Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    X
    (Original post by davros)
    X
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    X
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    For Colin Vengeance on Varos is very good and for Sylvestor The Curse of Fenric is very good.
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. Decided to start with the recommendations that were on Netflix UK/US then buy whatever's missing if I like what I see. Have to admit I kind of struggled with Aztecs. Curse of Fenric was pretty decent though. All this Classic Who will definitely keep me busy until Christmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I don't know about what everyone else has heard but pretty much the whole plot of the christmas special has been spoiled.I will write what I think happens from what I have heard and most of it seems to be true.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The Doctor takes Clara away from her Christmas Dinner to Trenzalore where the Doctor has to engage in a 300 year battle against all sorts of monsters like Silence,Daleks,Cybermen(wooden ones too?) and Weeping Angels plus Sontarans(he puts Clara in the Tardis to prevent her aging) to save a town called Christmas and in the battle a weeping angel causes him to lose his leg(the weeping angels turn his leg into stone) after he tries to flee to the bell tower thats sending the message across the universe that draws the doctor and his enemies to trenzalore and he basically collapses and states he is dying and because of hurt's doctor and the wasted metacrisis regeneration he is actually the last incarnation but the timelords arrive in a sky-crack(the timelords are revealed to have exploded the tardis to create the time cracks) and give him a whole new set of regenerations.He then regenerates into Peter Capaldi's doctor who dashes about due to post-regeneration crisis.What I'm intrigued about is what is this mysterious signal about?-its mentioned in the episode synopsis.
    Sounds like bs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Sounds like bs
    Utter rubbish lol

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's obvious isn't it? Gallifrey can give more regens, so that's where he's going, trenzalore is probably linked to gallifrey in one way or another.

I'm personally disappointed we haven't seen skaro yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    x
    So haven't asked, but what did you think of DW then, the anniversary special and what do you think will happen in the Christmas episode?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

Hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headli...onfirms-moffat

NO SPLIT SERIES!!!! :woo:

hell yes, no waiting for half the series anymore!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headli...onfirms-moffat

NO SPLIT SERIES!!!! :woo:

hell yes, no waiting for half the series anymore!
    That's VERY good news. Also, seems reasonably safe to say that it'll be Aug/Sept 2014 - not too long to wait! I thought that if they did one long season we might have to wait even longer for it to start...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    That's VERY good news. Also, seems reasonably safe to say that it'll be Aug/Sept 2014 - not too long to wait! I thought that if they did one long season we might have to wait even longer for it to start...
    well the BBC have consistently said Autumn 2014 for it, I'd be surprised if it's any later than September, it probably helps them that Peter Capaldi won't have as many things on his schedule as Matt Smith

ReputationRep:
    well the BBC have consistently said Autumn 2014 for it, I'd be surprised if it's any later than September, it probably helps them that Peter Capaldi won't have as many things on his schedule as Matt Smith
    Rule One - the BBC lies :p:

Actually I hadn't heard that from the BBC, just fan speculation, so I didn't realise that it was already so certain. Still pleased! And yeah, that'll definitely help at first, although if previous patterns are anything to go by (well, Tennant and Smith), then Capaldi will get more and more job offers as time goes on. Moffatt doing both Who and Sherlock will still cause delays, but we can't have everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Rule One - the BBC lies :p:

Actually I hadn't heard that from the BBC, just fan speculation, so I didn't realise that it was already so certain. Still pleased! And yeah, that'll definitely help at first, although if previous patterns are anything to go by (well, Tennant and Smith), then Capaldi will get more and more job offers as time goes on. Moffatt doing both Who and Sherlock will still cause delays, but we can't have everything
    true, but I hope for once they aren't!

I've read it in a lot of places so I would be surprised if there's not something to it! pretty sure they mentioned it on the 50th stuff as well. maybe, though he's older than Smith/Tennant and done a lot more in his career so hopefully he will be able to be more focused on the role! aye, though with Sherlock airing in January you would think that Doctor Who wouldn't be any later than the Autumn, specially if they are filming soon.

ReputationRep:
    I had a terrible nightmare a few days ago that I was sitting down and watching Doctor Who...

The American Version.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    I had a terrible nightmare a few days ago that I was sitting down and watching Doctor Who...

The American Version.

Spoiler:
    Show

you might want to spoiler that in case the BBC's marketing department are watching! don't want to give them ideas!

ReputationRep:
    The scary part is it is not unlikely with us versions of everything big in the uk. First they steal Sherlock god knows what they have up thier sleeves next

ReputationRep:
    My Day of the Doctor DVD turned up the other day, I have in the last 2 months got to dress up as the 11th doctor twice and come the new year I will be the proud owner of a vortex manipulator watch. Life is good, life is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaplonker)
    The scary part is it is not unlikely with us versions of everything big in the uk. First they steal Sherlock god knows what they have up thier sleeves next
    They didn't steal Sherlock. Maybe with Sherlock being a bit hit, it inspired the Americans to make their own adaption, but it isn't a copy. The Sherlock in Elementary is a crap load different than our Sherlock. Irene Adler was different (as she was an invention of Moriarty for some reasons) and so is Mycroft. It's a good show in it's own right, but it isn't at all as good as Sherlock.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of hoping that this is what AGMGTW was supposed to be (but ended up being an anticlimax of sorts because the Doctor didn't really go to war and there wasn't any battling), hopefully with the big four (even if the Weeping Angels are becoming a bit tiresome with the amount of appearances made since Moffat took over) there'll be some good action in it and a good story as well. I also look forward to Capaldi.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I wasn't sure on that bit either, was just nice to read an article that wasn't just the usual "we hate Moffat" stuff, I know the show is far from perfect, but I do think people obsess over little things sometimes, all TV shows have flaws, most of them far more so than Doctor Who, I just want to enjoy the episodes sometimes without the entire internet exploding afterwards because of one 30 second dialog that they didn't think made sense. (not saying everyone does that, but some people seem to never be happy with the shows writers)
    I agree. Especially on websites like tumblr where people just have to pick a part and criticize every little detail to a stupid degree. just watch the ****ing show

ReputationRep:
    Not long to go till the Christmas special now! Seems about time they uploaded a prequel...

Can't wait to see what Capaldi's Doctor is like, I hope he gets a bit of screen time, not just a 'hello it's me' at the end of the episode. I'm also wondering if he'll be sporting a beard...

Capaldi's face was hidden in the first promotional poster for time of the doctor, its kinda hard to tell but he might be sporting a moustache in it. (Pictures in spoiler)
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    By far my favourite show. I know on technicalities people will say that Breaking Bad or The Wire is better, and I would agree. They are amazing shows. It is my favourite show not because it is the most visually pleasing or has the best plot lines, but because it invokes nostalgia in me and it offers something no other show offers. You can get lost in the Doctor Who universe. It is also amazing how the shows plays around with history and even changes events in our pasts (such as Elizabeth I being the virgin queen). The fact that it has lasted 50 seasons is a testament to how good the show is. Here is hoping for 50 more seasons and a great Christmas special this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UsamaS)
    By far my favourite show. I know on technicalities people will say that Breaking Bad or The Wire is better, and I would agree. They are amazing shows. It is my favourite show not because it is the most visually pleasing or has the best plot lines, but because it invokes nostalgia in me and it offers something no other show offers. You can get lost in the Doctor Who universe. It is also amazing how the shows plays around with history and even changes events in our pasts (such as Elizabeth I being the virgin queen). The fact that it has lasted 50 seasons is a testament to how good the show is. Here is hoping for 50 more seasons and a great Christmas special this year.
    It actually has lasted 33 seasons with a lot of specials and a TV movie haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.