Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh93)
    I can see where you're coming from but the dynamic between her and Smith was really good - flirty but developing pretty organically into a deeper and clearly mutual affection. I agree that romance should not distract from the rest of the story/characterisation but done well I think it can definitely add to the depth of the character and create engaging plots. The girl in the fireplace is, in my opinion, one of the best episodes ever and romance is absolutely central to the emotional significance of that.
    I don't know, I didn't like TGITF purely because of the romance.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was the weakest start since Ecclestone...

Capaldi didn't have the comic timing - there were obviously a few punchlines in the script, but they were completely off beat. It was really weird seeing someone play the Doctor without any eccentricities, he really was Capaldi running about reciting the lines like he was reading a shopping list. Once he got into the angry thing he was alright, but that first scene and the first scene in the restaurant in particular were soooooooo wooden, especially compared to how Tennant and Smith dealt with similar lines. A big change in character would be good, but maybe the scriptwriters need some time to work to Capaldi's strengths? Because comic timing isn't one of them.

(And yes, I know The Thick of It was a comedy show, but looking back, his shouting character allowed him to be pretty slack with timing. It was the characters reacting to him who needed the timing.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Agreed. Also the whole "we must make it super clear they are lesbians, and of course emphasis that really Clara is in love with the Doctor and useless without him as what are women without men? Unless of course they are transspecies lesbians and therefore have a shock factor..." :sigh:
    lizbians :ahee:

I agree though, when they were first introduced it was subtle, to the point it wasn't ever really mentioned. It was just female human, female lizard, married, great, move on. And no more was ever said. It was just a thing we all accepted. Why Moffat felt the need to go over board with the referencing here is beyond me!

ReputationRep:
    When the Doctor was talking about replacing all parts of the broom, he was also talking about himself. :zomg: And when he was holding the plate, there was a reflection on both sides so when he said, "you don't remember where you got that face from" they were as much statements to himself as the half faced man!

I really hope the doctor shoved the him, it's been a while since we've had a Doctor willing to go hard in the paint instead of letting his allies do the dirty work. He MUST have anyway (or at least his attack eyebrows did :mmm:)! The reason it kept patching itself up originally would have been to survive, making that the number one priority! It would not make sense if it had been programmed to be able to kill itself. :dontknow: Plus, as I've already said, I kind of want it to be the Doctor that killed him. Eleven killed several of his enemies, but it always seemed to get brushed off. It will be much more interesting if Capaldi's Doctor accepts that he resorts to violence at times and is not afraid to do so. I'm certain whether or not 12 is 'programmed' to kill is a mystery that will be dragged out all season though.

Really interested to see the direction they take this Doctor, it seems promising, although this episode admittedly wasn't the greatest ever. CAPALDI WAS AMAZING :eek3:, I absolutely LOVE him :love: He is a terrific actor and I'm so glad I didn't feel at all disappointed by him. I'd hyped myself up for Capaldi like you wouldn't believe and felt terrified I would end up not liking him cause I overhyped myself. Did anyone else expect him to explode in a "Malcolm Tucker-eque" barrage of verbal abuse and gratuitous swearing? #****itybye :lol:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by alpen)
    Yeah its annoying - bring back a Doctor/Donna relationship anyday!
    (Original post by timeywimey)
    Donna is my favourite companion. Hope the next one is like her!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She was the best
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

My siblings and I are fighting over who the biggest whovian is :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    What a crap episode.....

Each doctor has a different vibe to them.

Matt Smiths was meant to be childish.

I assumed, just like everyone else Peter C was meant to be darker.
    He is a great actor, its just that moffat messed it up for everyone

ReputationRep:
    :cry::cry: absolutely awful. Tried watching more of it but just couldn't. Worst doctor who ever. feel sorry for jenna coleman (clara) coz he makes her look **** too.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at my comment it might be me just missing the old one soo much. But I think its just that there are certain expectations you have to fill when being a doctor who. I dont think him being energetic and jumpy fits him as he just looks soo old. I think the classy and more serious look fits him just fine. (not written with stereotypical or ageist intent)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I've just merged three threads together, so apologies if the last few pages make no sense!

(I've never watched Dr. Who, so i'll now depart this thread :ninja:)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Neuro-)
    lizbians :ahee:

I agree though, when they were first introduced it was subtle, to the point it wasn't ever really mentioned. It was just female human, female lizard, married, great, move on. And no more was ever said. It was just a thing we all accepted. Why Moffat felt the need to go over board with the referencing here is beyond me!
    quinn_drummer?:sly:

ReputationRep:
    Holy marbles that was bad. I really used to like the early David Tennant episodes,and Ecclestone episodes. Not because of the actors but mainly for the character development in each episode, the plot lines and just the general story telling being delivered was well presented.

