Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    I feel these people are so shoehorned into the series. I don't even remember their origins, probably thanks to Moffatt's weird, overly complex 6th and 7th serieses. It's almost like they're saying to the audience "hey kids, whoa what is going on? Whoa they used to be villains! Whooo whoa [insert random quip about something contemporary which seems irrelevant to the time frame here]". There's no development and I think what annoys me most is how they're set up to be a generic rag tag group of detectives.

It's like they want to do a spin off when all the spin offs suck, even Torchwood was basically a Doctor Who episode except with shoehorned swearing, nudity and violence, it never felt like a show for adults.

Also, what was annoying me is how the makers constantly shoehorn homosexuality into the show but they don't have the balls to write a gay male companion's relationship with the Doctor. It's kind of like showing off some nonsense liberalism like a quota rather than actually meaning it. It's always 'hey there's another random gay extra in this episode showing off that they can show gay things on telly'. There's often no reason for any sexuality to be shown off, it's like they're trying to spite someone incredibly cheaply.
    I thought Torchwood was good personally (especially seasons 1 & 2), I would not like a spin off with this gang though

Personally I really cared for these characters, so it made the show good for me

You never really got scenes like this on Doctor Who:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevelee)
    The brief glimpse we saw for the next episode looks promising. Darleks (and not your stupid red, blue and white power ranger darleks) killing and the doctor trying to stop them. It looks potentially a darker episode which is good. I swear if there is any *bongs* *thumps* or any other stupid noises am going to just face palm and go watch something else.

The only time back in the day was when tenant was smacking the tardis with a mallet! Not when someone gets knock unconscious.
    Everything I've read about Into The Dalek suggests it is quite a action-packed episode. Sounds like a series 7 part 1-esque episode to me. Sounds like Phil Ford was inspired by Die Hard, as he describes it as 'Doctor Who meets Die Hard' in the latest DWM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unibuster325)
    Everything I've read about Into The Dalek suggests it is quite a action-packed episode. Sounds like a series 7 part 1-esque episode to me. Sounds like Phil Ford was inspired by Die Hard, as he describes it as 'Doctor Who meets Die Hard' in the latest DWM.
    Am not sure what to expect... I hope it is good!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is going to be spectacular!

*Hopefully*
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

That was such a great ep Loved it
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Called it.

Stunner of an episode. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic episode. :awesome:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Well that was a weird episode, trying to turn a dalek ..good, and the consequence of his actions. A bit of "deep" episode, it was good and a whole lot better than last weeks episode Though it's rather strange seeing the Doctor just jumping into his companions lives now and then. Seems less like an adventure in space & time, especially without the music we've become accustomed to.

A lot more questions, and the character of Missy is even more intriguing.

Next week's episode looks really good, back to an adventure:jive:

also where are the updated polls?

ReputationRep:
    that was awesome

Spoiler:
    Show
    really like the whole Doctor struggling with his identity as a "good man" as well, really clever, I thought the trying to make the dalek good then it just seeing his own hatred of the daleks and that making it just turn against it's own kind, very powerful/clever way of showing how the doctor struggles with his own identity as "the doctor" who wants to heal/help people but at the same time he's flawed, human almost in the fact he still has that hate and it can lead to things like that. I like how it makes him contrast with himself as well, going from "she cares so I don't have to" to him trying to turn the dalek good so he can have hope that even the most evil things in the universe, the daleks, can be redeemed somehow, can be made good, I think he underestimated just how hardwired the evil was within them & how much his own mind has hate in it as well for them, the dalek saying to him "you are a good dalek" was very apt as well, will no doubt be something he sees as his internal struggle personified, is he the "good man" the Doctor who heals things, or is he a dalek himself, capable of only ever bringing hatred & evil with him. going to be a great dynamic to Capaldi's doctor for this series I think and I really look forward to seeing them explore it, especially with Capaldi as he was superb again in this episode more stuff with this Missy as well, clearly she is taking people who have died because of the doctor...but the question is why? another mystery to unravel!

9/10 for me, it was that good & I already love Capaldi's doctor, next week looks a bit naff from first glance though
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Robin Hood? :erm:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I picked up

Spoiler:
    Show
    When the Dr linked minds with the Dalek shouldn't the Dalek have died? The Dr has the Tardis/All of time or something in his head (From Eccleston and Rose days it was mentioned) so that should have killed the Dalek. Or can they survive with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)

Spoiler:
    Show
    When the Dr linked minds with the Dalek shouldn't the Dalek have died? The Dr has the Tardis/All of time or something in his head (From Eccleston and Rose days it was mentioned) so that should have killed the Dalek. Or can they survive with it?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    not quite the same, Rose saw into the TARDIS time vortex so got all of it at once, I think the Doctor was in control of the link with the dalek though so was showing him bits of his past, sadly for him the dalek also saw the doctors own hatred of the daleks, just as pure a hatred as the daleks have for all life, and because the daleks are designed to see that hate that's all he could focus on, which shows the nature of the daleks but also the power of the hate the doctor feels for them, which is shown in the episode earlier on when he wants to just kill it to begin with or let it die

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think where the dalek can suppress memories, perhaps it learned to release small amounts of info at a time?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    not quite the same, Rose saw into the TARDIS time vortex so got all of it at once, I think the Doctor was in control of the link with the dalek though so was showing him bits of his past, sadly for him the dalek also saw the doctors own hatred of the daleks, just as pure a hatred as the daleks have for all life, and because the daleks are designed to see that hate that's all he could focus on, which shows the nature of the daleks but also the power of the hate the doctor feels for them, which is shown in the episode earlier on when he wants to just kill it to begin with or let it die
    Spoiler:
    Show
    mhmm yeah. Dr will have been in control so I guess he would have stopped that but then couldn't he have stopped the dalek seeing the hatred?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    mhmm yeah. Dr will have been in control so I guess he would have stopped that but then couldn't he have stopped the dalek seeing the hatred?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    possibly, I think it was more that he could control how much the dalek saw but not necessarily what the dalek saw as the dalek could only see the hate once he had a glimpse of it, it's not simple obviously but I think that's what they were going for anyway, it was really clever

ReputationRep:
    Great episode

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me that

Spoiler:
    Show
    saw the crack from the radiation and was reminded of that bloody crack in time??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Is it just me that

Spoiler:
    Show
    saw the crack from the radiation and was reminded of that bloody crack in time??
    Spoiler:
    Show
    to be fair it's hard to make a crack look different to other cracks lol, I don't think there was anything it anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    to be fair it's hard to make a crack look different to other cracks lol, I don't think there was anything it anyway
    It's not that hard :/ it looked bloody identical!

ReputationRep:
    It's not that hard :/ it looked bloody identical!
    calm down I think Moffats gonna just stick with missy, rather than bringing back that confusing plothole

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me that

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yep my thoughts too.

Also why are people spoiling tagging their thoughts on the episode? Simple rules are that if you haven't seen it when aired don't come into the thread.

I thought the episode was quite good. I enjoyed how once again we were reminded that the Doctor would make a good Dalek due to his deep rooted hatred.

Bit confused about how 'Rusty' was able to kill all the other Daleks without a single shot being made on him.

Also when they were shrunk an emphasis on breathing again. Might be something to listen out for in coming episodes. :holmes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.