The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

I hate Moffat as series lead writer and always have. I only watch it for the hope that one day it'll get better. People have suggested I've just grown out of Doctor Who, but I love rewatching series 1-4.

Moffat has to go!
I'm not a Moffat fan at all, but really enjoyed that episode. Capaldi's such a strong lead. Completely blew Smith out of the water.
Original post by danconway
You mean that The Doctor IS Frobisher? Because John Frobisher is in no way Doctor-esque. If he was The Doctor, just pre-regen, he would not have volunteered 10% of the world's children without a fight and try to murder Jack Harkness and Torchwood. Unless he's really THAT dark... Also, he had a wife and kids (well, he killed them all)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Original post by Dalek1099

Spoiler

Ooh that's beautifully feasible.
Original post by Maid Marian
Enjoyed it:yep: Love wiping poo on my face :smile:

Omg WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!
Original post by timeywimey
Clockwork droids, they were in a season 3 tennant episode

Posted from TSR Mobile

Series 2, actually.
I love Steven Moffat. His era is my favourite so far and I loved Deep Breath. The Clockwork Droids were maybe a little underused but Peter Capaldi was fantastic and I think he's going to be a brilliant Doctor(if not as good as David Tennant, who takes a lot of beating).
Hard to judge the Doctor based on one episode, half of which was spent in post-regeneration trauma. There's still a lot more to come from Capaldi yet I think, but it looks promising.

The episode itself was okay, and some aspects, such as the symbolism of the veil were done rather clumsily. Some genuinely chilling scenes in the restaurant though. As for the end scene, I can't help sensing another plot thread that Moffat will quickly get bored of or forget about and it will end up going nowhere, as usual.
Original post by KATCreative
Hard to judge the Doctor based on one episode, half of which was spent in post-regeneration trauma. There's still a lot more to come from Capaldi yet I think, but it looks promising.

I hope a lot of the eccentricity remains and isn't just post-regeneration trauma. Peter Capaldi is best with comedy in my opinion and if he is as funny as in Deep Breath, I can see him being a great comedy Doctor as opposed to a dark one.
Totally agree with Capaldi in the Q&A, bring back the original cybermen! Tons better than the new ones, brain in a robot is boring and unoriginal, a person who has willingly turned themselves into something sub human through hyper plastic surgery is marvellous.

-

So I gave it another watch and hopefully i've got more of a handle on some of the flaws and strengths.

Weaknesses:

Clara and patronising the audience - I love Jenna and Clara got much more to do and had some stand out moments but her stand in for the audience doesn't work. She's seen the Doctor regenerate more than anyone else, and so have we, this shouldn't phase her so much and her role to assure us that this is still the Doctor therefore doesn't work as we know already and she should know better. It got pretty patronising on occasions with digs at people who don't like Capaldi as he's old as if this is somehow a big marjority of fans.

Paternoster gang - No need for so much development of them on what is Capaldi's first episode. I want him and Clara not unecessary scenes of Strax (who still is just a walking joke) giving Clara a medical. Also the d/s undertones didn't really sit well with me as a kids show and having the kiss be another kiss of necessity made it feel rather forced. We get that Jenny and Vastra are a thing, and that's brilliant and I believe them but I would hope we were slightly past that point.

The theme - I like the direction but it's missing the bass, it's too thin and needs that darker edge of the oldest incarnations.

The phone call at the end - It wasn't needed, I like it but after an entire episode of Capaldi and Clara getting used to him a reminder about the past was somewhat unnecessary. If it was in at all it would have been better near the beginning.

Murray Gold - Still don't like his music, far too bomastic when something much subtler is called for.

Positives -

Dialogue - The mirror's angry, there's no point in us both being cold, attack eyebrows, take five, who invented this room - All good stuff.

Slower pacing - Felt more like the classic series instead of the 90 miles an hour pace it's been going lately.

The villian - I actually liked him damn it, he had to be simple for the sake of the episode and as a reverse cybermen he works really nicely. Well acted and the model used for the clockwork inside his head is fantastic.

Misc - The resturant and scene with the homeless man, both wonderfully acted and written. 'I wear this viel not as a courtesy but as a judgement'. New Tardis. Yay bookshelves. Nice exploration of growing older. Capaldi is great and perfect and wonderful.
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

The villian - I actually liked him damn it, he had to be simple for the sake of the episode and as a reverse cybermen he works really nicely. Well acted and the model used for the clockwork inside his head is fantastic.

