The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 8472
The only thing I picked up

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by 8472
The only thing I picked up

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 3542
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by 8472

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 3544
Great episode
Is it just me that

Spoiler

Original post by snowyowl
Is it just me that

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Jean-Luc Picard

Spoiler

It's not that hard :/ it looked bloody identical!
Reply 3548
It's not that hard :/ it looked bloody identical!

calm down I think Moffats gonna just stick with missy, rather than bringing back that confusing plothole
Is it just me that

Spoiler

Yep my thoughts too.

Also why are people spoiling tagging their thoughts on the episode? Simple rules are that if you haven't seen it when aired don't come into the thread.

I thought the episode was quite good. I enjoyed how once again we were reminded that the Doctor would make a good Dalek due to his deep rooted hatred.

Bit confused about how 'Rusty' was able to kill all the other Daleks without a single shot being made on him.

Also when they were shrunk an emphasis on breathing again. Might be something to listen out for in coming episodes. :holmes:
Original post by SirMasterKey
Yep my thoughts too.

Also why are people spoiling tagging their thoughts on the episode? Simple rules are that if you haven't seen it when aired don't come into the thread.

I thought the episode was quite good. I enjoyed how once again we were reminded that the Doctor would make a good Dalek due to his deep rooted hatred.

Bit confused about how 'Rusty' was able to kill all the other Daleks without a single shot being made on him.

Also when they were shrunk an emphasis on breathing again. Might be something to listen out for in coming episodes. :holmes:

I always spoiler things about the new series :tongue: force of habit I suppose lol

the hatred he has I think is a good theme, like I said it's very human of him, and it contrasts well with his longing to be a "good man"

I think the idea is that the other daleks didn't expect one of their own to shoot at them so were just confused so didn't cotton on in time? a bit far fetched yes but you have to go with things a bit I think :tongue:

oooh, good point, didn't pick up on that, could be breathing as a metaphor for living? there seems to be a lot of stuff about living/good/evil so far thematically at least
isn't missy river song? isn't ~heaven~ that world created for CAL? she's found a way of transporting all the people that die because of the doctor there, to ease his guilt (remember tennant's scene in davros' basement).
Original post by dire wolf
isn't missy river song? isn't ~heaven~ that world created for CAL? she's found a way of transporting all the people that die because of the doctor there, to ease his guilt (remember tennant's scene in davros' basement).

oooh, that's clever, I like that theory a lot, wouldn't explain her change of appearance though?
Rehash: a slight cross between Dalek and Asylum of the Daleks. The line 'you would make a good Dalek' from Dalek was also rehashed. As a Dalek episode, I can't say it was the greatest- I didn't feel the menace. But it's a solid episode and a good insight into the Doctor, who still obviously has some hard feelings from the Time War.

Then again, not as good an insight into the Doctor's hatred of the Daleks as in Dalek, where it's made pretty obvious: he tries to kill it in 'the cage', he tries to kill it at the end, the 'WHY DON'T YOU JUST DIE?!' line.

Here, the Doctor's hatred of the Daleks is much subtler and really manifests itself as prejudice, with the whole 'there is no such thing as a good Dalek' thing. But then again, I suppose he's settled since the Time War, so his fury is buried deep and well hidden.

I just want a good 'Parting of the Ways'/'The Stolen Earth' type of full on Dalek invasion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3554
I rather liked the links back to the original Doctor. "And then I went to Skaro"

Also enjoyed the way that it seemed that the Doctor wasn't quite aware of his hatred until it was pointed out to him. Definitely loving Capaldi's Doctor.
I have to say that I liked this episode a lot more than the last episode but there was something lacking. Im not sure if it was the lack of action or what but there was something that I didn't like. Another thing was how we still dont have capaldis catch phrase - matt had Geronimo and david had al enze - buy capaldi still has nothing. But I liked the prospect of a good dalek but I wanted something better for the doctor. His dialogue in this episode it was bland there was nothing great or magnificent about what he said - there was no speech again and I think this might be the reason I still dont see capaldi as the doctor yet. He's a brilliant actor but I feel the script writing is lacking and I just want more from it - not sure if I just have high expectations or if this new season has just fallen in execution. The actors are good but writing is verly bland! I also felt that when the doctor said to pink at the end was a bit uncharacteristic. The doctor has worked woth soilders and unit before and he may not like them but she did prove herself and I felt that was a missed opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3556
Original post by Teddysmith123
I have to say that I liked this episode a lot more than the last episode but there was something lacking. Im not sure if it was the lack of action or what but there was something that I didn't like. Another thing was how we still dont have capaldis catch phrase - matt had Geronimo and david had al enze - buy capaldi still has nothing. But I liked the prospect of a good dalek but I wanted something better for the doctor. His dialogue in this episode it was bland there was nothing great or magnificent about what he said - there was no speech again and I think this might be the reason I still dont see capaldi as the doctor yet. He's a brilliant actor but I feel the script writing is lacking and I just want more from it - not sure if I just have high expectations or if this new season has just fallen in execution. The actors are good but writing is verly bland! I also felt that when the doctor said to pink at the end was a bit uncharacteristic. The doctor has worked woth soilders and unit before and he may not like them but she did prove herself and I felt that was a missed opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing wrong with the Doctor not having a catchphrase imo. When they're overused they become tacky.

And what the Doctor said to Blue at the end was very clearly leading up to Pink being introduced as a more important character, along with the whole crying is for civilians thing. (Blue was the lady soldier, Pink was the ex-soldier teacher).
Original post by Aula
Nothing wrong with the Doctor not having a catchphrase imo. When they're overused they become tacky.

And what the Doctor said to Blue at the end was very clearly leading up to Pink being introduced as a more important character, along with the whole crying is for civilians thing. (Blue was the lady soldier, Pink was the ex-soldier teacher).

Lol I kind of like the catch phrases but thats just me. Is the ex soldoer teacher going to join the doctor in the tardis in the next few episodes like rory and amy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aula

I forgot about when the Doctor said "crying was for civilians" could definitely have used that in my Ofcom complaint that the episode was insensitive and prejudiced about soldiers.The whole episode seemed to attack the whole idea of soldiers in a completely one sided way.I thought the episode was brilliant though(much better than the appalling Asylum of the Daleks0 and this is Capaldi's best episode(I have seen some leaked ones) Capaldi seems to be a bit hit and miss.

Quick Reply

Latest