Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I have a conditional place at Edinburgh for September 2013. I am quite dyslexic. I also have an offer from St Andrews and their Disabilities department emailed me this week. Although I haven't heard from UoE Disabilities dept, I checked the their section on the Edinburgh website and it looks very good. Very thorough.

What sort of support does Edinburgh provide and does it help?

Would love to hear feedback about the dyslexia support available at Edinburgh.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm a dyslexic student at Edinburgh and it's amazing. So supportive! I have double loans on the shorter loans at the library (turned 3 hour book loans into 6 hours, and one week into 2 week etc...). I have a computer for exams, extra time and 30 minutes reading time at the start of an exam. I have permission to record lectures, I take notes on a computer (they offered to help me apply for funding for a special laptop for purpose, but I already had one). They've offered me software to help with notetaking. At the moment I have stickers on every essay informing the markers that I have learning difficulties, although they've emailed me to inform me that they're thinking of getting rid of these. They have told me that there's no way I will ever have more than one exam on the same day because of extra time etc, and promised to alter exam timetables if there are any clashes instead of making me take exams back to back. Frankly, they've been incredible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamasincook22)
    Hiya, I'm a dyslexic student at Edinburgh and it's amazing. So supportive! I have double loans on the shorter loans at the library (turned 3 hour book loans into 6 hours, and one week into 2 week etc...). I have a computer for exams, extra time and 30 minutes reading time at the start of an exam. I have permission to record lectures, I take notes on a computer (they offered to help me apply for funding for a special laptop for purpose, but I already had one). They've offered me software to help with notetaking. At the moment I have stickers on every essay informing the markers that I have learning difficulties, although they've emailed me to inform me that they're thinking of getting rid of these. They have told me that there's no way I will ever have more than one exam on the same day because of extra time etc, and promised to alter exam timetables if there are any clashes instead of making me take exams back to back. Frankly, they've been incredible.
    Thank you for taking the time to give me such a comprehensive answer. This is all so reassuring. It sounds great and that the university are very helpful. According to my DSA assessment and Ed Psych report I am meant to be entitled to everything you have mentioned so it is great to know they deliver! Do they also give you breaks in exams and if they do, do you find they help? I can't decide if it would be beneficial or not. I am worried I might lose concentration. What do you think?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioBio)
    Thank you for taking the time to give me such a comprehensive answer. This is all so reassuring. It sounds great and that the university are very helpful. According to my DSA assessment and Ed Psych report I am meant to be entitled to everything you have mentioned so it is great to know they deliver! Do they also give you breaks in exams and if they do, do you find they help? I can't decide if it would be beneficial or not. I am worried I might lose concentration. What do you think?

Thanks
    I haven't ever taken a break in an exam, mainly because I'm scared it would interrupt my thinking, so can't help you there, sorry! I might enquire about them next year, because, with reading time and extra time on top of an already long exam, my exams are looking REALLY long (one of my afternoon exams will be finishing at half 6?!). At the moment, I think I can cope without them, and am worried that I wouldn't be able to time my answers properly if I broke it up, so can't help you too much, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamasincook22)
    That's unbelievable. At A level they don't give that much care and attention!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.