Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I really don't think this season was bad when compared to series 6. The second half actually had the Snowmen and Nightmare in Silver in addition to a lot of average and only 1 bad episode.

Series 1, 2 and 4 were in a different league but the second half of series 7 was probably a little better than series 3 and 5 which were poor bar spectacular multi-parters (the master, Byzantium and pandorica). Series 6 should be erased from my mind.
    :eek: How dare you! Blink is one of my favourite episodes! Along with Human Nature!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I really don't think this season was bad when compared to series 6. The second half actually had the Snowmen and Nightmare in Silver in addition to a lot of average and only 1 bad episode.

Series 1, 2 and 4 were in a different league but the second half of series 7 was probably a little better than series 3 and 5 which were poor bar spectacular multi-parters (the master, Byzantium and pandorica). Series 6 should be erased from my mind.
    Series 5 was the best series and Nightmare in Silver is awful turning the Cybermen into the Borg and having an awful ending where they just blow up the whole planet.If you count the latest two episodes then this series hasn't been too bad because the 50th and the Christmas Special are arguably the best 2 episodes of Doctor Who ever produced.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Series 5 was the best series and Nightmare in Silver is awful turning the Cybermen into the Borg and having an awful ending where they just blow up the whole planet.If you count the latest two episodes then this series hasn't been too bad because the 50th and the Christmas Special are arguably the best 2 episodes of Doctor Who ever produced.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said there apart from about the Xmas special, which I thought was average. But yes, Series 5 was amazing, and is almost perfect except for about three stories, and even then they were only average rather than being explicitly bad, which is pretty good going. I could watch series 5 on end, unfortunately it seems to have gone forgotten in quite a lot of Dr Who circles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    I agree with pretty much everything you said there apart from about the Xmas special, which I thought was average. But yes, Series 5 was amazing, and is almost perfect except for about three stories, and even then they were only average rather than being explicitly bad, which is pretty good going. I could watch series 5 on end, unfortunately it seems to have gone forgotten in quite a lot of Dr Who circles.
    I have ranked all of Matt Smiths stories into order:
    1.The Day of the Doctor(Super Excellent)
    2.The Time of the Doctor(Super Excellent)
    3.The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang(Super Excellent)
    4.Vincent and the Doctor(Excellent)
    5.Amy's Choice(Excellent)
    6.The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone(Excellent)
    7.The Snowmen(Excellent)
    8.The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People(Excellent)
    9.A Good Man Goes to War(Excellent)
    10.A Girl Who Waited(Excellent)
    11.Victory of the Daleks(Excellent)
    12.The Angels take Manhattan(Excellent)
    13.The Wedding of River Song(Good)
    14.Journey to the Centre of the Tardis(Good)
    15.The Doctor's Wife(Good)
    16.The Hungry Earth(Bad)/Cold Blood(Excellent)
    17.The Impossible Astronaut(Ok)/Day of the Moon(Excellent)
    18.The Eleventh Hour(Good)
    19.Hide(Good)
    20.The Bells of Saint John(Good)
    21.The Vampires of Venice(Good)
    22.The Name of the Doctor(Good)
    23.The Crimson Horror(Good)
    24.Cold War(Good)
    25.The Power of Three(Good)
    26.Dinosaurs on a Spaceship(Ok)
    27.A Christmas Carol(Ok)
    28.A Town Called Mercy(Ok)
    29.Let's Kill Hitler(Ok)
    30.Closing Time(Ok)
    31.The Rings of Akaten(Ok)
    32.The God Complex(Ok)
    33.The Lodger(Ok)
    34.The Beast Below(Bad)
    35.Night Terrors(Bad)
    36.The Curse of the Black Spot(Bad)
    37.Nightmare in Silver(Bad)
    38.The Doctor,the Widow and the Wardrobe(Bad)
    39.Asylum of the Daleks(Bad)

ReputationRep:
    7.The Snowmen(Excellent)
    19.Hide(Good)
    24.Cold War(Good)
    27.A Christmas Carol(Ok)
    29.Let's Kill Hitler(Ok)
    30.Closing Time(Ok)
    32.The God Complex(Ok)
    33.The Lodger(Ok)
    34.The Beast Below(Bad)
    35.Night Terrors(Bad)
    I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam)
    There have been moments that have made me cringe. I don't know about anyone else, but Amy Pond's cameo at the end of "The Time of the Doctor" made me cringe.

