Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok I'm in a real dark place right now. I've seen several therapists and I've had a whole lot of problems such as a little OCD, lots of general anxiety/panic attacks for years.

The thing I cannot seem to get a solution for from 3 therapists is this....I don't know, some blend of perfectionism/OCD when It comes to understanding....anything.

Because of this I literally have lost interest in anything that I am/was good at. I gained 100% and award for some subjects but never took them to university because of this issue.

I'll try to explain it here:

It's basically whatever the 'focus' of my life is, I'm constantly trying to perfect my understanding of it but it's impossible. So for example, I'll become really interested in economics, but then i'll watch the news and not understand something that the news is saaying about economics, or I'll read the financial times and in every article i'll get ridiculously stressed out about not understanding the economics in it. It's ridiculous.

Or let#s take geography, once I got interested in that, I couldn't look out windows or walk around the countryside without stressing about what formed the landscapes, the weather etc etc; same happened when I got interested in psychology- I started analysing people's personalities and trying to link them to psychology theories etc.

I know that sounds stupid, but when I don't understand something it really taps into something, real debilitating worry/anxiety.

Please help! I don't know what to do about this. It's not normal worry

ReputationRep:
    What therapy have you tried? CBT, mindfulness, hypnotherapy? It sounds to me like you need to have a way to distract your mind when it starts to get worked up about not completely understanding everything. Part of you problem may be that you fixate and are unable to let go.

You should find a hobby that doesn't allow you to fixate, that means you are constantly having to think fast. Maybe take up an extreme sport?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.