Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    It's on in cinema?

But no, I can watch it on TV just fine. Silently optimistic.
    Yeah - well they're showing it at the Odeon near where I live. I believe they're showing it in selected cinemas.
    Can't wait to see what Capaldi is going to be like as the Doctor

ReputationRep:
    There's a couple of cinemas near here doing it too! I'm watching it at home though - with friends who will also be quiet for the duration of the show :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubble999)
    I haven't had chance to - it's not been repeated and I can't watch online due to having a download limit But I definitely want to again :yep:
    Do you look after the Dr Who threads? Are we going to have a new Peter Capaldi / Doctor XII thread on Saturday with a new poll? It would be fun to have that I think. :yep:

It will be totally amazing to see Peter and Jenna working in the new one, it's horribly exciting.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Do you look after the Dr Who threads? Are we going to have a new Peter Capaldi / Doctor XII thread on Saturday with a new poll? It would be fun to have that I think. :yep:

It will be totally amazing to see Peter and Jenna working in the new one, it's horribly exciting.
    I mod the Chat section - I'm just here because I love DW :gah:

Users are able to create their own threads and polls, so you could do that! That would be awesome :woo:

I can't wait!!

ReputationRep:
    I mod the Chat section - I'm just here because I love DW :gah:

Users are able to create their own threads and polls, so you could do that! That would be awesome :woo:

I can't wait!!
    I wasn't sure if it would just get modded back into this thread? I thought maybe a mod should start the new one, say as soon as the new episode starts or something like that. :cool:

I know, it's like, come on, we've got this far, let's end the tension! :teehee:
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure if it would just get modded back into this thread? I thought maybe a mod should start the new one, say as soon as the new episode starts or something like that. :cool:

I know, it's like, come on, we've got this far, let's end the tension! :teehee:
    I'm not sure how the polls work actually - I guess either the OP or a mod from this section (entertainment), could change it :dontknow:

Haha yeah, it's been soooo long - I'm ready for a new series

ReputationRep:
    So is this Doctor Twelve? Or not? Some say yes, others no.

DW experts - please confirm one way or the other. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how the polls work actually - I guess either the OP or a mod from this section (entertainment), could change it :dontknow:

Haha yeah, it's been soooo long - I'm ready for a new series
    I guess if nobody else adds one (unlikely! :giggle:) I will keep an eye and add one about 15 mins before it starts.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So is this Doctor Twelve? Or not? Some say yes, others no.

DW experts - please confirm one way or the other. :cool:
    12th actor and according to Moffat thinks of himself as the 12th, but he's the 14th incarnation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    12th actor and according to Moffat thinks of himself as the 12th, but he's the 14th incarnation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does John Hurt not get included then? Was he non-canonical for some reason, despite being very much an 'actor'? :confused:

ReputationRep:

Mod for the this section of forum can change the poll. Last series it was changed each week for each episode. Could happen again.

ReputationRep:
    Does John Hurt not get included then? Was he non-canonical for some reason, despite being very much an 'actor'? :confused:
    He is included in the regenerations, and is definitely part of the canon, but did not call himself 'The Doctor'. It's all a bit convoluted and they might start using a different numbering system now but that will become clear when the new series starts I assume.

ReputationRep:
    John Hurt's Doctor does not go by the name 'Doctor', therefore he doesn't count as a official Doctor, just a official incarnation of the character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unibuster325)
    John Hurt's Doctor does not go by the name 'Doctor', therefore he doesn't count as a official Doctor, just a official incarnation of the character.
    Didn't he get described as the 'War Doctor' at some point? TBH, I think his Doctorhood was fairly established during the show. Is this about not breaking the 'only 12 regenerations' rule, or is there something else going on? I worry that John Hurt was just too big a name to bestow 'Doctor' on, after all, he would have to spend the rest of his life going to conventions. :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Didn't he get described as the 'War Doctor' at some point? TBH, I think his Doctorhood was fairly established during the show. Is this about not breaking the 'only 12 regenerations' rule, or is there something else going on? I worry that John Hurt was just too big a name to bestow 'Doctor' on, after all, he would have to spend the rest of his life going to conventions. :rolleyes:
    He was called the war doctor and acknowledged as the doctor during the 50th anniversary special, but the doctor still doesn't admit to being hurts doctor, so capaldi is the 12th actor to take the name doctor, the 13th face he admits to having but the 14th incarnation

Besides, they've already dealt with the 12 regenerations bit in the Christmas special

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    He was called the war doctor and acknowledged as the doctor during the 50th anniversary special, but the doctor still doesn't admit to being hurts doctor, so capaldi is the 12th actor to take the name doctor, the 13th face he admits to having but the 14th incarnation

Besides, they've already dealt with the 12 regenerations bit in the Christmas special

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, OK. That's all crystal clear then. :teehee:

Personally I wish John Hurt had been a full Doc with a series of his own, he was amazing in the part. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, since we haven't really seen what the "young" war doctor looks like, Moffat has kept that string untied. Possible revisit in the future? Potential "time war" spin off? He certainly hasn't fixed anything in stone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeywimey)
    To be fair, since we haven't really seen what the "young" war doctor looks like, Moffat has kept that string untied. Possible revisit in the future? Potential "time war" spin off? He certainly hasn't fixed anything in stone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes we have - there was a special mini-episode that showed 8 (Paul McGann) regenerating into the War Doctor (John Hurt).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EobSTIc-ywA

It's only brief but I think that rules out there being another actor playing a younger version of John Hurt's regeneration...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Yes we have - there was a special mini-episode that showed 8 (Paul McGann) regenerating into the War Doctor (John Hurt).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EobSTIc-ywA

It's only brief but I think that rules out there being another actor playing a younger version of John Hurt's regeneration...
    I know, but we caught a glimpse of a younger doctor, who knows, they may go back to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeywimey)
    I know, but we caught a glimpse of a younger doctor, who knows, they may go back to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but the younger doctor is still John Hurt. The fact that they showed that regeneration means there's no gap for another actor. Makes no sense.Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 14.30.49.png
Views: 81
Size:  40.4 KB

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.