+1 for this. Had to feel a bit sorry for him, and I kinda hope it was the Doctor who pushed him rather than him jumping of his own will.
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Totally agree with Capaldi in the Q&A, bring back the original cybermen! Tons better than the new ones, brain in a robot is boring and unoriginal, a person who has willingly turned themselves into something sub human through hyper plastic surgery is marvellous.

-

So I gave it another watch and hopefully i've got more of a handle on some of the flaws and strengths.

Weaknesses:

Clara and patronising the audience - I love Jenna and Clara got much more to do and had some stand out moments but her stand in for the audience doesn't work. She's seen the Doctor regenerate more than anyone else, and so have we, this shouldn't phase her so much and her role to assure us that this is still the Doctor therefore doesn't work as we know already and she should know better. It got pretty patronising on occasions with digs at people who don't like Capaldi as he's old as if this is somehow a big marjority of fans.

Paternoster gang - No need for so much development of them on what is Capaldi's first episode. I want him and Clara not unecessary scenes of Strax (who still is just a walking joke) giving Clara a medical. Also the d/s undertones didn't really sit well with me as a kids show and having the kiss be another kiss of necessity made it feel rather forced. We get that Jenny and Vastra are a thing, and that's brilliant and I believe them but I would hope we were slightly past that point.

The theme - I like the direction but it's missing the bass, it's too thin and needs that darker edge of the oldest incarnations.

The phone call at the end - It wasn't needed, I like it but after an entire episode of Capaldi and Clara getting used to him a reminder about the past was somewhat unnecessary. If it was in at all it would have been better near the beginning.

Murray Gold - Still don't like his music, far too bomastic when something much subtler is called for.

Positives -

Dialogue - The mirror's angry, there's no point in us both being cold, attack eyebrows, take five, who invented this room - All good stuff.

Slower pacing - Felt more like the classic series instead of the 90 miles an hour pace it's been going lately.

Misc - The resturant and scene with the homeless man, both wonderfully acted and written. 'I wear this viel not as a courtesy but as a judgement'. New Tardis. Yay bookshelves. Nice exploration of growing older. Capaldi is great and perfect and wonderful.

I actually found clara to be very annoying in this episode and I am probably in the minority but I do not like her as the doctors companion. Even with matt she was annoying and when capaldi mentioned in the episode of how he wished amy was there I wished for the same thing! I think capaldi could be an amazing darker doctor if moffat could wrote decent epsiodes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by St. Brynjar
+1 for this. Had to feel a bit sorry for him, and I kinda hope it was the Doctor who pushed him rather than him jumping of his own will.

Aye, poor half-face needed a hug in that scene :console: Shame he isn't a hugging Doctor.

Original post by Teddysmith123
I actually found clara to be very annoying in this episode and I am probably in the minority but I do not like her as the doctors companion. Even with matt she was annoying and when capaldi mentioned in the episode of how he wished amy was there I wished for the same thing! I think capaldi could be an amazing darker doctor if moffat could wrote decent epsiodes!

She was rather running at a different level than everyone else, she was very frantic where everyone else slowed it down a notch. Her standing up to the Half-faced man was a wonderful moment for her though. From the looks of it she's getting a Doctor-lite ep down the line and a few more set at home so hopefully that bodes well for future development.
I found that episode was quite dull. I didn't like the fact that Capaldi's Doctor was similar to Smith's Doctor (although if it is just an effect of regeneration and disappears for the next episode I will be fine with it) add to this the fact that all of Clara's complaints were about his looks made for one awful episode.

Personally, I think Moffat needs to go. I think that he was fantastic at one-off story lines (e.g. Blink/Doctor Dances 2 parter) yet when it comes to being Head Writer he makes some awful decisions such as splitting one series in half and some of the endings of seasons. His first season was his best because it fitted together with an interesting storyline and was rounded off well. However the next few seasons have been awful because he seemingly wants to build up to a huge season climax letting the quality of the build-up episodes decline and yet when we reach the climax it is an underwhelming, disappointment. For example look at the Doctor's death, the build-up of the second half of the season had some awful episodes and when we reach the explanation it is practically a get out of jail free card as they explain that the Doctor didn't really die he just let the universe think he did (which Moffat subsequently got rid of by having the Daleks remember who he is). My final problem with Moffat is that he doesn't explain things and it is incredibly frustrating - for example look at when Clara jumps in to save the Doctor and he jumps in after her, where do they go when they find each other and how did they get out of there. Another example is at the end of Smiths run at the battle of Trenzalore; I had to look on the Doctor Who wikipedia to find out that this created a different universe where he survived, yet Moffat never explains this (I thought that at the end of his life, the Doctor goes to Trenzalore to die).

tl;dr Moffat should leave because his writing is awful with the big events are not explained and he panders to children rather than make the Doctor's adventures interesting.
I know doctor who is meant to be aimed at kids, but some of the darker episodes are my particular favorites, blink -duh-, the empty child, Satan’s pits. I found all of these episodes more entertaining than episodes like, the doctor, the witch and the wardrobe.

