Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    awesome

anyone else tuning in at 9pm tonight for Brian Cox meeting Matt Smith for the Science of Doctor Who?
    Had I spotted this earlier, I would have been. As it is, I'm going to have to wait until it's on iplayer now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    You were right. Watched it now and almost saw the trailer at the end which I did avoid. Interesting is all I can say...
    definitely

Spoiler:
    Show
    as one of the few whovians who actually liked the film I thought it was cool to see Paul McGann as the Doctor once more

(Original post by Aula)
    Had I spotted this earlier, I would have been. As it is, I'm going to have to wait until it's on iplayer now...
    shouldn't be too long till it's on there! it's really interesting so far

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't think any of the new doctors have ever said 'I am no. 9/10/11'. Just how we the audience numbered them. Just one way to get around a small little problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    definitely

Spoiler:
    Show
    as one of the few whovians who actually liked the film I thought it was cool to see Paul McGann as the Doctor once more

Spoiler:
    Show
    I haven't ever liked the movie, but I loved McGann's portrayal of The Doctor, ever since I saw the movie I've been wanting him to do some more on-screen stuff. I actually had to pause the Minisode 20 seconds in to compose myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoghurt)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I haven't ever liked the movie, but I loved McGann's portrayal of The Doctor, ever since I saw the movie I've been wanting him to do some more on-screen stuff. I actually had to pause the Minisode 20 seconds in to compose myself
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it's not my favorite part of the canon but I think it's pretty interesting as a story within it, and I think it was entertaining enough and that McGann was good in the role so I enjoy watching it, and yeah was definitely cool to see him and have that explanation of his doctor's regeneration!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't think any of the new doctors have ever said 'I am no. 9/10/11'. Just how we the audience numbered them. Just one way to get around a small little problem.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I can't think of anyone saying it outright but there were references to Matt Smith being 11 - like wearing the number 11 shirt when playing football in The Lodger and Clara referring to chapter 11 in The Bells of Saint John. Those are just playing with the audience though rather than canon statements...

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I loved the Minisode, Paul Mcgann is one of my favourite Doctors and it was a real treat seeing him again and hia regeneration was just awesome. I'm hoping that he appears again in the 50th abd Christopher Eccleston so we can finally have all regenerations complete!!!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saleem Aslam)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I loved the Minisode, Paul Mcgann is one of my favourite Doctors and it was a real treat seeing him again and hia regeneration was just awesome. I'm hoping that he appears again in the 50th abd Christopher Eccleston so we can finally have all regenerations complete!!!!
    Spoiler:
    Show

Won't happen, Eccleston said he didn't want to come back - mind you he was also filming for the new Thor film during the filming for this so probably didn't have the time even if he wanted to. :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Won't happen, Eccleston said he didn't want to come back - mind you he was also filming for the new Thor film during the filming for this so probably didn't have the time even if he wanted to. :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That being said...

Spoiler:
    Show
    McGann said many many times he wasn't involved and that he was really disappointed that he wasn't. He trolled everyone, basically.

Now I know Ecclestone had a fall out with the show, but did he fall out with Moffat? The gloves are off and anything is possible, I reckon.
    He may have at least said they could use his likeness, so we could get some kind of CGI shot/supercut which would be good enough for me!

Would be a shame to chronicle the Time War, including McGann and Hurt, without at least showing a glimpse of Ecclestone.

My problem is this McGann thing came totally out of nowhere (I nearly choked when he first showed up before the credits) that I expect all surprises. If it's a simple Hurt-Tennant-Smith combo I'll be disappointed :rofl:

Must not let that happen. S'gon be great. Just wish it was feature length.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I never liked Paul in the film much but i loved him in the prequel.

ReputationRep:
    Sooo...

Spoiler:
    Show
    As incredibly awesome as McGann is, did anyone else find the whole chalice thing a tad cheesy? It all felt a bit on the nose and some of the dialogue was a bit unnatural.

ReputationRep:
    New clip... :teeth:

Be warned: you're all gonna love the ending. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    New clip... :teeth:

Be warned: you're all gonna love the ending. :ahee:

Spoiler:
    Show
    short but sweet, glad someone put it on YouTube, means I don't have to watch the dross that is Children in Need
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    NO! The Children in Need bit has already been removed from Youtube I had it in the background to try and watch it but still missed it - what time was it on?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    NO! The Children in Need bit has already been removed from Youtube I had it in the background to try and watch it but still missed it - what time was it on?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Earlyish - just before 8 o'clock I think.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC Youtube page still has the clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn9Ss9rZMcU
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Just watching the 'Rise of the Cyberman' and Tom MacRae really needs to do more episodes.

I'm totally in love with Paul McGann :love:

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone give me advice on which classic episodes I should get?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.