Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't sure where to put this?

I wouldn't call myself a good artist by any stretch of the imagination but it's a past time I enjoy very much and I feel that I'm reaching the point where I can draw the subject perfectly fine, but colouring it is difficult because I'm using bog standard childrens pencils*. It's my birthday coming up next month so I thought I'd ask for a decent set of pencils!

Reading from google it would appear that I need soft leaded pencils as I want colours that I can blend together easily (my current ones are very waxy and just sit on the page, with no chance of blending). What is the best brand? What other things do I need to look for? Should I buy in store or is online ok (what with the fragility of leads)?

Also, I have a very old watercolour paint block - like this one

If I wanted to replace the paints in it (most of them are non-existant now ) what do I do?

*I know an amazing artist would be able to work around this, but currently I don't know how.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    It's my birthday coming up next month so I thought I'd ask for a decent set of pencils!
    I'm afraid I might be giving a generic answer, but Prismacolor Premier are pretty boss :P
    Other obvious choice is Faber-Castell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DSCF0911.JPG)
    I'm afraid I might be giving a generic answer, but Prismacolor Premier are pretty boss :P
    Other obvious choice is Faber-Castell...
    Trust me, I have no clue when it comes to colour pencils so nothing is generic From my tentative research Prismacolours are very popular but seem to have some trouble with keeping the lead whole in the barrel?

I quite like the idea of some Faber-Castells, I'm finding it hard to find some on the internet though to get an idea of price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Trust me, I have no clue when it comes to colour pencils so nothing is generic From my tentative research Prismacolours are very popular but seem to have some trouble with keeping the lead whole in the barrel?

I quite like the idea of some Faber-Castells, I'm finding it hard to find some on the internet though to get an idea of price.
    Again, generic advice: Amazon UK seems to do it right.

And as for lead problem, there are also very easy fixes, and they do seem to be the best choice.

Having said all this, you couldn't go wrong with ordering samples, or buying single pencils, OR getting a friend who has lots and trying the different brands/ranges out prior to making a request

ReputationRep:
    Castell
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The watercolour block is Winsor and Newton - they do sell individual refill blocks but you might as well get a new set for the effort. Pricey but they do work beautifully.
    I draw with Faber-Castell pencils FWIW

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.