Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Am I the only one who genuinely didn't like this episode AT ALL?!
    I'm with you.

ReputationRep:
    Am I in a minority when I say that it was great? :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Just one of the things that made me feel uncomfy with it. Although in End of Time it is said that 'The Doctor still possess the Moment and still intends to use it to destroy both Dalek and Time-Lord alike.' I take this to mean that actually End of Time is contemporary to the events of this episode. :dontknow:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    I Also, if Gallifrey is saved, then it somewhat puts a spanner in the plot of 'End of Time'... Does it? Maybe. I don't know. I'm tired.
    That was actually one of the few things that they didn't complicate, since the events of today's episode took place on the very last day of the Time War - presumably everything that happened in the End of Time happened earlier in the chronology of the Time War, so Gallifrey had already been sent back into the time lock by the time the three Doctors from today got there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    I loved the episode, but what happened with the timestream thing on Trenzalore? I must have missed something.

I reconcile the confusing paradoxes that might occur with the episode by thinking "time travel is weird".
    Yeah its like that never happened. Thought they were stuck there at the end of Name of the Doctor? Admittedly not the only flaw in the special, but I didn't think it is as bad as some people (:hmmm:) are making it out to be. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Am I in a minority when I say that it was great? :emo:
    Yes. I also liked the episode but I'm not surprised it's unpopular. The plot devices, the complexity, the intellectual stimulation will never be appreciated by stupid people. By definition, most people are stupid and so most people will dislike today's episode. /rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savvy Sage)
    Yes. I also liked the episode but I'm not surprised it's unpopular. The plot devices, the complexity, the intellectual stimulation will never be appreciated by stupid people. By definition, most people are stupid and so most people will dislike today's episode. /rant
    Not AT ALL.
    They completely changed what it means to be The Doctor now, the Doctor learns from his past and as such used the events of what happened to Galifray to shape the person he is today, now without the events of Galifray disappearing, it SHOULD throw the Doctor's timeline COMPLETELY out of sync!

ReputationRep:
    I think Pete Tyler would be a bit annoyed about the whole not having to die and getting to see his daughter grow up thing, but hey, Tennant Smith and Hurt in one scene! Seriously how could someone explain how that was possible.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Not AT ALL.
    They completely changed what it means to be The Doctor now, the Doctor learns from his past and as such used the events of what happened to Galifray to shape the person he is today, now without the events of Galifray disappearing, it SHOULD throw the Doctor's timeline COMPLETELY out of sync!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hurt doesn't remember the events though, so he believed he destroyed his people still

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Watch the next ep teaser.
    I already did. :yep: Didn't help with the whole Doctor dying at Trenzalore thing.

(Original post by Theflyingbarney)
    That was actually one of the few things that they didn't complicate, since the events of today's episode took place on the very last day of the Time War - presumably everything that happened in the End of Time happened earlier in the chronology of the Time War, so Gallifrey had already been sent back into the time lock by the time the three Doctors from today got there.
    Oh yes, quite right. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savvy Sage)
    I'd say it was the other way around - the plot devices and such would only be appreciated by stupid people. Clever people would be disappointed at the fact that none of the convenient get-arounds were even remotely explained or justified. Time War is time locked? Oh wait, we can get in now because a sentient bomb says so. Why doesn't the Doctor remember any of this? Oh, he conveniently forgets right back until the point before he meets himself. But if he forgets everything, how does the future incarnation of the Doctor know when and where to show up to help with the whole moving Gallifrey thing? Let's not even offer an explanation and hope people don't notice. As I said above, I liked all the pomp and circumstance but they could have made a bit more effort in making the plot coherent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hurt doesn't remember the events though, so he believed he destroyed his people still

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then why do Tennant and Smith remember?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It was good, not excellent but on a par with the Pandorica.

I thought Rose was poorly written and should have played a much more active role. John Hurt really was underwhelming (lacked the energy or anger needed) but i thought the story and interaction between 10 and 11 was great.

Also, is it just me or do people think that Doctor Who since Christmas has been back to being great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    I thought that was absolutely amazing, personally. I don't think I can even words atm. Still recovering omg.

I got more excited by seeing "silence will fall" after it - after getting the little glimpse of a Silence to prime me. Finally, dude. I've never felt that the "silence will fall" prophecy was sufficiently fulfilled by the "stars going out" in the finale. Hoping to see it get properly answered at Christmas.
    Then the Sherlock teaser! OOMMMGGG.
    When was this??? I don't think I remember that episode haha, but I assume it got answered tonight. Thought it was a but ominous when Remnant responded strongly to 'bad wolf'. Bad wolf bay ftw
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Then why do Tennant and Smith remember?
    Tennant doesn't either I don't think. Smith only does after he did it. Or at least, that's how I understood it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    When was this??? I don't think I remember that episode haha, but I assume it got answered tonight. Thought it was a but ominous when Remnant responded strongly to 'dark wolf'. Dark wolf bay ftw
    Bad Wolf*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Tennant doesn't either I don't think. Smith only does after he did it. Or at least, that's how I understood it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They put together so much BS in this episode it is unreal...

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if sherlock was the doctors companion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm just confused how the 4th Doc knew what happened.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    They put together so much BS in this episode it is unreal...
    I thought most of it followed through tbh :dontknow:

(Original post by Ben6597)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Deduction overload

(Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
    I'm just confused how the 4th Doc knew what happened.
    The whole Time stream thing, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben6597)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    IMAGINE IF IT WAS WITH 10.

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH AND DAVID TENNANT IN ONE PROGRAMME.

*dies*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.