Amywho, are there any villains from the books/radio dramas/comics who you think should make an onscreen appearance at some point?
    If I'm honest, I haven't really read/listened to Doctor Who stuff for a few years, so I'm not really caught up on it.

I remember a story which was probably a quick read "The Krillitane Storm" or something, and it featured Krillitanes with a different body than in "School Reunion". It'd be really good I think if they featured in a new episode with a completely different body (or constituent body parts). I think with their weakness being their own oil, it'd be pretty easier to defeat them in the episode, so maybe as just the kind of henchmen of the head villain.

ReputationRep:
    Me too. I loved Series 5.

Personally

Series 2/3/4 (equal) > Series 5 > Series 1 > Series 6 > Series 7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chernid)
    I disagree.
    You can't just say disagree explain yourself I don't even know what ones you disagree with.

ReputationRep:
    You can't just say disagree explain yourself I don't even know what ones you disagree with.
    I'm a James Corden fan so personally the Lodger and Closing Time were favourites of mine. I enjoyed the Doctor leading an "ordinary life". I found it quite comical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam)
    There have been moments that have made me cringe. I don't know about anyone else, but Amy Pond's cameo at the end of "The Time of the Doctor" made me cringe.
    Agreed. It was absolutely awful. Mind you, I cringe every time the Doctor kisses someone (as I firmly believe he shouldn't kiss anyone), so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muonz)
    I'm a James Corden fan so personally the Lodger and Closing Time were favourites of mine. I enjoyed the Doctor leading an "ordinary life". I found it quite comical.
    I found it rather boring and both episodes had a lot of rubbish in it and the enemies didn't play a big enough part of the story and the episodes were more about Craig and The Doctors relationship and I'm not particularly fond of their relationship not enough to build episodes around it.What else do you disagree with?

ReputationRep:
    Cold War I think is better than you're saying it is. Also I enjoyed the God Complex (although I admit could have been executed better). The rest I pretty much agree with (with small variations). Although the 50th anniversary was incredibly mediocre for me, as was this years' christmas special.

ReputationRep:
    Changing the subject slightly, did anyone see Jenna Coleman in 'Death in Pemberley' over the hols? She played the Lydia character in this PD James-written, Austen-inspired postquel. She was really good, it was strange seeing her in a new role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Agreed. It was absolutely awful. Mind you, I cringe every time the Doctor kisses someone (as I firmly believe he shouldn't kiss anyone), so...
    It was lovely to see that the 11th Doctor still cared so much for Amy even though She is dead and He hasn't seen her in about 1000 years because of all the Christmas Town stuff.Amy is much better than Clara and much prettier which is important.I believe that every show needs to reflect the modern era of humanity that has a huge basis in sex and romance- boys want to see The Doctor in love with an attractive girl and vice versa for girls.I wanted 11 to go with Amy not River Song because She is ugly like 10 went with Rose, their relationship is what got me into the program in the first place.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    7.The Snowmen(Excellent)
    19.Hide(Good)
    24.Cold War(Good)
    27.A Christmas Carol(Ok)
    29.Let's Kill Hitler(Ok)
    30.Closing Time(Ok)
    32.The God Complex(Ok)
    33.The Lodger(Ok)
    34.The Beast Below(Bad)
    35.Night Terrors(Bad)
    I'd love to do a ranking myself but it's proving too difficult/ time consuming I definitely agree with putting The Day of the Doctor at the top, I was so happy after watching that, I was inspired, it was such a weird feeling, but it was truly fantastic. After that my favourite would have to be the Angels two-parter, then the Pandorica two-parter, then Amy's Choice, then Vincent and The Doctor... after that it becomes a little bit more difficult to rank. But The Eleventh Hour, Name of the Doctor, the Utah two-parter and The Angels Take Manhattan would be very much near the top. I'd say the worst one for me would have to be The Doctor,the Widow and the Wardrobe, and all of the other Christmas specials would probably be close by too. Closing Time was the worst non-Xmas episode for me, which is odd because I really loved The Lodger.

How can you put Asylum at the bottom though? I haven't seen it first aired, but I thought it was amazing at the time, I really loved it. In fact it's my favourite Dalek episode.

ReputationRep:
    It was lovely to see that the 11th Doctor still cared so much for Amy even though She is dead and He hasn't seen her in about 1000 years because of all the Christmas Town stuff.Amy is much better than Clara and much prettier which is important.I believe that every show needs to reflect the modern era of humanity that has a huge basis in sex and romance- boys want to see The Doctor in love with an attractive girl and vice versa for girls.I wanted 11 to go with Amy not River Song because She is ugly like 10 went with Rose, their relationship is what got me into the program in the first place.
    BIB - disagree. Amy is quite pretty but Clara is absolutely beautiful.

Maybe it's because I'm old-fashioned because I grew up watching Classic Who but I believe the Doctor should be above these silly romantic kisses and things - he's an alien, a man of science and logic, not some kind of Casanova that picks up human women! It really puts me off the show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    BIB - disagree. Amy is quite pretty but Clara is absolutely beautiful.

Maybe it's because I'm old-fashioned because I grew up watching Classic Who but I believe the Doctor should be above these silly romantic kisses and things - he's an alien, a man of science and logic, not some kind of Casanova that picks up human women! It really puts me off the show.
    I think Jenna is only about average maybe slightly above average and Karen is hot but I don't quite think She is super hot-Rose was probably the best but She was inconsistent with her blonde hair not being as strong in some episodes as others.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do a ranking myself but it's proving too difficult/ time consuming I definitely agree with putting The Day of the Doctor at the top, I was so happy after watching that, I was inspired, it was such a weird feeling, but it was truly fantastic. After that my favourite would have to be the Angels two-parter, then the Pandorica two-parter, then Amy's Choice, then Vincent and The Doctor... after that it becomes a little bit more difficult to rank. But The Eleventh Hour, Name of the Doctor, the Utah two-parter and The Angels Take Manhattan would be very much near the top. I'd say the worst one for me would have to be The Doctor,the Widow and the Wardrobe, and all of the other Christmas specials would probably be close by too. Closing Time was the worst non-Xmas episode for me, which is odd because I really loved The Lodger.

How can you put Asylum at the bottom though? I haven't seen it first aired, but I thought it was amazing at the time, I really loved it. In fact it's my favourite Dalek episode.
    The episode was so boring and stupid with Moffat completely misunderstanding the Daleks-those ones in the Asylum were more sane than the ones in the Dalek Ships because they actually seemed bothered to kill the Doctor where as those on the Ships were afraid of these insane Daleks and the whole episode had the Daleks easily hacked into by Oswin Oswald and had dead corpses revived as silly puppets-the puppet effect worked a lot better in Time because it wasn't some silly virus just that the Daleks had took over and then made them into puppets and the episode didn't have enough Dalek action and as I think I sort of hinted earlier I thought the Daleks didn't act like the Daleks the discussions they had with the Doctor were silly and undalek like not like those in good Dalek stories like Victory and Time where they say Doctor in a deep tone and tell him what terrible plans they have and whats going to happen.The episode also made the Daleks forget the Doctor(luckily they remember now) and the Daleks were never that bothered with who someone is they just shoot on site.Got to be the worst Dalek story ever it is such a shame that Moffat ruined both the Daleks and the Cybermen in the abysmal episodes Asylum and Nightmare luckily Moffat has proved it was just a bad episode and He can write good episodes for the Daleks like Time.

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed Time of the Doctor - Matt put in a tour de force performance and Jenna Coleman really is improving with every episode. I loved the whole several series Silence arc so I'm glad it tied up loose ends and I liked the way it linked in with the 50th. It was pleasing as well that they reset Eleven to his normal self at the end so he could get a proper send off without the prosthetics. I can see why some people wouldn't have enjoyed TotD though and it does seem a divisive episode.

Eleven is, without doubt, my favourite Doctor but I look forward to Capaldi.

Favourite Eleven episode? The Eleventh Hour, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, The Doctor's Wife or Day of the Doctor. It's too hard to choose just one.

Least favourite? The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe.

ReputationRep:

It's not odd that you didn't like "Closing Time", it means that you're sane. As with most recent DW episodes, the day was saved with bloody emotions. And the fact that it was the Cybermen who were defeated with love in a tiny way makes sense because of their lack of emotions, but it was just a terrible terrible episode.

Also, I rewatched "A Christmas Carol" and I actually found it to be a fantastic episode. I can see what Moffat said though about the Tennant Christmas specials not really being Christmassy, and just kind of taking place at Christmas. I'm currently at the moment watching "The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe", and it's not as bad as I remember as well. It's quite nice that there's an episode with no actual villain (apart from acid rain stuff).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.