Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    to be fair I hadn't heard of any of the actors to play the Doctor before they did till John Hurt and Peter Capaldi I'm not adverse to the idea of a female doctor, though I think the BBC will find it a hard sell no matter how they do it, the opposition from our society to anything that they even think might be "tokenism" or whatever nonsense people use to justify their sexism theseday's (it's all bull**** to me so).
    Weird question but is Davison and McGann the only ones that were really popular before being cast? Eccleston had done work but I don't think he was that massive and I have no idea about how big the first 3 were.

Oh that reminds me, not sure if anyone saw this but on the Radio Times a few weeks back someone was saying that their young daughter asked if the Doctor is going to be a woman, does that mean they'll have to change it to 'Nurse Who' :rofl: It was rather funny in an incredibly sad sort of way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    I hadn't even noticed!

Because that is how it works :facepalm:

If they were to go for a female Doctor they prehaps should do it as the 14th (if we include Hurt) then it would be after Capaldi. Could make it interesting with the new gender and the Doctor wondering why she is now still alive.
    Some people do not understand when people are joking as evidenced by someone leaving me neg rep for saying that lol

But I still believe that the only reason a female Doctor would be cast is to be modern which I hate when shows change just go be get ratings or as its suddenly cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    Weird question but is Davison and McGann the only ones that were really popular before being cast? Eccleston had done work but I don't think he was that massive and I have no idea about how big the first 3 were.
    I think William Hartnell was a fairly big actor before becoming Doctor Who, as was Jon Pertwee. Don't know about the rest.

ReputationRep:
    David Tennant wasn't very famous before playing the Doctor, just a few TV series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoghurt)
    I think William Hartnell was a fairly big actor before becoming Doctor Who, as was Jon Pertwee. Don't know about the rest.
    Ah good point, don't know why but I keep thinking all of Pertwee's big stuff is after DW. I know i've seen Troughton around a lot in Sci-Fi but sadly I don't know the dates.

(Original post by ChocolateMelody)
    David Tennant wasn't very famous before playing the Doctor, just a few TV series.
    I think everyone just sort of knew him as the quite handsome bloke from that one HP film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Some people do not understand when people are joking as evidenced by someone leaving me neg rep for saying that lol

But I still believe that the only reason a female Doctor would be cast is to be modern which I hate when shows change just go be get ratings or as its suddenly cool.
    Agreed, there is absolutely no need to cast a female Doctor besides a short boost in ratings. It has nothing to do with sexism, it is to do with the fact the character is iconic as a male.

Would people be accepting of a female James Bond or a Sherlock Holmes just because it is "politically correct"? No because those characters are male not female.

It will never happen anyway, it's too risky for the BBC when it is their biggest show.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Would people be accepting of a female James Bond or a Sherlock Holmes just because it is "politically correct"? No because those characters are male not female.

It will never happen anyway, it's too risky for the BBC when it is their biggest show.
    Well, they did have a female John Watson.

Although that wasn't the BBC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Well, they did have a female John Watson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    D'you mean Lucy Lu from that Elementary show?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    D'you mean Lucy Lu from that Elementary show?
    Aye, that's the one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Aye, that's the one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I found that less of a problem since its from an over 100 year old book series set in Victorian London so in order to fit in with modern life it needs to change.

However Dr Who is sci fi for one and has a set established ruleset

I also hate the modern reboot of the Tomorrow People since the first 2 series were just teenage shows about psychics who could teleport and was basically Dr Who with teenagers with no time travel or space travel(apart from one or two exceptions) and America remade it to a generic show with a pretty box with muscles and waxed body in his late 20's playing a teenager and has a sexual relationship that is just changing things around and ruining them.

Back in the late 90's there was an outcry over Superman's powers changing into energy based so high that it only lasted a year as he was defined as a icon by his powers and costume that suddenly changed.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I thought It was so brilliant they used all the doctors

Although i'm not sure about the fact Clara is meant to be everywhere through all his lives saving him?? I would prefer the eps how they are.

And the tardis is the same it is now, so he has to die with the tardis like that :confused:

It was a very good episode overall.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Anyone for a brand-new mini-episode, written by Neil Gaiman? :ahee:

This is from the series 7 DVD box set. Source: http://www.sidequesting.com/2013/09/...s-neil-gaiman/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Anyone for a brand-new mini-episode, written by Neil Gaiman? :ahee:

This is from the series 7 DVD box set. Source: http://www.sidequesting.com/2013/09/...s-neil-gaiman/
    Makes me think of the Aztecs a little. When there was gonna be a sacrifice, and the Doctor didn't want to interfer but his assistant wanted to show them there'd be rain without a death...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headli...ont-be-ignored

Actually feeling as this is RTD's plan, all will go well and make sense and this makes me happy.

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headli...ont-be-ignored

Actually feeling as this is RTD's plan, all will go well and make sense and this makes me happy.
    Yaay, am interested to see what this will be!

ReputationRep:
    Finally, found my sort of people....

(Original post by orangeee22)
    Finally, found my sort of people....
    Hello
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24362794

Surely this means it's going to be on at bizarre times of the day for some countries

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.