Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    No idea, but I'm not about to search the web to find out...
    The following doesn't have anything that'll spoil it for you, but might spoil things for other people...
    Spoiler:
    Show

It's never been confirmed either way. I mean yes it'll happen some day, Matt Smith will want to move on and do other things with his career, and there has been endless speculation about when that might be but it's all just speculation, so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    No idea, but I'm not about to search the web to find out...
    Afaik it's speculation and nothing more at the moment.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holmes221)
    I dunno it was a picture on facebook so I assumed it was unavoidable anyway
    Not everyone has friends on FB who post Doctor Who stuff, and I for one have Doctor Who hidden from newsfeed so things like that can't pop up. And regardless of whether it's on facebook or not, these threads on TSR should keep spoilers in spoilers.

(Original post by Feefifofum)
    The following doesn't have anything that'll spoil it for you, but might spoil things for other people...
    Spoiler:
    Show

It's never been confirmed either way. I mean yes it'll happen some day, Matt Smith will want to move on and do other things with his career, and there has been endless speculation about when that might be but it's all just speculation, so don't worry!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah it was just presented in a pretty fact-y way

(Original post by Aula)
    Afaik it's speculation and nothing more at the moment.
    Cool, it's tone was just quite "this is a fact" rather than "I wonder if X" so better safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    ONCE AGAIN

Anything about episodes not yet aired are spoilers. Please use spoiler tags. This includes press releases, photos, rumours and speculation. I'm pretty sure the mods are sick and tired of telling people to cover up this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone has friends on FB who post Doctor Who stuff, and I for one have Doctor Who hidden from newsfeed so things like that can't pop up. And regardless of whether it's on facebook or not, these threads on TSR should keep spoilers in spoilers.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah it was just presented in a pretty fact-y way

Cool, it's tone was just quite "this is a fact" rather than "I wonder if X" so better safe than sorry.
    Ok sorry didn't know it would offend you so much
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holmes221)
    Ok sorry didn't know it would offend you so much
    It doesn't offend me :facepalm: it frustrates me because it's clear that spoilers aren't allowed. Myself and some others on this thread like to go into the episode without spoilers as we find we get more enjoyment from the episode that way. Unfortunately as a mod I have to deal with putting things in spoiler tags when people haven't so I now get spoiled a lot more than before I was a mod, so I really appreciate people actually putting in the small amount of effort it takes to write spoiler tags around their stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    ONCE AGAIN

Anything about episodes not yet aired are spoilers. Please use spoiler tags. This includes press releases, photos, rumours and speculation. I'm pretty sure the mods are sick and tired of telling people to cover up this stuff.

Speculation? If even speculation based only on the episodes we have seen is classed as a spoiler, then surely there is nothing at all that we can talk about outside of spoiler tags? I understand about things like set photos or information from future episodes, but even a theory someone comes up with based on no evidence except the episodes everyone has seen? Something like "I reckon character X might turn out to be related to character Y" - is this a spoiler if it has no fact or evidence about it?

ReputationRep:
    The old system was best, everything in spoilers with titles as to what the spoilers contained. It was pretty simple and let people choose what they wanted to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberyy)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yea I heard Matt smith is leaving. I really liked him an all

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    No evidence for this at all as far as I know.

From what I've gathered, I think this is the origin of that rumour:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    He did an interview - I think with the Sun, where he was asked about the future of his role. He said something like "I'm signed up for the 50th anniversary and the christmas special, and after that we'll see what happens". Something along those lines. And from that, the Sun inferred that he was definitely leaving. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I know. This is why I thought I'd let you know :yy:

And anyone who doesn't want spoilers had better never go on this thread on the app...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Key Phone)
    Speculation? If even speculation based only on the episodes we have seen is classed as a spoiler, then surely there is nothing at all that we can talk about outside of spoiler tags? I understand about things like set photos or information from future episodes, but even a theory someone comes up with based on no evidence except the episodes everyone has seen? Something like "I reckon character X might turn out to be related to character Y" - is this a spoiler if it has no fact or evidence about it?
    Speculation based only on what has been seen is fine. But say you saw a set photo and wanted to speculate about that then it would have to be in spoiler tags. So say for example I'd seen a photo from the next episode which showed a plunger coming from off screen I might want to speculate that the daleks had returned but that would have to be in spoiler tags. But if I just wanted to speculate that I believed daleks would return again this series then then wouldn't be in spoiler tags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Key Phone)
    I'm mainly talking about speculation from other sites. Speculation with usually turns out to be true. Sites like bleedingcool and all that.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    I know. This is why I thought I'd let you know :yy:

And anyone who doesn't want spoilers had better never go on this thread on the app...

Ha ha true. This weekend before I could watch the episode I literally shut TSR and FB because if ANYONE spoiled anything for me I would have been fuming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    The old system was best, everything in spoilers with titles as to what the spoilers contained. It was pretty simple and let people choose what they wanted to read.
    We should try and go back to this. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Speculation based only on what has been seen is fine. But say you saw a set photo and wanted to speculate about that then it would have to be in spoiler tags. So say for example I'd seen a photo from the next episode which showed a plunger coming from off screen I might want to speculate that the daleks had returned but that would have to be in spoiler tags. But if I just wanted to speculate that I believed daleks would return again this series then then wouldn't be in spoiler tags.
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    I'm mainly talking about speculation from other sites. Speculation with usually turns out to be true. Sites like bleedingcool and all that.
    I see. :yep:

(Original post by Aula)
    We should try and go back to this. :moon:
    It seems like the most sensible thing to do I guess. Because if someone makes a post which contains a spoiler tag but no note or description of the nature of the potential spoiler, then it's impossible to work out what it's safe to read and what isn't.

ReputationRep:

Ha ha true. This weekend before I could watch the episode I literally shut TSR and FB because if ANYONE spoiled anything for me I would have been fuming!
    I have totally done that before. I think I even avoided friends once...
    Spoilers based on official releases, and speculation I do not mind, but I don't want to hear anything that's actually been in an episode!

ReputationRep:
    Matt smith was on Jonathan Ross last week and he said they were filming now and stuff and that he was really enjoying DW and had no plans to leave or something like that, so I think the fall of the 11th might be in the next series, I'm hoping anyway Matt Smith is the perfect doctor, although Tennant is an amazing actor, he doesn't play a madman with a box aswel as Smith

Posted from TSR Mobile

I miss the days of our ridiculous theories and almost obsessive episode analysis and speculation. :moon:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I miss the days of our ridiculous theories and almost obsessive episode analysis and speculation. :moon:
    Me too! Like River being their daughter, we were like "meh, we had much better theories than that, how very dull and predictable!"

ReputationRep:
    Me too! Like River being their daughter, we were like "meh, we had much better theories than that, how very dull and predictable!"
    I actually never guessed that until the episode before it was revealed

I want Jenny back! They can't just have her fly off in a spaceship and never be seen again!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.