Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

So yes, to sum up my earlier post as I've calmed down a bit now, I really enjoyed that. I couldn't tell you what exactly happened (my brain and Moffat don't really go together) but I enjoyed it all the same.

And I actually really liked Clara in this one! Can someone just give me her wardrobe, pleeeeassee? :flutter:

And Amy's hair looked hilarious!!! It was such an obvious wig :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Guys when he

Spoiler:
    Show
    used the regeneration energy to kill the daleks, wasn't that the start of his regeneration? The face-change was super fast but the regeneration itself lasted a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    That was pretty good - nice that they didn't just bring the time lords straight back through: I spy a season 8 story arc a coming, and I reckon that'd be much more interesting with all the clues laid down than essentially sending them away and bringing them back in the course of two episodes...
    i agree. And i've only roughly seen 30 seconds of Capaldi in action and i already love him!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marinajelly)
    So wait wait a second, have they solved the issue of 12 regenerations? Or is this still gonna be the last?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He said a brand new cycle of regenerations, so I'd guess at another 12 doctors after Capaldi. The show is far too popular for them to stop it when Capaldi calls it quits, especially after having to fiddle the canon to get Capaldi in.

(Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Gallifrey (the time lord council probably) gave him a new regeneration cycle. So 11 left now counting Matt>Capaldi.
    I liked this A nice way to solve the regeneration thing. I really didn't want the Doctor to have infinite regenerations.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god they answered all the queries I had before the episode (in fact the very ones I mentioned in my post a couple of hours ago). I absolutely loved the episode until the half way mark when they began throwing in Christmas sentiments (I know it's a christmas special but I much prefer the lore of Doctor Who). I didn't really enjoy the aging of the Doctor, the way the Eleventh went out felt infinitely inferior to the way the Tenth went out. Yes I know he destroyed an entire Dalek fleet with his regeneration but I don't think it's very satisfying when a little gimmick happens within a few seconds so the entire first hour of the episode seems almost redundant.

In short, last half an hour kind of ruined the episode for me, but still happy with Capaldi and the loose ties (who would've thought the Silents from series 6 were actually renegade priests!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    So yes, to sum up my earlier post as I've calmed down a bit now, I really enjoyed that. I couldn't tell you what exactly happened (my brain and Moffat don't really go together) but I enjoyed it all the same.

And I actually really liked Clara in this one! Can someone just give me her wardrobe, pleeeeassee? :flutter:

And Amy's hair looked hilarious!!! It was such an obvious wig :rofl:
    Both the wigs were a little obvious, but I did not expect Amelia to be back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    He said a brand new cycle of regenerations, so I'd guess at another 12 doctors after Capaldi. The show is far too popular for them to stop it when Capaldi calls it quits, especially after having to fiddle the canon to get Capaldi in.
    I missed this. When did he say that?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Classic Moffat, no one died! Smith could have at least taken a shot to the chest before regenerating. It was nearly pretty good but that stupid speech at the end was just overkill, I hate when they do that. It should be spontaneous and sudden - just like the actual regeneration. Capaldi should have emerged from the flames.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10 and I'm really excited for number 12!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I liked this A nice way to solve the regeneration thing. I really didn't want the Doctor to have infinite regenerations.
    I didn't really dig it. If he couldn't regenerate any more, how the heck did he start to regenerate in The Impossible Astronaut? Episode was pretty awesome for 30/40 minutes but then Dalek stalks came out of foreheads, Tasha Lem started narrating randomly, and asdhjsudfhsd stuff happened that I cant get my head around.

Sad to see Matt go, with better writing he really could have achieved much more. Happy with Capaldi though, pretty funny entrance and all.

(Original post by SyedaK)
    Both the wigs were a little obvious, but I did not expect Amelia to be back!
    Honestly, I thought Matt's wig looked fine. I only remembered half way through that it was a wig!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    I missed this. When did he say that?
    When he came back as young matt and clara pointed out the lack of a face change, he said it'd had started, that was just the reset for a whole new regeneration cycle.

(Original post by Mr.Messy)
    I didn't really dig it. If he couldn't regenerate any more, how the heck did he start to regenerate in The Impossible Astronaut? Episode was pretty awesome for 30/40 minutes but then Dalek stalks came out of foreheads, Tasha Lem started narrating randomly, and asdhjsudfhsd stuff happened that I cant get my head around.

Sad to see Matt go, with better writing he really could have achieved much more. Happy with Capaldi though, pretty funny entrance and all.
    Oh yeah ... good point

ReputationRep:
    Are we to assume that there are infinite daleks across the universe, even though they were destroyed on Skaro?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have mixed feelings about that episode. In general, the Christmas specials are beyond ****, and this wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't amazing either. I'll have to give it a rewatch a year or so down the line I reckon.

I'd have liked a bit more to the regeneration though. I can't help but feel that I don't have a sense of closure for Matt's Doctor.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Really loved it!

Cried though, I'm such a wimp

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am severely disappointed we didn't get to see flames.

Look how cool a regeneration this was.

Matt>Capaldi happened to quick to process. It was beginning to get emosh and then BAM, enter Capaldi and the scene is broken. :shakecane:

(Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Classic Moffat, no one died! Smith could have at least taken a shot to the chest before regenerating. It was nearly pretty good but that stupid speech at the end was just overkill, I hate when they do that. It should be spontaneous and sudden - just like the actual regeneration. Capaldi should have emerged from the flames.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10 and I'm really excited for number 12!
    Capaldi emerging from the flames would have been epic. They should have done that. The face change was a bit sudden and a bit 'oh'.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    7/10 for me, best episode of 2012 and 2013 remains 'Nightmare in Silver'.

Could have been more active at times but the Amelia stuff in the Tardis was great.

(Original post by Lucy96)
    Really loved it!

Cried though, I'm such a wimp

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I cried too

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.