The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinkpenguin
Just saw the half time trailer...

Spoiler

I agree, but it's Moffat remember!
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I don't think Clara did in time of the doctor - I know she used the vortex manipulator in day, but the time agents jack mentioned in series one dis that all the time and they were presumably not immortal.

I think the biggest gripe with time was the resolution to needing more regenerations - that despite having found the right universe and having an army the size of a planet, the time lords didn't come through and just gifted him some more regenerations. It generally felt like a shoddily written resolution to a 3 series plot arc in the cracks in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The timelords would have probably realised that the Daleks and all the other species had sent an army the size of a planet too its was far too dangerous for them to enter through the crack/(they didn't know for certain it was the right universe) but they could give the Doctor the regenerations they needed and I don't think you can just give regenerations to a human so I don't think there was anything to lose with the Timelords not giving the Doctor the regenerations but it would have been far too risky to come through the crack.I think we need to understand how wise the Timelords are and the risks involved.i thought it was a very well written finale up there with Day as probably the 2 best Doctor Who episodes of all time but Day was probably slightly better so much better than the very disappointing 7th season(both parts).
Hey :smile:

Just wanted to put this out there! Myself and a friend at the University of Birmingham have recently created DocSoc (Doctor Who Society) if anyone on this thread is a student at UOB or has friends who like Doctor Who who might be interested please send them our way!

:woohoo:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I can't remember off top of my head, but things like "how did Clara manage to travel on outside of TARDIS without dying?"

Disliked Day of the Doctor as well...sadly DW has gone from being one of my fav shows to a show I watch in the hopes that something good happens, then being disappointed.

Same. In the earlier series there were episodes I enjoyed which I would go back and watch again. Some of them I still would (Family of Blood/Human Nature; Blink; Midnight too name a few) but in the last couple of series the only one I really enjoyed was Rebel Flesh/Almost People and the Doctor's Wife. Series 7 was abysmal. I hope it will get better but won't get my hopes up for fear of yet another disappointment.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Same. In the earlier series there were episodes I enjoyed which I would go back and watch again. Some of them I still would (Family of Blood/Human Nature; Blink; Midnight too name a few) but in the last couple of series the only one I really enjoyed was Rebel Flesh/Almost People and the Doctor's Wife. Series 7 was abysmal. I hope it will get better but won't get my hopes up for fear of yet another disappointment.

:console: we will survive
I remember people thinking that Capaldi's casting meaning a more "serious" doctor. After hearing some of the plot details of Robots of Sherwood it sounds like it's just going to be more CBBC-style crap that we have gotten since Moffat took over.
I really hope that he is a serious, even grumpy doctor! Moffat can write well but he sometimes goes too fairytale. Blink was such a good episode but sadly there haven't been that many since. Maybe the moon landing two parter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
I remember people thinking that Capaldi's casting meaning a more "serious" doctor. After hearing some of the plot details of Robots of Sherwood it sounds like it's just going to be more CBBC-style crap that we have gotten since Moffat took over.

From the first 5 episodes I do personally think Robots of Sherwood is going to be a poor episode (with the other 4 look superb). There are always poor episodes and that one just appears to be one of them.

The other 4 I know about actually have some very serious ideas in them and definitely don't look CBBCish :smile: I hope :P
Original post by Munrot07
From the first 5 episodes I do personally think Robots of Sherwood is going to be a poor episode (with the other 4 look superb). There are always poor episodes and that one just appears to be one of them.

The other 4 I know about actually have some very serious ideas in them and definitely don't look CBBCish :smile: I hope :P

Time Heist and Listen look like they could be killer episodes! Definitely looking forward to those!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by timeywimey
Time Heist and Listen look like they could be killer episodes! Definitely looking forward to those!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely. When I read time heist I went through the whole script not really knowing what was going on and then right at the end when it all clicked into place it was just "that is so good".

Spoiler

The first two episodes also look like they will be good. Into the Dalek looks like it could be amazing but I am interested to see the execution of that one to see if it actually is as good on tv as the script is.
Definitely. When I read time heist I went through the whole script not really knowing what was going on and then right at the end when it all clicked into place it was just "that is so good".

Spoiler

The first two episodes also look like they will be good. Into the Dalek looks like it could be amazing but I am interested to see the execution of that one to see if it actually is as good on tv as the script is.

I did the same! I read the script for time heist very briefly, but not right to the end because spoilers :smile:

Spoiler

I really hope they don't overdo into the dalek- done just right and it could be a fantastic episode. One of the most original scripts by far!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I did the same! I read the script for time heist very briefly, but not right to the end because spoilers :smile:

Spoiler

I really hope they don't overdo into the dalek- done just right and it could be a fantastic episode. One of the most original scripts by far!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am just really hoping that the rest of the series lives up to the first 5 (excluding episode 3 :P ) episode :smile: Would end up being easily one of the best series post 2005.
I am just really hoping that the rest of the series lives up to the first 5 (excluding episode 3 :P ) episode :smile: Would end up being easily one of the best series post 2005.

Absolutely! Last series was pretty bad, and from what I've read, Capaldi's doctor sounds like a

Spoiler

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loved the joke about English and Scottish accents in the leaked episode.
So who is pumped for series 8?
Reply 3275
Original post by iscribbletoomuch
So who is pumped for series 8?

Looks like it is going to be Moffat's best series so far - especially with episode 4 (Listen). But, that won't stop people trying to criticise him.
On a side note, which episodes do people like from the Tennant/Eccleston era? Turn Left is one of my all time favs.
Reply 3277
On a side note, which episodes do people like from the Tennant/Eccleston era? Turn Left is one of my all time favs.

For some reason, and still to this day I don't know why, but I wasn't a big fan of the 9th Doctor. For me, he made me cringe at time by the way he acted. Still a good Doctor, though. My favorite episode of series 1 was "The Empty Child" & "The Doctor Dances".

Most people say The Doctor you first grow up with will probably be 'your' Doctor, which is correct with me. because Tennant is 'my' Doctor. I probably would say my favorite episode was "The Water of Mars" and "Human Nature".

If I had to pick my favorite episode of Doctor Who so far, that would be "Vincent and the Doctor". I didn't care about the monster, but the story of Van Gogh was fabulous. I never knew what he went through until I watched this episode. It made me look at him in a completely different way than I did in the past. Really want more episodes like that.
(edited 9 years ago)

Ahaaa 'Turn Left' was awesome :biggrin:
Urrrm 'Family of Blood', 'Utopia', 'Sound of the Drums', ooh and 'Blink'
Original post by TomLL
For some reason, and still to this day I don't know why, but I wasn't a big fan of the 9th Doctor. For me, he made me cringe at time by the way he acted. Still a good Doctor, though. My favorite episode of series 1 was "The Empty Child" & "The Doctor Dances".

Most people say The Doctor you first grow up with will probably be 'your' Doctor, which is correct with me. because Tennant is 'my' Doctor. I probably would say my favorite episode was "The Water of Mars".

If I had to pick my favorite episode of Doctor Who so far, that would be "Vincent and the Doctor". I didn't care about the monster, but the story of Van Gogh was fabulous. I never knew what he went through until I watched this episode. It made me look at him in a completely different way than I did in the past. Really want more episodes like that.

I started watching doctor who really late- jan 13, I think "my" doctor has to be tennant, but 11 had some pretty good episodes too. Impossible astronaut/day of the moon, time of angels, and Vincent and the doctor are up there!

Quick Reply

Latest