Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi guys, some insights would be appreciated. I'll try keep it short...

Basically, around Christmas I confessed that I liked a good friend of mine. He wasn't interested, which is fine, and we went back to being friends fairly successfully (with some initial awkwardness of course, but we had the Christmas break to process things).

Then in February I started seeing this wonderful guy and we're now in a relationship. The thing is, my friend seems to have turned very hostile towards me since it happened. He's basically stopped answering my texts, and he has stopped coming to a lot of events with our group of friends. He has met my boyfriend a few times, and acted very coldly towards him (to the extent that some of my other friends commented on it to me!). I just don't understand why he is behaving this way. He was the one to reject me!! I know that he wants a relationship himself, and thus seeing one unfold in front of him has to be a bit hard, but I don't understand why he's being so hostile. He's a good friend and I would hate to lose him, but I find myself being so annoyed at him these days.

ReputationRep:
    Some people want what they can't have.

When he could have you, he didn't want you. Now that he can't have you, he wants you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    ^^ No better way to say it really... Us guys can be right ***** sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Well, does he know you are on TSR? That could be the reason, as he might be part of a rival forum and doesn't want to speak to people on TSR . Something to think abiout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys, some insights would be appreciated. I'll try keep it short...

Basically, around Christmas I confessed that I liked a good friend of mine. He wasn't interested, which is fine, and we went back to being friends fairly successfully (with some initial awkwardness of course, but we had the Christmas break to process things).

Then in February I started seeing this wonderful guy and we're now in a relationship. The thing is, my friend seems to have turned very hostile towards me since it happened. He's basically stopped answering my texts, and he has stopped coming to a lot of events with our group of friends. He has met my boyfriend a few times, and acted very coldly towards him (to the extent that some of my other friends commented on it to me!). I just don't understand why he is behaving this way. He was the one to reject me!! I know that he wants a relationship himself, and thus seeing one unfold in front of him has to be a bit hard, but I don't understand why he's being so hostile. He's a good friend and I would hate to lose him, but I find myself being so annoyed at him these days.
    Basically hes being jealous and really does need to grow up. He was obviously flattered that you were attracted to him even though he didnt want a relationship, but now you have met someone else he no longer feels special and hates that fact.

I would actually confront him and let him understand that he cant act like this and has to grow up. You obviously still want to be his freind, so explain that to him too. If he continues to act like a baby then you'll just have to leave him to it until he can come terms with his behaviour.

(Original post by Aries1992)
    x

(Original post by Dalilsp)
    x

(Original post by Macabre)
    x
    Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I had just dismissed the idea of his being jealous or anything like that, because as I explained he was the one to friendzone me... I do think part of the problem is that he does want a girlfriend & a relationship himself, so I thought perhaps he was just feeling down about that. It's got to the point where I actively try not to talk about my boyfriend around him as I can see it annoys him (I'm not the type to gush about a guy, but if he asks me what I was up to recently and I was doing something with the bf, I'll just skim over it).

I'm not sure how to bring it up in conversation & ask him about it though? I don't want to appear to be rubbing his face in it that I'm now in a relationship, but I also want to try & get across that something doesn't feel right anymore... Any advice on this would be appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sounds as if he realised what he had lost out on after, not your problem, he had his chance and didn't take it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.