The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PoGo HoPz
Plenty of people to choose from though. What character did Amy play?

Amy was a Soothsayer, one of the girls in the red capes.
Excellent choice, the guy is a brilliant actor and funny as hell. Unfortunately because it's pre watershed we won't be able to hear his amzing ability to swear though.
Not sure I'm happy with Peter being the next doctor.
When I saw Matt Smith had cut off his hair, I was starting to hope he was going to regenerate into himself with shorter hair.
Sadly no.
Reply 2083
He can do sentimental parts very well- just watch the 2nd series of "The Hour". I don't know how well he'll be able to do the mapcap Doctorness, but maybe they'll play it down for a more cerebral air. Would be a nice change of pace.

He's a good actor, and an interesting choice. He will definitely be different from Smith and Tennant. And it's good to have an older Doctor, too, after the previous two. I trust Moffat knows what he's doing (despite 7 part 2).
Reply 2084
Found it weird how both Karen and Peter were from Fires of Pompeii but i suppose we just don't have that many actors so we must recycle :tongue:
I like Peter though, he just looks like the next doctor to me, cant wait to see him act :smile:
Reply 2085
So happy with this choice, hopefully the series will be more darker and serious now.
I found Matt Smith eventually too hard to watch, I thought DW became so childish in a sense. Peter Capaldi will hopefully bring back some seriousness to it, he's an absolutely fantastic choice :smile:
Reply 2087
I wonder what accent Peter Capaldi will be employing
Original post by FuzzySheep
I found Matt Smith eventually too hard to watch, I thought DW became so childish in a sense. Peter Capaldi will hopefully bring back some seriousness to it, he's an absolutely fantastic choice :smile:

100% this
Original post by Superunknown17
Have you seen him in The Thick of It, completely different from his off screen persona, I think he'll make an excellent doctor and I'm interested to see what he'll bring to the role and what will be unique about his incarnation of the Doctor.

Yeah, watching him act is a revelation, he utterly becomes the character.

I think we should prepare for fireworks. :colondollar:
I just realised, the last time River saw the Doctor (before 10) was when he was older. We get another emotional farewell, I hope that's not the xmas special.
I'm definitely looking forward to the brooding Doctor that Peter Capaldi will probably bring. Eleven had his moments of darkness but they were very rare; I expect Twelve to be more menacing by nature.

This could potentially be Twelve and he looks pretty badass in this one pic alone.
Peter Capaldi. He's perfect.Glorious actor, glorious man. Sheer perfection. Roll on 12 :love:

It's too bad he won't be able to level his signature tirade of abuse.I would of loved a raj swear-y doctor but, yaknow, kids are a thing :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see what his outfit looks like, in fact I want to see a design right now! Personally, I think he should roll with a dark, mysterious look, I love a good dark-side to the Doctor).:tongue:
Original post by Mr.Messy
I'm definitely looking forward to the brooding Doctor that Peter Capaldi will probably bring. Eleven had his moments of darkness but they were very rare; I expect Twelve to be more menacing by nature.

This could potentially be Twelve and he looks pretty badass in this one pic alone.

I love it. Dammit I want to see his real outfit right now. :biggrin: I'd love 12 to be quite a broody, menacing, dark Doctor :eek:
Original post by Rascacielos
I'm sceptical, I really am. I was sceptical when I heard Peter Capaldi's name for the first time, because of his age mostly, and after seeing his pretty dull interview, I'm even more so. There's such a huge difference between him and Matt Smith and whilst difference is good, the 12th has to have some personality and Peter Capaldi seems to have none. He has a lot to live up to.

But I was dubious about Matt Smith when he was cast, so I'll give this guy a chance. I just hope 2014 isn't when I finally give up on Doctor Who.

That guy who was giving the interview with Bernard Cribbins (I forget his name), said Peter Ecclestone. I bet he knew - who else would he get mixed up with?!

Rufus Hound (the guy with Cribbins) has written a blog about how ashamed he is as a fan after last night's shambles:
http://rufushound.wordpress.com/2013/08/05/i-want-to-shoot-myself-in-the-head/
He explains that he's close to Christopher Eccleston's cousin, who is Peter Eccleston..

:dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2095
It cannot be linked, but there is a pretty awesome youtube video putting Malcolm Tucker into a Doctor Who trailer :mmm:
Original post by Aula
It cannot be linked, but there is a pretty awesome youtube video putting Malcolm Tucker into a Doctor Who trailer :mmm:

Love it, the dialogue and footage are perfect. :rofl2:

Permission to air Doctor Who past the watershed so we can see this fo real every week? :moon:
Wait, he wasn't even revealed in an episode? Kinda weird and anti-climactic.
I don't see why some people are a bit dubious about Peter being the Doctor because of his age - he's only in his 50s. Besides, he has a hot head teacher look going on - maybe this is a move into the Doctor become the darker Doctor which he has been hinted to become.
Great choice. Will revitalise the series and make it more about sci fi and frights than run-of-the-mill drama and fangirls. Good to see the BBC making some tough but sensible choices!

Quick Reply

Latest