in US since you are bringing free money into the country and the university. I say do the masters right after you finish your undergrad (thats what i am doing this year) and then work. Usually people take a break in between masters and phd because you do need experience to write a good dissertation. Good luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bushnyak07)
    I live in United States and from what I know Harvard and Stanford have the best business schools in United States. Because schools in US dont offer funding to International students, you have a good chance in getting into schools in US since you are bringing free money into the country and the university. I say do the masters right after you finish your undergrad (thats what i am doing this year) and then work. Usually people take a break in between masters and phd because you do need experience to write a good dissertation. Good luck with everything

Thanks for the reply! Anyone else have some views?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    According to the people I know who went to these schools, you would normally need 2-5 years of work experience before applying. This only holds true for the top business schools you listed, correct if I'm wrong but Princeton doesn't have a business school. So, the best thing to do is gain some work experience here in the UK, make sure to emphasise leadership and professional growth in those years and then apply.

Or, if you really want to get a masters after uni, they're are a lot of top Masters in Finance program's in the US that place relatively well onto Wall Street.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bushnyak07)
    On the contrary, universities such as Harvard and Stanford have astronomical endowments therefore their financial aid is quite decent if not amazing for both Domestic and International students. Although at the MBA level this financial aid will not always meet the full cost of tuition and many will have to finance it through loans.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.