Now it seems as though the pacing and editing is done by a teenager doing his apprenticeship at the BBC, and seem to over rely on really BAD CGI. I honestly wanted to sit through the episode but I just couldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think this theory about Capaldi in fires of pompeii is likely to be true?
    Spoiler:
    Show

The capaldi we see in fires of pompeii is a human version of capaldi, if you remember the episodes ''human nature'' and ''family of blood'' from the Tennant-Martha series, it might be likely that the capaldi we see with a family in pompeii is the 12th doctor under the human-watch effect. Anyone else agree? (because he seemed pretty human).

He also gave his pocket watch to the tramp in deep breath, and I think this will come back to haunt him somehow

ReputationRep:
    I thought the episode was brilliant! Loved Capaldi's performance. I did have a few problems though.

I didn't like Vastra's speech about Clara not being able to see the Doctor in his new face and all about how/why the doctor chose his new one. She made it sound as if she's been around for all of his regenerations and they're old news, when in reality she's pretty much as much of a newbie as Clara to the whole thing.
    I didn't like Vastra and Jenny's ninja style entrance near the end. Seemed over the top and unnecessary to me.
    I didn't like that the robots would stop trying to kill them after they held their breath even though they'd already been seen as targets.

Like the humour, loved the dark scene of Clara desperate to breathe, I thought that was excellently executed. Loved Capaldi's confused "new Doctor" rants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpen)
    Does anyone think this theory about Capaldi in fires of pompeii is likely to be true?
    Spoiler:
    Show

The capaldi we see in fires of pompeii is a human version of capaldi, if you remember the episodes ''human nature'' and ''family of blood'' from the Tennant-Martha series, it might be likely that the capaldi we see with a family in pompeii is the 12th doctor under the human-watch effect. Anyone else agree? (because he seemed pretty human).

He also gave his pocket watch to the tramp in deep breath, and I think this will come back to haunt him somehow
    If that happens it would be genius

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpen)
    Spoiler:
    Show

But then what happen Capaldi being in Torchwood Children of Earth where IIRC he killed himself in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99DeadBaboons)
    I thought the episode was brilliant! Loved Capaldi's performance. I did have a few problems though.

I didn't like Vastra's speech about Clara not being able to see the Doctor in his new face and all about how/why the doctor chose his new one. She made it sound as if she's been around for all of his regenerations and they're old news, when in reality she's pretty much as much of a newbie as Clara to the whole thing.
    I didn't like Vastra and Jenny's ninja style entrance near the end. Seemed over the top and unnecessary to me.
    I didn't like that the robots would stop trying to kill them after they held their breath even though they'd already been seen as targets.

Like the humour, loved the dark scene of Clara desperate to breathe, I thought that was excellently executed. Loved Capaldi's confused "new Doctor" rants.
    That's such a good summary.

I totally agree that it was silly how much lizard-lesbian-lady knows about the Doc. TBH I don't really feel much towards her character or her partner/maid. They've always seemed a bit rushed in terms of development and I like Stranx much more, he seems to be a likeable rogue who it would be good to see as a full companion - he and Clara travelling with the Doc would be brilliant.

Am I the only one who questioned why Tyrannosaurus was as tall as Big Ben? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    But then what happen Capaldi being in Torchwood Children of Earth where IIRC he killed himself in the end?
    something wibly wobly timey wimey, maybe he died as a human but came back to life as a timelord, or maybe clara found the watch and did something which brought him back just as he died, idk lots of theories but I'm thinking fires of pompeii and children of earth will be explained separately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    That's such a good summary.

I totally agree that it was silly how much lizard-lesbian-lady knows about the Doc. TBH I don't really feel much towards her character or her partner/maid. They've always seemed a bit rushed in terms of development and I like Stranx much more, he seems to be a likeable rogue who it would be good to see as a full companion - he and Clara travelling with the Doc would be brilliant.

Am I the only one who questioned why Tyrannosaurus was as tall as Big Ben? :lolwut:
    Thanks
    Yeah, that was weird. Then Vastra was all like..."No... they're totally supposed to be that big" and so I guess we ignore everything else we know about dinosaurs. I like Strax a lot too! I'm not sure why he'd hold his breath along with the others though, surely Sauntarans are taught to fight to the end

ReputationRep:
    i am a tad bit late but oh my goodness i thought doctor who was good!!!! my mum thought it was awful but i think there will be some good developments in the series.
    on a side note if the dinosaur was in the thames why didnt she go out as soon as she combusted? important questions!!! :doctor:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.