Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely brilliant!!

ReputationRep:
    I loved the episode! I love Capaldi!

Enjoyed it:yep: Love Capaldi
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I loved it - love the new doctor too: "you all sound English, you've got a fault" :laugh: really not downplaying his Scottishness. Impressed they managed a joke about scottish independence in there.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I really liked the ep and Capaldi

I loved the reference to Series 2 and the clockwork men :gah:

ReputationRep:
    Overall I liked it I think the story was still a little weak in places and guilty of some typical Moffat-isms but I think Capaldi gave it a (deep) breath of fresh air!

I also like the references to past episodes such as The Girl in the Fireplace and a even briefs reference to Capaldi's previous appearances when he said he recognised his face.

Looking forward to the next episode more than I have a for quite a while!

ReputationRep:
    I liked it. The new dynamic with Clara is different but good and though the Scottish independence joke was clever.

ReputationRep:
    I liked the episode but I think it may have been trying too hard to be funny - especially with strax! Aside from that, I liked Capaldi's doctor and loved matt at the end; I was in tears seeing him again! Overall it was a nice episode but it didn't have that umph that matt or Davids first episode had in my opinion, both of them had a nice speech whilst I found his quite dull. Yet, I'm looking forward to the season and interested in Missy, she can't be River or she would have called him her husband not boyfriend, but I like the theory of her being the master...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    I liked the episode but I think it may have been trying too hard to be funny - especially with strax! Aside from that, I liked Capaldi's doctor and loved matt at the end; I was in tears seeing him again! Overall it was a nice episode but it didn't have that umph that matt or Davids first episode had in my opinion, both of them had a nice speech whilst I found his quite dull. Yet, I'm looking forward to the season and interested in Missy, she can't be River or she would have called him her husband not boyfriend, but I like the theory of her being the master...
    my theory
    Spoiler:
    Show

Maybe the doctor meets Missy after he dies (for real)? Since the episode at the end of the series is about the paradise I believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpen)
    my theory
    Spoiler:
    Show

Maybe the doctor meets Missy after he dies (for real)? Since the episode at the end of the series is about the paradise I believe
    I think thats interesting actually. I love reading all these theories I heard another one about her being a version of clara! I have to say that after watching the episode on iplayer just now I am starting to really dislike this episode. I think capaldi was great just the episode lacked something to make him the doctor. It was the speech all new doctors have stood in front of the enermy and given a speech and his was to clara which was disappointing. The lackluster in that was only then salvaged with matt and the phone call. I think capaldi is great just moffat needs to start improving his writing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think thats interesting actually. I love reading all these theories I heard another one about her being a version of clara! I have to say that after watching the episode on iplayer just now I am starting to really dislike this episode. I think capaldi was great just the episode lacked something to make him the doctor. It was the speech all new doctors have stood in front of the enermy and given a speech and his was to clara which was disappointing. The lackluster in that was only then salvaged with matt and the phone call. I think capaldi is great just moffat needs to start improving his writing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its definitely interesting seeing the possibilities, as there are so many and so varied!

I really liked it personally, I may be slightly biased because I saw in the cinema (the doctor who world tour at BFI southbank) and then saw it again tonight, even a second time viewing... I enjoyed it a lot. Right amount of humour, intimidating enemies and serious stuff as well. I agree moffats writing is a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpen)
    Its definitely interesting seeing the possibilities, as there are so many and so varied!

I really liked it personally, I may be slightly biased because I saw in the cinema (the doctor who world tour at BFI southbank) and then saw it again tonight, even a second time viewing... I enjoyed it a lot. Right amount of humour, intimidating enemies and serious stuff as well. I agree moffats writing is a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey though
    Yh he really needs to improve but I hope this season is good because I do lobe doctor who as a show! And yh maybe watching it on iplayer before I sleep makes me slightly biased too but capaldi wasn't bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hated it and looks like I'm the only one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I love, love, love Capaldi's Doctor...I hated everything else. It's like the show should be shifted to Cbeebies.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    That was really bad:indiff: I did hope that the writers would give Capaldi a better first episode, but despite what he had to work with, he still gave a brilliant performance.

They need to get rid of Vastra, or at the very least change her persona, the overly-knowledgeable-holmes-like-agent is becoming a bore and makes no sense to keep in the show, as it only overshadows the Doctor's role. Instead we have to make do with a dwelling Doctor that doesn't quite function well, and a minor character explaining much of the story.

There's a reason why Tennant and Smith (series 5, not series 7:nooo:) worked so well, as their stories relied much more on their own interpretation/explanation.

:moon: then again it has only been one episode ..written by Moffat, I just hope it improves so we can admire what Doctor Who should be like.

I believe that is the idea/surprise, they did have an interest in reintroducing the Master in this series.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    I love, love, love Capaldi's Doctor...I hated everything else. It's like the show should be shifted to Cbeebies.
    Every episode: a depressed doctor who tells you how old he is, followed by an empty ambiguous threat.

ReputationRep:
    Really like Capaldi as an actor (he is perfect as the Cardinal in the new Musketeers series) but still not sold on him as Dr Who. Also a bit miffed that Moffat chose to partner Clara (in my opinion by far the best companion that any of the new Doctors have had) with a Doctor with whom there is absolutely 0% chance of any romance occuring. They have admittedly overdone romance with the last few companions but the whole dynamic between her and Smith was actually pretty cool and had the potential to develop really well and then...boom.

Tennant is still by far the best doctor in my opinion, but Capaldi is an amazing actor so maybe it will get better. He needs more serious storylines to work with though - really don't think that the plot for this episode came close to matching the opener for the 10th or 11th Doctors.

ReputationRep:
    I think the woman at the end may be Clara, for the whole episode there's been the "I am not your boyfriend, Clara" thing, so either it's obviously her, or it's just (more likely) Moffat trying to make us think that.

Capaldi was great, but for a non native english speaker, the Scottish accent is sometimes quite obscure. Not quite as Tennant in Broadchurch (!) but still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh93)
    Really like Capaldi as an actor (he is perfect as the Cardinal in the new Musketeers series) but still not sold on him as Dr Who. Also a bit miffed that Moffat chose to partner Clara (in my opinion by far the best companion that any of the new Doctors have had) with a Doctor with whom there is absolutely 0% chance of any romance occuring. They have admittedly overdone romance with the last few companions but the whole dynamic between her and Smith was actually pretty cool and had the potential to develop really well and then...boom.

Tennant is still by far the best doctor in my opinion, but Capaldi is an amazing actor so maybe it will get better. He needs more serious storylines to work with though - really don't think that the plot for this episode came close to matching the opener for the 10th or 11th Doctors.
    I have to respectfully disagree with you. I'm GLAD there won't be any romance. It's about time! Romance between the Doctor and anyone else just kills the show for me.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Capaldi said he was trying to take the show in a 'darker' direction? Last night's episode seemed a bit sillier than I'd hoped, it seems that after the first or second series they've been targeting the show at a younger and younger audience, instead of trying to stick to their fan-base (who are getting older, obviously). The first 'new' series with Eccleston was the only one I've properly enjoyed (Smith and Tenant may have been better actors, but the doctor's character and the episode plots seemed a bit less childish back then).

Also, really hoping they get rid of Vastra, Jenny and Strax. Really annoys me whenever they turn up in an episode.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.