I was a massive fan of the David Tennant and Christopher Ecceleston. Maybe that was down to a bigger influence from Russell T Davis.

With Matt Smith, I found the storylines more kiddish and some episodes just awful. But I continued with the show, mostly down to Matt Smiths acting! I wasn't a big fan of Vastra's group. We never really find out how they became to be the doctors friends unlike that of captain jack, rose and etc. Instead they were just tossed in like "Here’s a sontarian, he will be cool! People will like him" I do like the 11th doctor’s theme tune though...

With an older doctor I am hoping for better, darker episodes. Less kiddy crap with those annoying *thump* and *bang* noises.

I do understand that it is directed at children but still. I find Sherlock emphasis on storytelling and drama much better in comparison to some of stuff from the most recent seasons.
To be fair a lot of complaints about Moffat he's seemingly trying to rectify a bit - no convoluted arc for the season, no break, episodes stand more alone, 'darker' and less flirtatious Doctor and more new blood. Deep Breath is very much a set up and it's rather harsh to base a final opinion on the show runner until it's all played out.

Original post by NorwichtoBristol
add to this the fact that all of Clara's complaints were about his looks made for one awful episode.

All of them? She was totally fine with the War Doctor so it must be something deeper than that. Maybe it's somewhat of a factor but it's rather boiling it down to something simpler than it is. This is the man she had a crush on, who she trusted, gave her life for and has known for a long time if you count going into his time stream. Yes she's seen past incarnations and yes she's having to deal with not having that young man to have around (or someone not as schmexy as Colin Baker :sexface:) but someone her age (even just in appearance) may be something she finds easier to relate to. Even if it is shallow, you're going to view Matt Smith differently than Capaldi and the nature of a relationship could well change, in a way Smith's appearance is a veil for his age where it's fairly easy to forget he's 2,000+ but now it isn't, and that's something she needs to confront.

Also the Doctor is actively different here, he abandons her, he's shown a more cold blooded side and this is the man she needs to be able to trust in dangerous situations - It's not exactly easy for her even if imo this shouldn't be such a shock for someone who has seen how different he has been, but the more I think about it, the more okay I am. Still think the episode is a bit patronising but it doesn't feel too ooc.
I'm just so happy that Clara has finally developed a personality. Her first few episodes she was far too 2D as a character - the latest episode really fleshed her out. I just hope that the script allows her to maintain this new personality for the entire season...
I am irritated with a lot of the Moffatisms in Deep Breath, but it's still possible that they will decrease as time goes on.

An interesting graphic that has been doing the rounds this week, on the subject of alleged sexism in Doctor Who.

10628703_727788463942514_6391775513447850354_o.jpg

(FYI in case any don't know, the Bechdel Test is whether there are a) two female characters [preferably named] who b) have a conversation c) about something other than a man.)
Original post by Feefifofum
I am irritated with a lot of the Moffatisms in Deep Breath, but it's still possible that they will decrease as time goes on.

No one says Moffatisms as a compliment do they? :tongue:

I would be interested to see a male version actually, I can't imagine it scores much better amongst Rory/Mickey, if not worse. Really the Bechdel test is more suited to a show with a wide cast of characters ala a sitcom, when it's applied to a show with such a central figure it doesn't work so much as everyone, their conversations and the story itself is revolving around the one central male character so it's natural that there's less opportunity and plot points to allow for such moments.
Original post by Feefifofum

An interesting graphic that has been doing the rounds this week, on the subject of alleged sexism in Doctor Who.

10628703_727788463942514_6391775513447850354_o.jpg

(FYI in case any don't know, the Bechdel Test is whether there are a) two female characters [preferably named] who b) have a conversation c) about something other than a man.)

The Bechdel test proves nothing. There can be TV shows/films that contain strong independent women which don't pass the test. It's criteria is limited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending