Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tennant.. He's a brilliant actor though and the scene needed him.

ReputationRep:
    Tennant's an excellent actor, no doubt. I just really disliked his swan song. It's bad writing, the acting was great.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked Tennants regeneration (aside from that it meant Tennant was done), but good doctors have been done over by awful scripts - case it point, Paul McGann

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subat)
    Plot holes?

What did you think of the day of the doctor? I thought it would have been perfect if it wasn't for the ridiculous Queen Elizabeth sub plot.
    I can't remember off top of my head, but things like "how did Clara manage to travel on outside of TARDIS without dying?"

Disliked Day of the Doctor as well...sadly DW has gone from being one of my fav shows to a show I watch in the hopes that something good happens, then being disappointed.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I can't remember off top of my head, but things like "how did Clara manage to travel on outside of TARDIS without dying?"

Disliked Day of the Doctor as well...sadly DW has gone from being one of my fav shows to a show I watch in the hopes that something good happens, then being disappointed.
    I don't think Clara did in time of the doctor - I know she used the vortex manipulator in day, but the time agents jack mentioned in series one dis that all the time and they were presumably not immortal.

I think the biggest gripe with time was the resolution to needing more regenerations - that despite having found the right universe and having an army the size of a planet, the time lords didn't come through and just gifted him some more regenerations. It generally felt like a shoddily written resolution to a 3 series plot arc in the cracks in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    I don't think Clara did in time of the doctor - I know she used the vortex manipulator in day, but the time agents jack mentioned in series one dis that all the time and they were presumably not immortal.

I think the biggest gripe with time was the resolution to needing more regenerations - that despite having found the right universe and having an army the size of a planet, the time lords didn't come through and just gifted him some more regenerations. It generally felt like a shoddily written resolution to a 3 series plot arc in the cracks in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I swear she did, but maybe memory is wrong...only watched it once.

Yes that was very poor, but would have been no good way to go about it I guess
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I swear she did, but maybe memory is wrong...only watched it once.

Yes that was very poor, but would have been no good way to go about it I guess
    True, they wrote themselves into a corner with the stuff about trenzalore - although time pretty much negates what happens in name, since he no longer dies at trenzalore

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    True, they wrote themselves into a corner with the stuff about trenzalore - although time pretty much negates what happens in name, since he no longer dies at trenzalore

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is why Moffat should not be chief writer

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a few people say this so I want to know if people know it is true. If it is it is a serious spoiler so only read if you are ok with possible (hopefully not true) spoilers.

Spoiler:
    Show

People have said they have read the final script (is there a place to find the series 8 finale script, I don't want to see it but I want to know if it is leaked like the first 5) and they have said that Peter Capaldi regenerates and is leaving...is this true? I know there has been some speculation but I basically want to know if there is an episode 12 script where it says he is regenerating or is it just rubbish...if it is true some proof would be nice.

Really hoping it is not true and Capaldi is shaping up to be an amazing doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Just saw the half time trailer...

Spoiler:
    Show
    I really really really hope there isn't a focus on the silly Clara/Doctor identity crisis nonsense nobody cares about.

I want old-school Doctor - goes on adventures, is witty and fun, with no unnecessary angst/nonsensical quirkiness/ridiculous love story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Just saw the half time trailer...

Spoiler:
    Show
    I really really really hope there isn't a focus on the silly Clara/Doctor identity crisis nonsense nobody cares about.

I want old-school Doctor - goes on adventures, is witty and fun, with no unnecessary angst/nonsensical quirkiness/ridiculous love story
    I agree, but it's Moffat remember!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The timelords would have probably realised that the Daleks and all the other species had sent an army the size of a planet too its was far too dangerous for them to enter through the crack/(they didn't know for certain it was the right universe) but they could give the Doctor the regenerations they needed and I don't think you can just give regenerations to a human so I don't think there was anything to lose with the Timelords not giving the Doctor the regenerations but it would have been far too risky to come through the crack.I think we need to understand how wise the Timelords are and the risks involved.i thought it was a very well written finale up there with Day as probably the 2 best Doctor Who episodes of all time but Day was probably slightly better so much better than the very disappointing 7th season(both parts).

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Just wanted to put this out there! Myself and a friend at the University of Birmingham have recently created DocSoc (Doctor Who Society) if anyone on this thread is a student at UOB or has friends who like Doctor Who who might be interested please send them our way!

:woohoo:

ReputationRep:

Same. In the earlier series there were episodes I enjoyed which I would go back and watch again. Some of them I still would (Family of Blood/Human Nature; Blink; Midnight too name a few) but in the last couple of series the only one I really enjoyed was Rebel Flesh/Almost People and the Doctor's Wife. Series 7 was abysmal. I hope it will get better but won't get my hopes up for fear of yet another disappointment.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Same. In the earlier series there were episodes I enjoyed which I would go back and watch again. Some of them I still would (Family of Blood/Human Nature; Blink; Midnight too name a few) but in the last couple of series the only one I really enjoyed was Rebel Flesh/Almost People and the Doctor's Wife. Series 7 was abysmal. I hope it will get better but won't get my hopes up for fear of yet another disappointment.
    :console: we will survive

ReputationRep:
    I remember people thinking that Capaldi's casting meaning a more "serious" doctor. After hearing some of the plot details of Robots of Sherwood it sounds like it's just going to be more CBBC-style crap that we have gotten since Moffat took over.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope that he is a serious, even grumpy doctor! Moffat can write well but he sometimes goes too fairytale. Blink was such a good episode but sadly there haven't been that many since. Maybe the moon landing two parter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    I remember people thinking that Capaldi's casting meaning a more "serious" doctor. After hearing some of the plot details of Robots of Sherwood it sounds like it's just going to be more CBBC-style crap that we have gotten since Moffat took over.
    From the first 5 episodes I do personally think Robots of Sherwood is going to be a poor episode (with the other 4 look superb). There are always poor episodes and that one just appears to be one of them.

The other 4 I know about actually have some very serious ideas in them and definitely don't look CBBCish I hope :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    From the first 5 episodes I do personally think Robots of Sherwood is going to be a poor episode (with the other 4 look superb). There are always poor episodes and that one just appears to be one of them.

The other 4 I know about actually have some very serious ideas in them and definitely don't look CBBCish I hope :P
    Time Heist and Listen look like they could be killer episodes! Definitely looking forward to those!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeywimey)
    Time Heist and Listen look like they could be killer episodes! Definitely looking forward to those!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely. When I read time heist I went through the whole script not really knowing what was going on and then right at the end when it all clicked into place it was just "that is so good".

Spoiler:
    Show
    I felt that both Listen and Time heist have a feel of hide about them (one of the good episodes of season 7). The whole fear side of hide definitely comes through on listen and the ending of time heist made me think of the ending of hide.

The first two episodes also look like they will be good. Into the Dalek looks like it could be amazing but I am interested to see the execution of that one to see if it actually is as good on tv as the script is.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.