Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am doing Love through the ages for A2 English Literature but I am struggling with how to structure an essay in the exam. I know that for the first question you only bring in wider reading of the genre in the question but I am not sure how to stucture and where to put context in the answer.

If anyone can give me a example structure of an essay for the questions and what sort of things I put in the intro and conclusion it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOCDpixie)
    Hi,

I am doing Love through the ages for A2 English Literature but I am struggling with how to structure an essay in the exam. I know that for the first question you only bring in wider reading of the genre in the question but I am not sure how to stucture and where to put context in the answer.

If anyone can give me a example structure of an essay for the questions and what sort of things I put in the intro and conclusion it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    I find this quite difficult too, one of the tips my teacher has given us is to focus on thematic links between the texts, so read through both and annotate your ideas and literary devices then make a list of the themes (e.g. power and control, jealousy, meetings). You can then compare the ways in which the writers present an opinion on one of the themes in a comparison, such as 'Both authors X and Y present the theme of jealousy. Writer X uses a metaphor to do this in (quote) whereas writer Y uses a simile in (quote)' and you can then compare the effects on the reader and so on. Each theme therefore becomes a paragraph.

As for context, I find it's easier to link it in with form and structure than language (otherwise you make some sort of basic link about archaic language). I usually say something like 'Text X is in the form of a Shakespearean sonnet, which was the dominant form in the Renaissance due to their ability to be performed at readings due to low literacy levels'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    I find this quite difficult too, one of the tips my teacher has given us is to focus on thematic links between the texts, so read through both and annotate your ideas and literary devices then make a list of the themes (e.g. power and control, jealousy, meetings). You can then compare the ways in which the writers present an opinion on one of the themes in a comparison, such as 'Both authors X and Y present the theme of jealousy. Writer X uses a metaphor to do this in (quote) whereas writer Y uses a simile in (quote)' and you can then compare the effects on the reader and so on. Each theme therefore becomes a paragraph.

As for context, I find it's easier to link it in with form and structure than language (otherwise you make some sort of basic link about archaic language). I usually say something like 'Text X is in the form of a Shakespearean sonnet, which was the dominant form in the Renaissance due to their ability to be performed at readings due to low literacy levels'.
    Thank you!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.